Forums

Greeter Program

Sort:
RunawayKnight

Am I wasting my time?  I volunteered for the greeter program not too long ago.  I stated that I can take 10 new people at a time.  As each person starts a game I "greet" each with a note in the chat bar saying "Hello!!  If you have any questions please ask."  I even sent a PM to most saying the same.

My accomplishments!!  At least 25 people have started, no one got past move 4 before they quit.  Most do not even get to move 1. Only one used the chat bar, made a move and then posted "When are you going to f...ing move".  And that was about 3 min after he made move 1 as White.  

What else can I do or am I wasting my time?

Chuck

lakeland

It is a shame but it does sound like you are wasting your time, why do people even bother joining if they don't even move. Its a weird cyber-culture we live in with someone talking to a volunteer like that.

I have never greeted but it was great to have someone play a game of chess with me when i started on chess.com.

GnosticMoron

Most greeter games don't mature into many moves. I assume this is because most new players are more interested in Live Chess.

As far as accomplishment goes, I just think of my greeter role as a bit of volunteerism and don't expect much.

TadDude

Some greeters are saddened by the task and quit greeting. This aspect of the decreased enjoyment of their current members, compared to the increased possibility of attracting new members, should be considered by staff.

The abuse from newcomers who do not realize this is a "friendly" site, and as well are expecting live games, is a recurring concern.

Perhaps the greeter game should only be available to those who can navigate their way through a few more clicks than they do now. Maybe a short questionnaire to determine if they are willing to play one move every three days against someone who may not be on the site right now.

RunawayKnight

Maybe live chess should not be offered until the "new person" has an established rating in the correspondence side of the house since this is primarily a correspondence site.  

At least until they can navigate the site and demonstrate a willingness to play a cordial game of chess.  I have seen complaints of abuse in the live games as well. 

Maybe the "live chess" can be offered as a "premium" benefit for joining.

A lot of maybes!!

RichColorado

some one deleted the remark.

chanhtu

Maybe the program should be offered as an optional function for new members. There could be a pop-up window at registration to ask if the new member would be interested in meeting a "greeter" who could give them pointers on the site (how to navigate, how to post new forum without getting hammered by what they say, etc.) and an unrated game to get acquainted (either correspondence or live). That way if the member is "less than friendly," he would not pick that option and the greeter would not be wasting his time. That way, only those who are really wanting to learn would be contacted.

GnosticMoron
chanhtu wrote:

Maybe the program should be offered as an optional function for new members. There could be a pop-up window at registration to ask if the new member would be interested in meeting a "greeter" who could give them pointers on the site (how to navigate, how to post new forum without getting hammered by what they say, etc.) and an unrated game to get acquainted (either correspondence or live). That way if the member is "less than friendly," he would not pick that option and the greeter would not be wasting his time. That way, only those who are really wanting to learn would be contacted.

I think the way it currently works is a little bit like this, but might benefit from being made a little more explicit as you suggest here.

When I first signed up for basic membership earlier this year (checks the time to see that phrasing is still true for a few more hours), I was asked if I wanted to be set up with an unrated correspondence game. I forget some of the particulars, though, as I had just slogged through the details of registering for the site.

chanhtu

GnosticMoron, I didn't remember being given such an option. It seemed like it was automatic for me. But I may have forgotten the specifics while, as you said, "slogging through the registration process."

RunawayKnight

I think the "greeter" program is a nice to have function.  It is a nice way to answer any questions about the site and a way of introducing some of the very many good features this site has.

I would however, give the new guy the White pieces in the greeter program.  That way they could initiate the first move and any questions that they may have.  

Chuck

ailmil

No, you are not wasting your time!

If it was not you and greeter program I would not learned how to play rated games and would probably leave this siteso keep working as before to help others as you helped me ...:-)

waffllemaster

When I first got on a site like this (this was before chess.com was around) I thought it was live chess... and after making my first move I saw some text saying my opponent had 3 days to respond.  I thought "well that's a bunch of crap" and never logged back in lol :)

I think most new people don't know the difference between "online chess" and "live chess"  (maybe they should more appropriately call is turn-based or even correspondence).

Those that do want someone to help them learn the site find people like you useful though, so just ignore those 1 move games.

Vease

Wow, I just joined yesterday and bypassed that start screen that asked if you wanted to play a game straight away..I hope I didn't offend whoever was set to be my 'greeter', I just didn't understand the concept..Does that mean some poor sap has made a move and is expecting me to reply somewhere?

RichColorado

I went to the greeter after being here a year and a half. I saw do you want to play a game and I accepted. I made a move and the greeter responded. I made another move and then silence . . . . . . . .

Nothing . . . .  then I saw respond in three days? . . . I tried to change that but then I resigned i didn't want to wait 3 days for the greeter. Then they lowered some kind of score of mine and made me a 965 what ever that means. . . . 

The greeter never said welcome and I never heard from the greeter ever. Kinda useless.

Vance917

I had essentially the same experience as the OP, so I stopped being a greeter.

TadDude
Vease wrote:

Wow, I just joined yesterday and bypassed that start screen that asked if you wanted to play a game straight away..I hope I didn't offend whoever was set to be my 'greeter', I just didn't understand the concept..Does that mean some poor sap has made a move and is expecting me to reply somewhere?

No. http://www.chess.com/echess/profile/Vease

Appears you are in need of a greeter.

RunawayKnight
Vance917 wrote:

I had essentially the same experience as the OP, so I stopped being a greeter.

That is what I did!!

GnosticMoron

I'm taking some time off from being a greeter. At some point I'm pretty sure I'll switch it back on, because I have managed to get a few games out of the deal.