Forums

Banned Player Games Disappeared???

Sort:
HoldemRulzOK

Recently one of my opponents were banned for cheating and when his time expired instead of appearing in my game archive as being wins for me and losses for this player in his archive they totally disappeared without adjustment for rating, my rating did not go up when he lost on time. This is mainly directed to staff as it may indicate a bug. This same banned player was put on auto vacation before he lost his games on time. Any ideas?

panandh

Wow. by the way how did you know, he put on "auto-vacation". I mean is the game first stalled for the reason vacation before time-out.

HoldemRulzOK

The 2 games I was playing against him went into vacation mode. I went into his game list and he was a few minutes away from losing his first game on time due to his account being closed then for some strange reason auto vacation kicked in preventing him from timing out. Staff have since fixed this. However now the games no longer exist (don't appear in my archive) but I have since discovered that I got the rating points.

panandh

If you are an average player (1200-1600), I would have said, dont bother about the ratings, you will get your true rating by playing more games.

I would like to say, whatever rating increase you are about to get is from a cheat who cheated many other players and got whatever ranking he was. The increase in your ranking from these games purely depends on how much cheat he made. However your effort on the game is obtaining a position against a chess engine (I assume). 1. Your effort 2. The ratings of cheat. It is conflicting things. One says you should get the ratings, other says you should not get the ratings.

Just consider this way, you have the ability to beat a chess engine in CC. And ask yourself, whether you really want the increase in rating from chess engines? If you are entitled to get the increase in rating, then every player playing against chess engine (in CC) is also entitled to get the ratings. There is no mention of these things in chess.com

Anyway, All the best for rest of your matches.

erik

games with fewer than 4 moves don't count and are not stored.

HoldemRulzOK

Eric, the games against this player were close to 20 moves at the time he was banned so I assume they should still appear in my game archive list as well as his, I did end up getting the rating points for these forfeit games when he eventually did time out. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this but just curious as to why they don't form part of my game history.

HoldemRulzOK
panandh wrote:

If you are an average player (1200-1600), I would have said, dont bother about the ratings, you will get your true rating by playing more games.

I would like to say, whatever rating increase you are about to get is from a cheat who cheated many other players and got whatever ranking he was. The increase in your ranking from these games purely depends on how much cheat he made. However your effort on the game is obtaining a position against a chess engine (I assume). 1. Your effort 2. The ratings of cheat. It is conflicting things. One says you should get the ratings, other says you should not get the ratings.

Just consider this way, you have the ability to beat a chess engine in CC. And ask yourself, whether you really want the increase in rating from chess engines? If you are entitled to get the increase in rating, then every player playing against chess engine (in CC) is also entitled to get the ratings. There is no mention of these things in chess.com

Anyway, All the best for rest of your matches.

Thanks for your input, I often wonder if I really want the increase in rating resulting from banned players. I sometimes feel that it does artifically inflate your rating especially if the game is still only in the opening or early middlegame and the position is evenly balanced. In this case you get rating points without actually showing any superiority however if you happen to have an advantageous position against the cheater at the time of him being banned then that's different, you've out played him to an extent and deserve the rating points. I'm sure what happens fairly frequently is the banned player may be playing a legal game against you therefore playing much weaker but was using assistance against other players hence him being caught for cheating. I've been the recipient of rating points quite a few times now due to my opponents being banned for cheating which pushed me up past the 2400 rating mark. To be honest this inflated my rating beyond my current playing ability however your rating will correct itself eventually as you play more games. I knew I was over rated at my highest (due to banned players) and I was right as I lost a few games to players in this league or above and my rating dropped to the low 2300's to where it should be.

TheOldReb
erik wrote:

Does this also apply in tournaments and/or team matches ? Is this also applicable in cases where a player just resigns before move 4 or lets his time run out ?

panandh
Reb wrote:
erik wrote:

Does this also apply in tournaments and/or team matches ? Is this also applicable in cases where a player just resigns before move 4 or lets his time run out ?

I don't know about storing part, but definitely the rating is unaffected.