Forums

Live Tournaments Now in Public Beta! What do you think?

Sort:
RealSelf

Maybe more lightening tourneys ( 10 or so, they are over in a flash) then fewer blitz (4 or 5) not so many rapid tourneys (say 3) and one or two standard tourneys. Like a sliding scale depending on how quickly the tournaments last?

erik
cclynes wrote:

Maybe more lightening tourneys ( 10 or so, they are over in a flash) then fewer blitz (4 or 5) not so many rapid tourneys (say 3) and one or two standard tourneys. Like a sliding scale depending on how quickly the tournaments last?

already in the works!

Sousuke511

Oks this is a lil suggestion... that sadly only has advantages for non premiums, so might not be profitable.

Dont know how hard to program this is, but i was thinking that, Oks we got 2 tourneys. But since many get cancelled, we could do a like Max function, 2 tourneys or at least 6 rounds, so you dont waste your 2 tourneys on 2 rounds. (Hope the idea is clear)

Also, a nice thing would be like, for ppl who get on top 3, they can reenter the tourney "lets call it a champion right :P", so for example if a non premium gets on top 3 always, he can keep on gettin on tourneys... till he loses 2 tourneys.

Thanks for reading!

HydroTherapy1952

Tournament play is a great idea... I hope it goes alpha soon...

Problem encountered today was that our 10 min. tourny only was hosted for one round despite 8 players participating - whats up with that?

blakefox_584
There are alot of basic members complaining about how many FREE live tournaments they get to play. It's less than 50c a day...
iotengo
glasshousenc wrote:

Tournament play is a great idea... I hope it goes alpha soon...

Problem encountered today was that our 10 min. tourny only was hosted for one round despite 8 players participating - whats up with that?

I think you mean 'I hope it gets out of beta soon' - Alpha is the primary planning stage in software development.

GGTU

Great, BUT!!!!!!

Every game in tournament mode should count against ones rating even if someone gets diconnected (sorry).  Twice now I have had a higher rated opponent in the last round abandon a game against me.  Its one thing in free play, but in tournament mode you agree to play anyone!

Franky2929

Hello, last time I played a tournament (11/11/2011) my pieces got stuck and I couldn't move them. My time was still running and I lost the game. I was using Mozilla Firefox and the move I wanted to play was neither castling nor en passant.

What should I do for it not to happen again?

this was the game:

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=203789783

and the  problem occurred on moves 11 & 19

kohai

Franky2929,

If you were able to move them again in that game, what did you do to get them moving? refresh or disconnect?

When the pieces wouldn't move, did you do anything between when the game ended and the next one began like refresh the page? Or did they just move properly in the next game?

When you tried moving the pieces and realised they wouldn't move, did the cursor change from showing a hand cursor to something else? (like just a | cursor)?

caozhu

Just played a 10|0 tourney just now, the game finished after 4 rounds with 7 participants. Why is the case? In a Round-Rubin game, it can have 5 rounds with just 6 participants. Isn't the only constraint for Swiss is no two player(including bye) play twice in the tournament?

WindowsEnthusiast

My opinion is that there needs to be a way to create tournaments in Live Chess. Even just allowing the moderators would be better than staff only.

Franky2929

Kohaï,

My pieces moved again after a minute on move 11 but my opponent suggested me to refresh the page on move 19 (which I did). It worked properly on the next games and for the last 2 moves of the game in which the problem occured.

When I was trying to move the pieces a " I " cursor appeared and something like      " Click on OK to view the top game in this round ! " that moved at the same time as my cursor. When I released the mouse that menu disappeared.

Sousuke511

One last thing to comment (actually 2)

Think something needs to be fixed with the rounds, only 5 rounds on what ive seen/asked. Even on a 2/1 tourney with 36 ppl.

And so tourneys have an extra motif... dunno tourney winners could get some extra rating points. Lots of friends have told me, ye they are fun, but thats all there is to it, is same as playing 5 random ppl in a row. So maybe some extra points for 1-2-3 (maybe 15/10/5?)

And ye rating isnt the most important thing... but thats all we can have here as a gain dont we?

vladan7
Sousuke511 wrote:

Think something needs to be fixed with the rounds, only 5 rounds on what ive seen/asked. Even on a 2/1 tourney with 36 ppl.

And so tourneys have an extra motif... dunno tourney winners could get some extra rating points. Lots of friends have told me, ye they are fun, but thats all there is to it, is same as playing 5 random ppl in a row. So maybe some extra points for 1-2-3 (maybe 15/10/5?)

And ye rating isnt the most important thing... but thats all we can have here as a gain dont we?

This defeats the purpose of rating. Rating estimates your strength, not how many tournaments you win.

Sousuke511
Vladan88 wrote:
Sousuke511 wrote:

This defeats the purpose of rating. Rating estimates your strength, not how many tournaments you win.

Well, you need an incentive for them... also, there is only a way of winning tournaments... by winning games... so dont see what can an extra 15/10/5 points harm... if u get above ur normal rating... ull play stronger ppl... and get hammered down.

abvctf

First of all well done guys! Tournament play is a must for a serious chess server obviously. Second of all deleting the names of your competitors from the forums is childish. Anyone can find all kinds of websites to play chess with a simple search on google.

And a little proposition if I may. I don't know if that is technically possible but I'd like to be able to create my own private live chess tournaments. What i mean private is something like password protected so people can play with their actual friends. This might come handy when groups on chess.com want to create a tournament for their members for example.

RealSelf
Delenn wrote:

First of all well done guys! Tournament play is a must for a serious chess server obviously. Second of all deleting the names of your competitors from the forums is childish. Anyone can find all kinds of websites to play chess with a simple search on google.

And a little proposition if I may. I don't know if that is technically possible but I'd like to be able to create my own private live chess tournaments. What i mean private is something like password protected so people can play with their actual friends. This might come handy when groups on chess.com want to create a tournament for their members for example.

I like this idea

jtt96
cclynes wrote:
Delenn wrote:

I like this idea

Me too!

Delenn: I agree, C.C isn't my primary chess website because I don't know of any others, It's my primary chess website because I think that it's the all-around best. I do use other sites for specific features, (live chess, tactics, etc.) but C.C is really the only one that I use for multiple features. Plus no other site that I know of can even claim to compete with these forums. Bottom line: We should use C.C because we think it's best, not because we haven't heard of any other sites.

pawn_eater

why was the frequency of the tournaments increased when there is already a lack of players? this only makes the problem worse. i cannot find a tournament with enough people in. the vast majority of tournaments get cancelled. i want to play in a large tournament and this cannot happen when they are so frequent.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

They should auto-book players from one tournament which would otherwise get cancelled into another tournament which also doesn't have enough players, like the airline industry.