Forums

A good game for someone interested in tactics

Sort:
TheBrainhacker

Scottrf

And I'm told to make a minimum number of pawn moves in the opening and avoid moving the same piece more than once...that was pretty devastating!

VikramjitM

what a game,totally impressed, just made my day thanks so much

Oraoradeki

Care to explain the "Tactical" parts?

TheBrainhacker

Starting with 14.Ng4 (black threatens N:f2 forking both rooks), white defends with Be1, protecting f2 and discovering a threat on black's queen. However, this loses a pawn on g5, Q:g5. Next white move is i think a mistake, better was probably Nh3, atacking blacks queen and overprotecting f2 square. In these sharp positions you need to play fast, creating concrete threats and keeping the dynamic. By playing 16.Bh3 white probably calculated N:f2 B:f2, R:f2 B:c8, R:c8 and Q:b7, forking rook and night. However, black saw that white's king will be in big trouble after this continuation. 19.Q:b7 opens b file for black's rook, and combined with the control of 2nd rank and bringing the queen into attack, also the monster bishop on g7, white faces a deadly attack.

This shows that you should try keeping a, b and c files closed if you're castling queenside. Or else you need to always keep in mind about the possibility of an attack on your king.

JG27Pyth

Tactical indeed, nice win. I do think your opponent missed a shot. After 17...Rxf2? 18.Nxe4 would have caused you problems.

TheBrainhacker
JG27Pyth wrote:

Tactical indeed, nice win. I do think your opponent missed a shot. After 17...Rxf2? 18.Nxe4 would have caused you problems.

Good point, JG27Pyth. Totally missed N:e4 (I'm not using any engine), however, now that you mentioned it, I was calculating 18.N:e4 B:b2+!. Now white has 2 options: 19.Kb1 Bf5! 20.B:f5 Q:f5 and looks like black is better. Or 19.Q:b2 Q:e3+ 20.Nd2 (20.Rd2? Q:e4! R:f2 Q:h1) Nb5 21.Kb1 and white is holding, but black has 4 pawns for a piece

JG27Pyth
Achtumatkaip wrote:
JG27Pyth wrote:

Good point, JG27Pyth. Totally missed N:e4 (I'm not using any engine), however, now that you mentioned it, I was calculating 18.N:e4 B:b2+!. Now white has 2 options: 19.Kb1 Bf5! 20.B:f5 Q:f5 and looks like black is better. Or 19.Q:b2 Q:e3+ 20.Nd2 (20.Rd2? Q:e4! R:f2 Q:h1) Nb5 21.Kb1 and white is holding, but black has 4 pawns for a piece

Yikes! Nice analysis -- 19...Bf5! is extraordinary. The best moves are always in the notes!