Forums

New live chess problems

Sort:
CmanBst

When I became a premium member I was very excited about being able to use premium live chess, but to my dismay I found it wouldn't work half the time on my com.  I started back using basic live chess for a long time, and then went on vacation.  When I returned from my vacation live chess had been updated, and I am having the same problems with the new basic live as I have had with the premium live all along.  Any ideas why it's not working for me?

tarrasch

What exactly doesn't work?

What browser do you use? Did you try any others?

What OS do you use?

More details, please.

CmanBst

The loading icon will discontinue its spinning, and then a box will pop up saying internet explorer is not working.  I use windows 7.

CmanBst

Windows 7

DrawMaster

CmanBst, take a look at this thread re compatibility mode:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/cant-launch-live-chess-since-server-shutdownrestart

UVF02368

Yeah, I'm with ya, same thing happened to me.  Gone for three weeks, come back and this "upgrade" annoys the crap out of me.  It works, but with each change it seems to be slower and work worse and worse.  Simpler is better, I just want to play chess.  I'm not messing about trying to make it work smoothly, I'm done with live chess here for awhile.  Oh well.

erik

we will have a new upgrade to LIVE CHESS this week that will fix many of these issues and should return some of the things missing. thanks for your patience!

kohai
CmanBst wrote:

When I became a premium member I was very excited about being able to use premium live chess, but to my dismay I found it wouldn't work half the time on my com.  I started back using basic live chess for a long time, and then went on vacation.  When I returned from my vacation live chess had been updated, and I am having the same problems with the new basic live as I have had with the premium live all along.  Any ideas why it's not work for me?

Can you tell me what isn't working for you? What are you having problems with?

When you say Internet explorer isn't working, before going into live chess again can you try this for me pleasehttp://www.chess.com/clear_cookies.html

Are you seeing any messages on the internet explorer page or just the spinning box?

What type of internet connection are you using?

adsl? wifi ?

UVF02368
UVF02368 wrote:

Yeah, I'm with ya, same thing happened to me.  Gone for three weeks, come back and this "upgrade" annoys the crap out of me.  It works, but with each change it seems to be slower and work worse and worse.  Simpler is better, I just want to play chess.  I'm not messing about trying to make it work smoothly, I'm done with live chess here for awhile.  Oh well.

Working great now.  Go figure.

CmanBst
kohai wrote:
CmanBst wrote:

When I became a premium member I was very excited about being able to use premium live chess, but to my dismay I found it wouldn't work half the time on my com.  I started back using basic live chess for a long time, and then went on vacation.  When I returned from my vacation live chess had been updated, and I am having the same problems with the new basic live as I have had with the premium live all along.  Any ideas why it's not work for me?

Can you tell me what isn't working for you? What are you having problems with?

When you say Internet explorer isn't working, before going into live chess again can you try this for me pleasehttp://www.chess.com/clear_cookies.html

Are you seeing any messages on the internet explorer page or just the spinning box?

What type of internet connection are you using?

adsl? wifi ?

I get a box that says internet explorer has stopped working and that it's checking for problems.  I would say that it's my internet connection but I don't seem to have the problem anywhere but on live chess on chess.com... btw I'm using dsl

kohai

We've spoken with Microsoft Dev team. It seems this is their issue and their doing, not ours.  Apparently its even affected sites as big as youtube.  Bet they make huge complaints to MS.

Ok, quick fix until this is fully sorted.

When you log into live chess, under Tools on your browser open the "developer tools" (on the menu or by hitting F12)

Then press Alt 8     (make sure its the number 8  you click   (not F8) )

This should then change your browser to be compatible. I've tested this and haven't crashed so far.

CmanBst

Thanks Kohai!

Rowan

Am I missing something please; when I go to play live chess I only have a set of time preferenceses to choose from.

How do I put my own in please.

Thank you.

kohai

On the New Game tab, under the orange start button there is grey text that says

'game type settings'.  Click on that.

That then shows you the presets drop down, the min/max for opponent ratings and the option to play rated/unrated,  white unrated and black unrated.

CmanBst

Now whenever this problem occurs, I am unable to log back in to live chess.

Just_4Fun

it is normal that when your watching a game and the same players rematch, that you automatically follow that game but then cant see who else is watching nor can you chat in that game window...if you leave then come back its fine...

RetGuvvie98
[COMMENT DELETED]
AmorPropio

While playing 2-minute tournament, I lost two games because I could not promote a pawn.  I reported this to technical support but I was told I had to pay $38 so I did n ot proceed.  This is a bug that needs to be fixed.  Or else people will stop playing once they realize that this bug exists.  Kindly do something to fix this.  Thanks.

kohai
AmorPropio wrote:

I reported this to technical support but I was told I had to pay $38 so I did n ot proceed. 

Who told you this? What was their username on the ticket ?

No-one has to pay money to be able to promote a pawn or receive proper technical support from the site.

Can you please give details of the problem you're experiencing?

Where the promotion box appears but disappears before choosing a piece to promote too, we are aware of this issue but so far have never been able to replicate it. Its a random problem that doesn't occur for everyone and so far have had no luck in finding whats causing this pawn promotion problem.

RetGuvvie98
[COMMENT DELETED]