Forums

No Sound On My Opponent’s Moves

Sort:
Ballofwhacks

As far as the thread's main subject, I never play with the sound on, so I haven't experienced this issue before.

learningthemoves

Sound is dubious?

UTBear
Ronnee wrote:

Your opponent is probably SWITCHING from sound to no sound just to confuse you. When that happens PLEASE TURN OFF ....your....sound so you can confuse him. 9/10 times an opponent gets the message. I dislike stealth players so I play them at their own game, TWO silent players or 2 sounding players............thats fair.

It's not fair, it's a waste of my time.  Like a give a cr*p about my online rating.  Too many players like that and I'll just play somewhere else.

UTBear

Biggest problem is when you look up at the board and miss your opponent's move.  You may only lose a few seconds but it can be very annoying in a blitz game.  No, no advantage.  Not trying for one, just want to enjoy the game.

mados123

Same issue here.  As for everybody's 'advice' and 2 cents regarding "Why is sound so important" etc., you are missing the point of the OP's concern which is totally valid.  If one guy has normal sound while the other doesn't, it's like playing with a disadvantage.

MongooseMaltLiquor

Dude, this no sound is getting rediculous for me.  About 2/3's of the time I can't hear anything.  In one minute, people move so fast that you can't see the move so you rely on the sound.  Sometimes 5 seconds or more go by until I realized the opponent moved.  I can't play here anymore.  I'm posting this as a last ditch attempt before I leave the site.

MatteoGuainazzi

Dear Chess.com fans,

any news on the status of this issue? I have experienced it on an iPad and a MacOSX computer (with Firefox), so I guess it is a genuine bug. Is it true that this behaviour might be due to my opponent not having set-up "Play Sounds" in her/his settings? In this case, I would have encountered only silent players so far ... ;-). I tend to be skeptical of this explanation. If this is **not** the case, a clarification from the developers would help.

I thank in advance anyone with a useful suggestion.

Thanks, Matteo

P.S.: the issue is important for me, because I use my own board and pieces to play the games. If a sound is not played when my opponent moves, I can lose precious time. However, in practial terms this behaviour implies that my attention switches continuously from the board to the screen and vice versa, and I lose concentration.

axleaday

ON CHESS.COM I GET AN E-MAIL, WHEN IT IS MY TURN TO MAKE A MOVE, I I CAN BE ACTIVE ON MY COMPUTER, WAITING FOR OPPONENT TO MOVE, IT WOULD BE NICE TO GET A SPEAKERS NOTICE  (SOUNDS) ..WHEN IT IS YOUR TURN TO MOVE? THAT WOULD SPEED UP THE GAMES A LOT, IMO.

rnbrnb2007

Started to happen to me today, no sound on my oponent's movsangry.png

Dkemm22

Happening to me too today sad.png

AngryPumpkin

Happening to me too.  MacOS using both Safari and Chrome, tried restarting the browser and the computer and it didn't help.

Mitch408

Same problem for me. Just one opponent had no sound. That explains it. He have be using no sound in his settings.

Mitch408

Under Settings - Board and Pieces, one can turn sound on and off.  That one opponent turned sound off.

totallynotangry

I've just trained myself to really pay attention. I often play with the sound off so I have never noticed anything wrong about the sound. if I have noticed it, I probably said that it was me.

hgp123

I'm experiencing this issue as well but only on one device. My phone, tablet and laptop work normally but my desktop does not. Was a fix ever identified? In another thread somebody recommended clearing the browser cache. I have already done that and it did not help.

sqwares_jmk

I'm pretty sure this is a genuine bug. The reasons are: when I play the "Computer" on chess.com, it makes normal alert sound with each move. When I play my friend on chess.com in Live chess,  he says that HE hears the alert sound when I make a move. But I do not hear one. Regardless of the browser.  And I already played around with the all the "Settings" and tried everything. 

So it's a BUG which unfortunately, after all this time, chess.com is still ignoring. 

hgp123

I think I've managed to solve this issue. For me it was an extension that disables autoplay of videos but in this case it was also disabling the move sounds. Once I added chess.com to the exceptions list in the extension, I was able to hear my opponent's moves.

robertbrandywine

This started happening for me several months ago.  First, let me say that I don't think this has anything to do with your opponent turning off sound on his end.  His sound settings only effect what he hears.

Following hgp123s advice, I deleted the extension that prevented auto-play of videos and briefly thought I had fixed the problem, but it just became intermittent on both the opponent's moves and MY moves.  However, now focused on extensions, I turned off the AdBlock Plus extension on Chess.com and now the sound works as it should!