Forums

"Connection Interrupted"

Sort:
deNigris

dear Mr. Kohai,

I use Internet Explorer 8 and i had problems with the message "connection interrupted...reconnecting. I must confirm that the situation has drastically improved recently, though you were not in the position to confirm that the disconnection is done intentionally by players cheating always at my disadvantage.

Can you please confirm that there is no way by players to provoke intentionally the disconnection (not the red one) so as to take time from the opponent when they are loosing. Have you ever experienced directly the consequence of "connection interrupted..."? . Please given me this time a clear and definite reply on this crucial point.

With kind regards

Maurizio de Nigris

Edrosian

I am using Firefox. How does someone control the situation in a way to run the opponent out of time? Youre right no need in getting upset. I dont. I would, however, like to see how some of those games would turn out. How in the world could an 1500 player cheat. When I say how could they ... I dont mean morally ( thats easy) but the technology fasinates. I dont spell well. lol

erik
Players cannot impact other players' clocks or connections. Period.
Edrosian

Good one of the post above suggested that I just couldnt believe there was a way to do that. (-:  So anyway, suggestions for me?? Like I said I use Firefox is there anything else I should ckeck for?

erik

get good, solid, non-wifi internet. and use the best browser: google chrome

Edrosian

Thanks

deNigris

Dear Mr. Kohai,

It appears a lost battle. You confirm that the "connection interrupted...reconnecting" is due to poor connection of our internet provider and/or to the operating system used. In addition, you affirm that players cannot impact on other player' clock. As a said in many occasions it is singular that this always happens when the opponent is in a critical game situation. When the windows message appears your chess board is blocked and you only see the opponent' clock continuing going down. On reconnection, the situation is completely different. The opponent's clock is regaining all the lost time and your clock is showing all the lost time since the disconnection or in many cases the time is completely gone with consequent loss of the game. This does not seem to be fair. Would it not be possible to freeze the situation at disconnection and to resume the game exactly at the point when the disconnection happened, i.e same position and unchanged time for both players. I don't know if this is feasible with the present software but please consider this suggestion seriously. It could be a great improvement and would avoid many claims.

In any case many thanks for your suggestons. I will try to do my best on the technical side but please keep under review this problem that is affecting so many players.

Best regards.

Maurizio de Nigris - Rome

Edrosian

Timeseal is the solution. Most other sites have it. I know its just a game but to work so hard at getting a won game to lose it that way. I havent won more than two games on time but I have lost 90% of my games on time.

When the recconect problem hits I lose sight of the board when/if I get recconected I have to regroup my thoughts sometimes it is right here where I blunders because suddenly I am severe time trouble.

I love this site the atmosphere is great. I joined Playchess.com I really dont like them. The benefits of a premium membership were way over stated. Not helpfull at all, video lessons are not free except the ones that are on youtube anyway. A real scam but at least i have a site to play live chess on that will not disconect me. I dont want to go to ICC I would rather pay more here and get time seal.

the great  Edrosian

brandonmegatron

I'm also getting the conection interupted message and I'm using chrome. It's goddamn enoying. Wtf is going on staff?

another_user_name

This is wierd and at the moment, it's happening to me all the time. One thing I noticed, though, is that if I use a VPN connection like this one: http://hidemyass.com/ then I don't have a problem. Otherwise it's constant. Not sure how this is possible unless by design? Why would my IP have an impact?

Whilst it's frustrating and losing points makes it harder to get a good game, I find it hard to believe anyone would go to this extent to cheat. 

Spiegelberg

This happens to me for about a week. I can confirm "another_user_name". I think there must have been some changes about a week ago that caused this problem to re-occur.

What has been said suggests that it might have something to do with IP issues. Could the devs please take a look at this?

EDIT: this happens to me on chrome, Firefox and all others. Using "simple board" does not help either.

ElKapello
[COMMENT DELETED]
Spiegelberg

This problem seems to be fixed now. Everything worked as normal today.

If anybody fixed it, thank you very much! 

pogak007

It's not yet fixed...Pls... somebody....  

TheWizardOfOzz

I have discovered a way to "deal with it" so you don't loose game to abandonment. I use firefox browser & have multiple tabs open & on the chess.com page. When I get an interupt I just go to my other tabs and click on the orange square that says PLAY LIVE CHESS. i DO THIS ON AT LEAST 2 - 3 NEW TABS. It WILL RECONNECT ME TO THE GAME BUT YOU WILL LOOSE SOME TIME BUT AT LEAST YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME OUT. THE CHEATS WILL KEEP DISCONNECTING YOU BUT YOU WILL KEEP RECONNECTING BY DOING THIS & PROBABLY FRUSTRATE THEM. I PLAY ALL MY GAMES NOW AT 45 MINS TO ALLOW FOR THE CHEATS. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO OTHERS AS I AM SURE THEY EXPERIENCE THIS ALSO. MAYBE IF ENOUGH OF US KNOW THIS IT WILL CUT BACK ON THE CHEATS, AS THEY SEE THEIR METHOD IS NO LONGER EFFECTIVE.

helihenrie

I finally realised that my opponent can somehow interrupt my connection. It was too obvious that in many cases where I was winning suddenly the connection went bad. Now, I have tried to find the ''seek graph'' option under settings but was not able to find it. I am using Macbook by the way so it has nothing to do with IE9 at my end. Please assist.

bazzle12

The people running this website need to address this issue and come up with a solution before all their members leave for good.

ulul

What happened to the game that I was playing? this is the 4th time I report this ,and it keeps disappearing just like my games. then my rating keeps dropping ???

sambo84

I have the same problem .When Im playing chess almost every play I have problem with the message "connection interrupted...reconnecting ....and it appears that I lose the game by the time. Its impossible to play like that. Do sth with it .... I mean the operator of the site...

fret

This is an issue that has come up within the last few days. Here's one example: A screenshot of a game where apparently my opponent times out within a few moves (http://gyazo.com/a2f0efe6ba6d35dff0e7c37b40b5f910.png; note the time left on both players clocks), when in reality it apparently was me who timed out (I took the screenshot after re-enterring the Live-Play area; http://gyazo.com/4125486caf422ee125bced3357db7d5e.png). In this particular case, I never even got a "connection problem" message at all. Usually, though, I do, but only after having lost ~20sec from my time.

I'm sitting on a 10Mbit internet connection and I've rund numerou speedtests, so the issue not my end here. There are numerous games in my blitz games history of the last two days showing me timing out in utterly won situations. This is quite aggravating, as a very simple fix would be to have the timer disregarding time spent on connection-related issues (such as it is handled on ICC, for example).

I'm playing on both a desktop and a laptop computer under both Chrome and Mozilla, both on Vista and with all Win/Chrome/FF updates installed.

It is quite aggravating and seemingly the "Help Chat" is just a way to drown criticism, as I haven't ever received an actual answer or reaction from Staff there. So perhaps putting it here will have more success