Forums

Serious glitch in ratings?

Sort:
mtguy8787

I was around 1500 and played this guy who was 1542. We played 3 games, which I lost.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/profile/Alex_1

If you check his profile, you'll see that his rating jumped 150 points in 3 games, from playing a lower rated player (me) and another 40 points from playing a much lower rated player right after me.

infinex

He hasn't played many games yet so his rating deviation is very high.  Once he plays a lot of games, he will reach his approximate real rating and he will stay around there.  There's no glitch and he'll just end up where he belongs eventually.

ImaBullet

mtguy your a beginner and wouldnt understand but that isnt a glitch

MisterStretch

I am still wildly confused about the points awarded.

Last week I played a guy who had never completed a game.  He only had a half dozen wins by timeouts and he had over 1450 points.

The last "win" I had by timeout, I received 0 points  Something is awfully screwy in this process.

Cystem_Phailure
MisterStretch wrote:

The last "win" I had by timeout, I received 0 points  Something is awfully screwy in this process.

Games have to have a minimum number of completed moves before they count toward ratings-- I think there have to be four moves.  Your most recent game where your opponent timed out had only 2.5 completed moves.

MisterStretch
Cystem_Phailure wrote:
MisterStretch wrote:

Games have to have a minimum number of completed moves before they count toward ratings-- I think there have to be four moves.  Your most recent game where your opponent timed out had only 2.5 completed moves.

That helps me understand that, thanks.  Appreciate the information.

Cystem_Phailure

There's an exception to that minimum move threshold for tournament games.  A week ago I resigned a game before any moves had been played and my rating went down 11 points.  Cool

I expected that when I did it, though.  I was resigning 4 games in a tournament to allow the rest of the players to move on to the next round and to reduce my ongoing game load.

ImaBullet

Hello