your favourite for tatasteel chess tornament anand,carlsen ,sergey or some other

  • #41

    In this tournament thus far, the player who plays white has won 26 games. Those playing black have won 13 games. There has been 45 draws out of 84 gamesWink

    edit because of boo booEmbarassed

  • #42

    I'd take the field over Carlsen in the Candidates Tournament, but I wouldn't feel good about it.

  • #43

    I don't know how anyone is going to beat Carlsen in the candidates? He seems to be able to win whenever he feels like it. 

  • #44

    Assuming Carlsen wins the candidates I still think Anand will beat him in match play . Anand has a + record against Carlsen in classical and rapid games and has proven he can win matches against top players like Kramnik, Karpov and Topalov..... Carlsen hasnt . 

  • #45

    I'm beginning to think that Carlsen might be the best of all time.  Like Fischer in the 1970-72 years, he is light-years ahead of the pack.

  • #46

    Carlsen didn't beat Aronian or Anand in this tournament and still leads by +7 vs Anand's +4. 

    If the tournament was the top 4 candidates (Carlsen, Aronian, Kramnik and one other) playing a quadruple round robin, Carlsen would only be a slight favorite. But in this setting, I would take Carlsen over the field. I just don't see Aronian or Kramnik keeping up with Carlsen. 

  • #47

    What do I win?

  • #48
    Reb wrote:

    Assuming Carlsen wins the candidates I still think Anand will beat him in match play . Anand has a + record against Carlsen in classical and rapid games and has proven he can win matches against top players like Kramnik, Karpov and Topalov..... Carlsen hasnt . 

    If the Anand who made that plus record were playing the Carlsen he beat, perhaps.  Since November 2010, Anand has lost 20 rating points and Carlsen has gained 72. 

    Since Anand defeated Kramnik and Topalov, he squeaked by Gelfand and if not for Boris' horrific blunder game, was losing the match.

    These are two career paths headed in quite different directions.

  • #49

    I do quite honestly feel Carlson is the best, but my vote goes to Anand I have sympathy for his perseverance.

  • #50

    I think a win by Anand over Carlsen would be the best thing to happen to chess. Carlsen seems like an unstoppable force right now. If Anand can show that match play really is more difficult than tournament play, Carlsen will have to regroup and improve his play! That would be fantastic for chess!

  • #51

    Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

  • #52
    SmyslovFan wrote:

    Carlsen didn't beat Aronian or Anand in this tournament ............... 

    He had Black in both those games, give him a break.Laughing

    What stands out for me in this tournament:

    • only Anand and Carlsen have not lost any games
    • Caruana's weak performance (2635 vs 2781 rating)
    • Leko's strong performance (2800 vs 2735 rating)
  • #53

    Agreed with @SmyslovsCat above, if Carlsen loses and rededicates himself to chess, it will be everybody's gain.

  • #54
    gridironassassin wrote:

    Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

    Lol what a joke. Anand is nowhere near being "The best player to ever play".

  • #55

    Reality check: it's not where you've been, it is where you are headed, and how fast.

    On the November 2010 FIDE list, Anand achieved his stated goal of taking back the #1 position from Carlsen.  He was 2804 to Carlsen's 2802.  A total of 18 points separated #1 from #5 (Topalov).

    Just over two years later, what has happened?  Anand has lost 25 points and dropped to #6 in the world.  Kramnik and Aronian each gained about 10 points. 

    Carlsen gained 70 points in the same period.  He is 62 points ahead of #2 Kramnik.  He is 86 points ahead of #5 Karjakin.

     

    It doesn't take a statistical genius to notice that Carlsen has been putting distance between himself and the rest, and the gap is widening, not narrowing.

  • #56
    Rasparovov wrote:
    gridironassassin wrote:

    Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

    Lol what a joke. Anand is nowhere near being "The best player to ever play".

    4 straight world championships and the current world champion is where Viswanathan Anand is sitting right now. You've probably never seen a game like the way he destroyed Aronian with the black pieces in this tatasteel tournament.  Say it out loud, "Anand is the best player to ever play!" 

  • #57
    gridironassassin wrote:
    Rasparovov wrote:
    gridironassassin wrote:

    Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

    Lol what a joke. Anand is nowhere near being "The best player to ever play".

    4 straight world championships and the current world champion is where Viswanathan Anand is sitting right now. You've probably never seen a game like the way he destroyed Aronian with the black pieces in this tatasteel tournament.  Say it out loud, "Anand is the best player to ever play!" 

    Oh I've seen alot of games and that game against Aronian was indeed very good but it was a lot of opening preparation. 
    "Anand is not the best player to ever play!" 

  • #58

    If Anand were the best player to ever play, why was he always a perpetual #3 to K and K, until Karpov began his decline phase.

    Don't get me wrong - Anand is an awesome player. I was counseled to NOT study his games, almost because he is too awesome of a player.

    Of course, studying almost any top player's games is a good idea, that's not the point here. But when you have limited time to do the study, you should pick a player who is understandable, where you can kind of see why they do what they do. My teacher says that Anand is a very intuitive player, and you would encounter too often the times when he plays some move (a great move) but it's sort of out of the blue. Instead I'm studying Kramnik.

  • #59
    Rasparovov wrote:
    gridironassassin wrote:
    Rasparovov wrote:
    gridironassassin wrote:

    Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

    Lol what a joke. Anand is nowhere near being "The best player to ever play".

    4 straight world championships and the current world champion is where Viswanathan Anand is sitting right now. You've probably never seen a game like the way he destroyed Aronian with the black pieces in this tatasteel tournament.  Say it out loud, "Anand is the best player to ever play!" 

    Oh I've seen alot of games and that game against Aronian was indeed very good but it was a lot of opening preparation. 
    "Anand is not the best player to ever play!" 

    The rook ending by Viswanathan Anand that clinched 1st place in the Grenke tournament was of world class championship level.   How many times must Anand win and how many championships must he win to be rightly recognized as the world's greatest chess player? Will you now concede that Anand is the greatest chess player of all time?

or Join

Online Now