Forums

Bullet Rating vs Online rating

Sort:
Rasparovov
AnthonyCG wrote:

You gonna answer or are you just going to deflect?

If you think Nakamura wont checkmate you in a minute you're blind. They don't have to think to play good moves, soo many patterns and theory are already in their head ready for action. 
He wouldn't be in the top if he couldn't checkmate someone in one minute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nYwTWycVSM  - Carlsen winning in one minute 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxBtrT_qZgI&feature=related  - Carlsen once again winning a 1 minute game against a GM with 3 minutes.
Unfortunatly I couldn't find any games of nakamura playing IRL soo I thought they were good enough. 

Elubas

Rasparovov, what you are saying is probably true, but that doesn't change the fact that an amateur is more likely to upset a GM in bullet than they are in classical time controls.

Think of the correlation more in ranges. Without any extra information, one would predict a GM rated 2500 to beat an FM rated 2300 in a bullet match. However, let's say that a GM can range from 2200-2700 in bullet, whereas an FM can range from 2000-2500 in bullet. It's not so incredibly difficult to find some FMs at the high end of this range, beating GMs at the low end of their range.

Flameblaze
wbilfc wrote:

I find the two disciplines quite different, so yes it is possible to have a large difference in your rating scores.

Of course it is also possible that he his cheating!

cheating? but that's not possible!

fianchetto123

of course its possible! Lets say my rating is 2200 and I want to play against a 1970 that I know. I lose game after game on purpose so that I can play against the 1970 with a 2050 rating. Or, I'm 2400 and there is another 2400 I know that I think I can beat. I lose all my games, challenge them as a 2100 and mortify them. Or, I lose to a bad player so that I can play a good player a lot of times as win back more rating points than I lost. Theseare all reasons for someone to cheat. Cant for the life of me think why somebody would run the risk of being banned from the site, but there you go. 

stanhope13

When i tried playing blitz i spent most of my time watching the clock. Never tried bullet.

MSC157

I didn't played rated bullet for 100 years. OK, just one tournament (and only 2 games). That's why I have so big difference. I'm slowly trying to increase my blitz and standard rating.

Martin0

I wonder what the rating difference is on bullet and online chess if we consider a game played of equal quality. A 2000 rated bullet game for example has better quality than a 1200 rated online chess game while a 1200 bullet game has worse quality than a 1200 online chess game. I know some strategies in bullet doesn't work in online chess, but the qualities of games should still be measurable.

blake78613
eJaguar wrote:

I can see that most players (including me) may have wide difference between their Bullet and Online rating. But in one Bullet game, I beaten one player at my rating (~1000). He made too many obvious blunders and i won easily. Amazingly, when I looked at his online rating it was 2000+ !! Can this be ??? And how? Or is this a strong indication of online chess cheating?

Intersetingly, the player's Online game history is 26 games all won!! 

It is a strong indication that like most people, he doesn't take bullet games seriously.

Rasparovov
Elubas wrote:

Rasparovov, what you are saying is probably true, but that doesn't change the fact that an amateur is more likely to upset a GM in bullet than they are in classical time controls.

Think of the correlation more in ranges. Without any extra information, one would predict a GM rated 2500 to beat an FM rated 2300 in a bullet match. However, let's say that a GM can range from 2200-2700 in bullet, whereas an FM can range from 2000-2500 in bullet. It's not so incredibly difficult to find some FMs at the high end of this range, beating GMs at the low end of their range.

True, but I think the question was if Nakamura could find checkmate in a 1 minute game. :)

Scottrf

"while a 1200 bullet game has worse quality than a 1200 online chess"

I'm not so sure, because someone 1200 in bullet is a solid player, someone 1200 online is a rank amateur who makes all sorts of basic errors.

waffllemaster

@Scottrf

lol, good point.

Scottrf

And worse, I just lost to a 1069 Cry I wasn't exactly trying but neither was he.

Martin0

I admit I haven't played a lot of people rated 1200, so it was a guess. I think it is much harder to get a high bullet rating than a high online rating. I'm rated about 1500 bullet and about 2050 in online chess and both rating's is quite accurate I believe. If I look at my bullet opponents rated about the same it is not uncommon that they are rated about 1800 in online chess.

Boletus_CZ
eJaguar napsal:

I can see that most players (including me) may have wide difference between their Bullet and Online rating. But in one Bullet game, I beaten one player at my rating (~1000). He made too many obvious blunders and i won easily. Amazingly, when I looked at his online rating it was 2000+ !! Can this be ??? And how? Or is this a strong indication of online chess cheating?

Intersetingly, the player's Online game history is 26 games all won!! 

Well, I am "guilty", too. My bullet rating is about 1400 (and I have improved a lot for it used to be about 1000 for a long time). My standard online rating is about 2050 (Chess960 about 1850) and what is even worse - my Live Chess Standard is about 2150 (I played most of my games against the Chess.com computer-IMPOSSIBLE which is an online anti-cheat detectorLaughing).

I think it is not possible to compare live and online games for we can use a lot of tools (books, databases, analysis board) when it comes to the latter one. But how is it possible the difference between my live standard and bullet ratings is about 750 points? Why do I make so much more mistakes in bullet than in standard? I believe there are five reasons:

• I am not a good player and I need a lot of time to recognize patterns,
  • when I play bullet chess I tend to "ignore" my opponent`s moves. All I want to do is to attack and win and I fail to notice many (often obvious) threats,
  • when I make a bad move I usually see it even before my opponent`s response. And even when my move is an inaccuracy or a small mistake I am upset, I can`t stop thinking of it and I do not concentrate any more which means that such a bad move is usually followed by even worse ones,
  • when I am to play a bullet game I am over-worried I will lose on time (and I do a lot),
  • I play bullet even when I feel too tired to make moves in my online games. 

As I have written already my bullet rating went from 1000 to 1400 over past few months. If I ever manage to get somewhere close to 1800 I will write an article How to improve in Bullet and if I get to 2000 the article will be How to make a miracle happen. Laughing