Forums

Will technology ruin the game of chess?

Sort:
Jimmykay
ChezBoy wrote:

I notice how far technology has come, will it soon become impossible to catch cheaters because of new technology, hence, making the game not worth playing?

No.

pafbrook

this only means technology will change humans the battle between cheaters and technology will continue forever i guess but that will never spoil the fun for me to play a nice game of chess, and chess changed now into many new chessformats so we only got more chessgames we can play .

I like 960 chess for example thats hard to beat with technology

SocialPanda
pafbrook wrote:

this only means technology will change humans the battle between cheaters and technology will continue forever i guess but that will never spoil the fun for me to play a nice game of chess, and chess changed now into many new chessformats so we only got more chessgames we can play .

I like 960 chess for example thats hard to beat with technology

Engines can handle 960 chess as if it were any other chess position.

creepingdeath50
pafbrook wrote:

B fisher said a lot but kasparov played vs computers so if anyone could say something about that its him or try kramnik who played vs deep fritz in 2006 and lost 2 vs 4 

but does a computer kill chess? i dont think it does it only can be very frustrating to loose from a machine.

but as  computers develop new skills they still are invented by humans.

it could be that humans can be reinvented now themselves too ! science changes the world so now we got strong computers but soon we can have humans wearing upgrades connected to their brains too! or we even can change genes. where it leads?i guess noone can tell. in the future will human still be human or maybe cyborgs? 

watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1-YFbAifA 

Bionics, Transhumanism, and the end of Evolution (Full Documentary)

so if humans change will chess change?

I liked reading your comment and I agree, times change just like how the world changes it seems. People reinvent themselves also. Yet professionals would call it schizophrenia. I happen to believe we are all born into schizophrenia naturally and it just seems to show up in us naturally as we grow from immaturity to maturity. Chess I think is no different, because Bobby Fischer was the first person in history to change the way the game can be played. Now if I am wrong about that, I can own up to it if somebody is able to show me the proof, but as far as I can tell, I believe I am right about that. He may have hated Jewish people, or even come to have a seeming hatred for the USA (or some may have seen it that way), but I also believe that his hatred wasn't for the country its self, but for the leaders of the American government. He practiced his first amendment right and spoke honestly about what he believed. What happened? His own government sought to treat him like he was some kind of felon when he never even committed any crime when he practiced his first amendment right and seemed to want to put him on trial as though he was some kind of threat to the safety of the country.

How does anyone who wasn't there in Iceland actually know for sure if he was telling the truth or lieing when he said he believed that the Russians were trying to trying to listen in on him through the fillings in his teeth? They tried using their own tactics as well by saying that Fischer "planted" something in Spassky's chair. So, they are not innocent either. Fischer played to win in the 1972 championship.... and win he did.

Now on the topic of people becoming biomechanical or transhuman and all that bs, it is and always will be predicated that if a human becomes anything like a cyborg, it is because they made the conscious choice to willingly become that way, thus giving up not only their physical freedom and liberty, but their spirtual freedom and liberty as well.

yourChess

Will technology ruin the game of chess? 

Yes, they will.

TheGrobe

No, an exabyte database is nowhere near large enough, too small by many orders of magnitude.

Robert_New_Alekhine

Will Technology ruin the game of chess?

An interesting, much debated question. Personally, I do not really see, how it will ruin the game of chess.

In post #245, Shackoo made a good point: Engines will eventually analyze all chess positions. That is true, but however, I don't expect it to be humanlly possible to memorize the best move in all such positions.

Of course, generalizations about what moves are usually best to play in which type of position will help humans a lot, but many of these generalizations already exist, and there are countless exceptions.

In terms of cheating, computers help cheaters by a very large factor. But by scanning the area for electronics and other ways of detection (both for Over-the-Board games and Online Games), cheating is kept to a limit.

In any case, if chess is ruined by chess engines (unlikely, in my opinion), humans can always rely on Fischer Random chess or other formats such as Bughouse for at least a couple of centuries.

Thus, my answer to this question is: No.

Robert_New_Alekhine
Ed_Seedhouse wrote:
Robert0905 wrote:
In post #245, Shackoo made a good point: Engines will eventually analyze all chess positions. That is true.

Well no, it isn't.  You can only say this if you just don't understand how vastly BIG the game of chess is.  I know lots of people just don't get big numbers but all you need is a spreadsheet and some multiplication and division to show that this is not going to happen for a few billion years, if ever.

And even if it could be done the storage requirements to store all the possible positions and their solutions would require more matter than is in the visible universe.

Chess is BIG.  Really, really BIG.  Of course Go is even bigger, vastly bigger than chess.

Computers have already analyzed all six-piece positions. I said that it will Eventually happen, which means it will happen at some moment in time.

Murgen

Taikyoku Shogi anyone? Laughing

PilateBlue
Ed_Seedhouse wrote:
Robert0905 wrote:

Computers have already analyzed all six-piece positions. I said that it will Eventually happen, which means it will happen at some moment in time.

You just don't have any clue about big numbers, do you?  Six pieces isn't even a start on analysing the whole game.

It's hardly even a start on analyzing all seven-piece positions. Exponents are tough to comprehend. 

leiph18

Imagine 2^n

Saying we got from 2^0 to 2^6 doesn't mean we're half way to 2^12.

6 man table base is not even 1% of 1% of 1% etc.

fburton

A lesson on exponential growth should be compulsory in all school curricula.

kiwi-inactive

If it does, it's not in our life time.

varelse1

Technology HAS ruined the game of chess. Every since they started using those infernal clocks, chess has gone to the dogs.

Pulpofeira

He, he!

legionforthewin
varelse1 wrote:

Technology HAS ruined the game of chess. Every since they started using those infernal clocks, chess has gone to the dogs.

Ever since they made those"pawns", the game has gone mad

legionforthewin
petrosianpupil wrote:

Chess is a draw, even in the days of capablanca this was realised. People win because humans cannot calculate all the tactics or understand all the ideas of chess. Don't see how computers will change this. They may be able to one day prove the existence of the draw. A forklift truck might be designed that can lift a mountain, don't think it will stop weightlifting competitions.

Apperently, Computers Suggest Chess is NOT a draw and hence whoever Gos first has an advantage. Yes i know that computers are not perfect but doesn't going first give a "nudge' of delovopment advantage? White has a edge[according to me]

halfgreek1963

It already has. Have to endure endless nitwits commenting on games based on what their search engine tells them because they can't think for themselves. And the most hilarious part is that many comment this way as if they're gms and are critical of players 1000 x stronger.

AlCzervik

And that's why the game will be just fine for some time. Those nitwits you speak of will play in some otb games, and will only have the assistance of their minds.

Basically, the computer age has helped those that play straight, and hindered those that use it as a crutch.

dtrasatti

The disappointing part of technology in chess is that it's taken away the physical aspect of touching and feeling pieces. As I've been discussing in my other threads, my new project aims to bring some physical pieces market that will interact with our chess apps we enjoy on our tablets/ipads. There are options out there now with DGT boards and even Square Off. I applaud these developers for making a gorgeous product  with robust technology to preserve the tradition of a physical game board. Unfortunately, the price point isn't accessible. Only the most serious players or the wealthy can justify the cost on these devices. (begin shameless self promotion) My kickstarter aims to make this more accessible at only $15 USD.

CHECK IT OUT here!  http://kck.st/2QWsOYz