Forums

"Connection Interrupted"

Sort:
everythingissound
fret wrote:

This is an issue that has come up within the last few days. Here's one example: A screenshot of a game where apparently my opponent times out within a few moves (http://gyazo.com/a2f0efe6ba6d35dff0e7c37b40b5f910.png; note the time left on both players clocks), when in reality it apparently was me who timed out (I took the screenshot after re-enterring the Live-Play area; http://gyazo.com/4125486caf422ee125bced3357db7d5e.png). In this particular case, I never even got a "connection problem" message at all. Usually, though, I do, but only after having lost ~20sec from my time.

I'm sitting on a 10Mbit internet connection and I've rund numerou speedtests, so the issue not my end here. There are numerous games in my blitz games history of the last two days showing me timing out in utterly won situations. This is quite aggravating, as a very simple fix would be to have the timer disregarding time spent on connection-related issues (such as it is handled on ICC, for example).

I'm playing on both a desktop and a laptop computer under both Chrome and Mozilla, both on Vista and with all Win/Chrome/FF updates installed.

It is quite aggravating and seemingly the "Help Chat" is just a way to drown criticism, as I haven't ever received an actual answer or reaction from Staff there. So perhaps putting it here will have more success

+1

ColonelKnight

Connection was particularly bad over the last hour or so

sozagucan

I cannot play a single game without having this nonsense ' connection error' problem. I tried playing on Mozilla, Chrome, IE with a 100MB net connection. Total nonsense.. This issue does not fit to this great website(in general).

We-Are-One

The connection interrupted notice has happend often the last week or so, and I use Firefox.  And yes, I am always winning when it happens, and the consequent result is either a loss or draw (when all opponent pieces have been killed but king and bishop/knight.  This is getting really irksome.

merlinextralight

something just changed. Never had pop up ads on the left before. Now the ads on the left column are crashing IE.

I can get on with Chrome, with those ads, but not with IE.

Pisses me off.   F'up the free version to steer people to buying the premium is BS.

I'll just walk and its one less person clicking on ads.

sozagucan

it doesn't have anything to do with winning by the way for me, because I get the same error while even I am watching others' game

bazzle12
merlinextralight wrote:

something just changed. Never had pop up ads on the left before. Now the ads on the left column are crashing IE.

I can get on with Chrome, with those ads, but not with IE.

Pisses me off.   F'up the free version to steer people to buying the premium is BS.

I'll just walk and its one less person clicking on ads.

I have a feeling a lot of us are going to end up walking!

jaclyn

Hi guys. So first, @fret- Please let me know what browser and operating system you're using, what type of connection as well (wifi or wired & cable, DSL, or Dialup). Our team has been looking into this issue. The same goes for anyone else whos clock randomly "flips" like he's described.

@merlinextralight- We need to know what version of IE you're using. You could be using an outdated version of ie. Do you have any issues with the ads on the main site? In any case our goal is NOT to screw up the playing with ads so people can't enjoy free play. Ads are just necessary keep the site free. 

We-Are-One

jac1yn: As I noted before, browser is laterst version of Mozilla Firefox.  OS: Windows 7, quad core, extensive ram, Broadband cable connection.  Never had this issue until about one week ago.  Nothing has been changed on my side to account for recent "connection interrupted" error with subsequent time missing. 

Wishbone1965

Having the same problem with a brand new sony vaio laptop. It's less than 2 weeks old. Bought it specifically for playing chess and chess software. I have a 5 year old  macbook pro but as you might guess it's not software friendly when it comes to chess. For the last few days I can't play at all on the sony vaio because of connectivity problems. The old mac works perfect and I have to play on it. Would really love to fix this issue. Thanks

piotr

Please let me know how it looks now. Just made a configuration change, so please reopen Live Chess if you are logged in right now. Does it change anything in your experience? Thank you

fret

Seems to work better - at least I didn't have connection problems in my last games. I've tried disabling my virus scanner/firewall (Kaspersky) - which worked as well. So I guess it has to do with some blocked ports or w/e. Why this came up two days ago all of a sudden and not before that, I don't know.

@jac1yn: I've given my comp specs in my first post. I play from both Laptop (w-lan; Vista Home; Firefox) and Desktop (LAN; Vista Pro; Chrome), on a 10Mbit Cable connection. Both run KIS 2012. Both on automatic updates for everything.

everythingissound

I have still high lag(poor connection). I have this issue for 1 week..

everythingissound

actually it has also worked for me after disabling my security software(kaspersky). I have no idea, why it has come up without any reason..

Wishbone1965

Sitll have poor connection high lag this morning. Only had this issue for a week as well. Very disappointing. Just purchased a diamond membership and its very frustrating! I also use kaspersky security. I have the free 30 day trail version on my new laptop. Do you think this could be the issue?

piotr

Starmember/Wishbone: could you clear your cache in the browser and retry (perhaps you are still using our older configuration, so let's double check here)? Also, what browsers and internet connection are you using?

K-Sergey
SactoEd wrote:

The connection interrupted notice has happend often the last week or so, and I use Firefox.  And yes, I am always winning when it happens, and the consequent result is either a loss or draw (when all opponent pieces have been killed but king and bishop/knight.  This is getting really irksome.

Same here. It start happening last week. When I have Winning position

- display becoming foggy, message about disconnection appear, opponents time running but after few min I have message that game no more active and I lost. Using Chrome.

Something definetly is not right in chess.com kingdom. Needs to be fixed.

Wishbone1965
piotr wrote:

Starmember/Wishbone: could you clear your cache in the browser and retry (perhaps you are still using our older configuration, so let's double check here)? Also, what browsers and internet connection are you using?

You will have to forgive my computer illiterance. I do ok for an old guy lol. Would you mind telling me how to clear the cache? The browser is internet explorer. I'm assuming its the newest version becasuse the pc is less than 2 weeks old.

Wishbone1965

After researching this I don't think it could be the cache. As mentioned before the pc is only 2 weeks old and I haven't been on the internet much at all except for this site. It worked perfectly for the fist week (very strong connection).

jaclyn

@Wishbone1965- This website will compile all the browser version/operating system information for you :) http://thismachine.info/

(Please don't post your IP on here of course.)

There are general instructions on how to clear your browsing cache located here: http://support.chess.com/Troubleshooter/Step/View/2

If the above instructions aren't doing the trick I can give you more specific instructions once I get the browser info. Just as a general note we do suggest that you use Chrome or Firefox over Internet Explorer. Chrome tends to be a bit more stable.