STALEMATES

sadkid2008
richardpiscitello wrote:

It's VERY appropriate that your handle has the word KID in it as you are a foolish child.

It's not unreasonable what I'm asking.... People play fast and sometimes you make a mistake that could have been avoided.  You obviously don't understand that with you limited intelligence.

You need not bother to respond as this thread requires a level of maturity that you do not possess.

Don't go away mad.... go away Sadkid….. see what I did there? 

Unfortunately Richard, it seems your intellect was not enough to comprehend my statements! That is both a pity and very surprising, as I had already made what I believed to be a very conservative estimate. You make some bold and brash statements, all of which are obviously untrue. It would be below me to respond to your schoolyard tantrums, so instead I believe we can settle this with a game of chess, as it is a well known axiom that the one with the better understanding of the game is no doubt more qualified to speak upon this issue.

lfPatriotGames
richardpiscitello wrote:
osdeving wrote:
richardpiscitello escreveu:
bluefolder wrote:

Why would live games have stalemate warnings? It ruins the game and is a very bad idea. Chess.com would get many complaints.

 

I realize that some people would consider a stalemate "a win" but it's LAME....  Now if you both end up with just a king then it's obvious.  Or insufficient pieces to accomplish a checkmate also acceptable.

HOWEVER I'm talking about you're trying to win.... and the other person ONLY HAS A KING.  And they are trying to get you to make a mistake so they can salvage a draw.

That's a Chicken $hit approach to the game.  Resign or lose but don't try for a draw....  I just want to smack that person in the face when they pull that $hit.

slatemate is inherent in chess, man. Complaining of slatemate is like complaining that someone cowardly is trying to promote a pawn lol (oh, that man was 3 pawns down, but cowardly promoted a pawn to queen, oh no ... there is something very wrong with this site, they should warn these players! lol)

But I understand what you mean, and the problem is not slatemate, it's time control. With 3 hours available I doubt very much that someone would bet by some slatemate without a slatemate combination available (betting on the opponent's mistake I mean).

 I disagree.  It's not cowardly to try and promote a pawn.  There is a strategy to get a pawn promoted and force a player to sacrifice a bishop or rook or even a queen to stop you.

There is nothing cowardly about that.

But when you're down to JUST A KING and you keep moving around trying to get a stalemate because that's all you have left..... and you manage to achieve it..... Where is the honor in that?  Hmmmm?

Resign..... lose like a man as it were...…  I get pissed off.....   I HATE TO LOSE.  HATE IT.....

But you know what's worse?  Making a mistake that ends in a stalemate when you CLEARLY WON THE GAME!!!

I'm not perfect.... nobody is...… everyone makes mistakes.  I just think this is one of those things that could be addressed and it would help people to not make those kind of end game mistakes.

I dont understand something. If you "clearly won the game", then stalemate isn't a problem. You checkmated your opponent, won on time, or they resigned. You clearly won. If the game ends in stalemate, then how is that clearly won? It seems like since chess is such a game of strategy and tactics  if someone is in a bad position and finds a way to make it better, that should be rewarded. And if someone is in a good position and finds a way to make it worse, that should probably be punished, dont you think? I dont know, maybe appreciating stalemate is only for advanced players who know how to avoid it and also know how to make it happen when necessary.

BoboTheFlyingSheep67
richardpiscitello wrote:

NOBODY except the person who is losing wants a Stalemate.  It's TOO EASY to make a mistake and end up in a stalemate.

Can you programmers warn players when they are trying to make a move that will result in a stalemate??

I don't think that is TOO MUCH to ask.

BTW..... you STILL can't exchange a pawn for a Queen et al in Chrome..... Which is why I have to play in Edge.

AND..... lately the game is freezing and I have to leave and check back in to get back to my game..... I mean WTH???  COME ON PEOPLE!!!

 

 

Ok. I see your point, but waiting for your opponent to make a mistake is the essence of the game of chess. This is because of Steinitz's Theory of Equilibrium. Steinitz's Theory of Equilibrium states that at the beginning of a chess game, since all sides are a perfect mirror of one another, that an equilibrium has been established. When a player makes a move, they either disturb the equilibrium is their favour, or not in their favour. Assuming both sides play perfect moves, the game will end in a draw, because White disturbs the equilibrium in his favour, and then Black restores the equilibrium. This pattern, keeps repeating until all the pieces are exchanged and the game is drawn. While it is understandable that stalemates can be annoying when you are obviously winning, it is your own fault if you do not notice it. Chess is a game of skill and judgement and if you include this "warning" chess players will depend on this heavily and in real games, they will most probably stalemate their opponents. (This excludes mouse-slips) I kind of have to agree with @Sadkid on this one. If you include a stalemate warning, that will ruin the whole game as a checkmate warning or a not-playing-the-best-move warning. Also, your opponent could sac a piece, for example, and try and get a stalemate that way, assuming your "stalemate warning" detects this, it will warn you in advance and tell you not to accept it, without any of chess skills or judgement on your part. This is clearly unfair, because your opponent might have spent a lot of time calculating that, while the "warning" negates the use of any thought on your part. Finally, use this as a learning opportunity and try not to stalemate the next time. Also, I agree with @IfPatriotGames. If you are winning, why don't you just win?

Primal_Reaper

Perhaps sometimes people think they deserve a win when they don't

oldcodger1

I sometimes get a mouse slip and a piece lands on the wrong square.  Is there a way to avoid this? A stalemate warning is pointless because some people play for it deliberately, like making the same moves over and over to entice  a draw. Or have I missed something?

BoboTheFlyingSheep67
oldcodger1 wrote:

I sometimes get a mouse slip and a piece lands on the wrong square.  Is there a way to avoid this? A stalemate warning is pointless because some people play for it deliberately, like making the same moves over and over to entice  a draw. Or have I missed something?

This has happened to me plenty of times as well! Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a solution

sadkid2008
oldcodger1 wrote:

I sometimes get a mouse slip and a piece lands on the wrong square.  Is there a way to avoid this? A stalemate warning is pointless because some people play for it deliberately, like making the same moves over and over to entice  a draw. Or have I missed something?

haha pathetic