Forums

BCF rating

Sort:
Abarai

what is BCF rating?

lochness88
Harry07 wrote:

what is BCF rating?.

British Chess Federation rating, I think they range typically from about 100 to 185 (low scores).

akibathepenguin

formula was (fide - 600)/8 = bcf, then they tried (fide - 1250)/5 = bcf on which everyone immediately called nonsense.  i think the new one is (fide - 650)/8 = bcf.

britain, for some reason, needs to be different :)

sstteevveenn

Actually, only England sees the need to be different.  Wales, and I think Scotland, both use elo rating systems. 

MadAsAHatter

does the chess.com rating translate into a BCF rating?

d4e4

Yes...multiply it by zero.

cofail
lochness88 wrote:
Harry07 wrote:

what is BCF rating?.

British Chess Federation rating, I think they range typically from about 100 to 185 (low scores).

that's about right, they go from about 0-260

Tripelkonzert
Germany had a similar system before called INGO rating. Formula was approximately FIDE= 2840- (INGO x 8), so players had typically ratings between 0-300, whereas lower meant better. They switched in the 90ies however.
russellhalifax

its all relative since its based on rewarding one player over another. I believe the BCF system is broadly based on the stat that a 120 player beats a 110 player 6/10 times, for FIDE it might be 1800 vs 1750. Its only ever an indicator of where you are in the pecking order.

russellhalifax

its all relative since its based on rewarding one player over another. I believe the BCF system is broadly based on the stat that a 120 player beats a 110 player 6/10 times, for FIDE it might be 1800 vs 1750. Its only ever an indicator of where you are in the pecking order.

russellhalifax

this is true, however I am sure that a large majority of players still refer to the BCF grades as a generic expression like Hoover for vacuum cleaner &c.  Cool

russellhalifax

this is true, however I am sure that a large majority of players still refer to the BCF grades as a generic expression like Hoover for vacuum cleaner &c.  Cool

quinndiesel74

Conversion between ECF / BCF grade  and FIDE rating

ECF x 8 + 650 = FIDE
(FIDE - 650) / 8 = ECF[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECF_grading_system

mariceldelara
d4e4 wrote:

Yes...multiply it by zero.

lol

natashaandboris

ECF superseded the now defunct BCF. The formulas have changed over the years but the current conversion is:   FIDE = [ECF x 7.5] + 700, which implies that you are at 700 just for sending in your dues (like US Chess / USCF which has a minimum of 100). So, a few examples: an ECF rating of 200 = FIDE 2200. ECF 100 = FIDE 1450 and ECF 150 = FIDE 1825. I don't know the latest developments in England but there were past rumblings about converting entirely to FIDE. Could be some issues there with FIDE membership fees?