Forums

Bug?

Sort:
50kg

My daily rating was 2064. 

Today it suddenly jumped up to 2364 without any reason. What happened?

Strangemover

https://www.chess.com/news/view/daily-chess-ratings-adjusted

50kg

Sorry, I missed news.

But... it looks weird! 2364 look extremely high for me...

Strangemover

Yeah I'm a little unsure myself as I will also jump to 2300+ and I never even went 2100+ before...the reasoning behind it is not really explained in the news article. 

BaronVonChickenpants

EVeryone else you are playing at the new 2350 range will be the same people you were playing at the 2050 range, so your opponents will still be the same strength

50kg
BaronVonChickenpants wrote:

EVeryone else you are playing at the new 2350 range will be the same people you were playing at the 2050 range, so your opponents will still be the same strength

Then, why to inflate ratings?

Strangemover

Yeah...so what's the point in adjusting the ratings? 

Checkmate_Blank

I assume its to spread the players out more. It's possible the skill gap between 2 people of the same rating was more than it should be.

50kg
Checkmate_Blank wrote:

I assume its to spread the players out more. It's possible the skill gap between 2 people of the same rating was more than it should be.

But it's inflate rating. For instance, even before this adjustment chess.com ratings were much higher then fide. 

Checkmate_Blank

correct, they are inflated. However, that is meaningless if they deemed this the solution to a problem.

50kg
theendgame3 wrote:

did you get any pints back because of cheaters?

Yes, I did. So what?

TheDarkChessGod

what????

Reccossu

My daily rating jumped similarly.  But my opponents' did not.  This has to be a bug.   How best to communicate it to an admin?

Martin_Stahl
Reccossu wrote:

My daily rating jumped similarly.  But my opponents' did not.  This has to be a bug.   How best to communicate it to an admin?

It is not a bug. But not all ratings were done at once; your opponent's should update at some point.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/daily-chess-ratings-adjusted

Reccossu

Thanks, Martin.  Well, I hope no games resolve before theirs are adjusted I guess.

Strangemover

Now states at the top of the news article that these ratings will be reverted. First it giveth then it taketh away.