Forums

You should only be allowed to promote a pawn with a piece that has been captured

Sort:
Nick_Aris
Deadmanparty wrote:

In how many armies is the queen the most powerful person?  Pretty wimpy knights.

Many empires were ruled by empresses and kingdoms by queens.

In fact, between 1480 and 1913, Europe’s queens were 27% more likely than its kings to wage war, according to economists Oeindrila Dube and S.P. Harish.

Nick_Aris
RetiredImbecile wrote:
Example

You do know that in chess Kings are never captured, taken, killed or whatever because such an act would be improper.

Deadmanparty

I said warrior, not leader.  

Nick_Aris
RetiredImbecile wrote:

Qb8 = (pawn on b8), then b8=N would be mate. Nothing would be captured, taken, killed, or whatchamacallit.

The white King is missing I think

Nick_Aris
Deadmanparty wrote:

I said warrior, not leader.  

hmm, interesting. Maybe we should indeed factor in her political, diplomatic and leading powers to arrive to her massive powers in chess. Maybe? Rook-towers moving is also a problem... Artillery might have been a better option

Nick_Aris
RetiredImbecile wrote:
Nick_Aris wrote:
RetiredImbecile wrote:

Qb8 = (pawn on b8), then b8=N would be mate. Nothing would be captured, taken, killed, or whatchamacallit.

I was just illustrating how my idea could work. I wasn't showing an exact position in a game. I updated the position. Happy now?

Of course! Thank you! :cookie:

But what was the point of the example?

Nick_Aris
RetiredImbecile wrote:
Nick_Aris wrote:
RetiredImbecile wrote:
Nick_Aris wrote:
RetiredImbecile wrote:

I was just illustrating how my idea could work. I wasn't showing an exact position in a game. I updated the position. Happy now?

Of course! Thank you! :cookie:

But what was the point of the example?

To show how the queen could promote to another piece. 

It's more of a demotion to be honest, but why would we need to do that? The initial problem was that of a second queen appearing out of thin air instead of a pawn freeing a captured piece.