Forums

Refusing rematches=Bad etiquette?

Sort:
Stanley3349223

Is it considered bad etiquette if you refuse a rematch after beating a much higher rated player?

Shivsky

A ton of forum threads on this already. There's no right answer to this ... it really depends on the context and situation:

The answer could be yes IF 

• You have time to spare to re-match at the same time control.
  • You don't have something specific to do (look up the game online, research an opening etc.) that cannot wait.
  • You played a challenging game that you really enjoyed.
  • He made an early + terrible blunder/mouse-slip that was uncharacteristic given the quality of his other moves.
  • He was gracious with his loss and didn't call you lucky or anoint you with any choice swear words.
  • He behaved well throughout the game and didn't make multiple-draw offers when he was staring down the barrel of a forced mate. 
  • You agreed to a rematch beforehand
  • You responded to HIS seek, i.e. you challenged him.
I honestly think that there's no un-written rule for accepting rematches ... though ask yourself if you would if this was your favorite local chess club and you were face-to-face with this person : What would really deter you from accepting a rematch?
Fear_ItseIf

The whole etiquette thing of rematches and stuff is stupid, its your time, do what you want with it.

Raspberry_Yoghurt
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

The whole etiquette thing of rematches and stuff is stupid, its your time, do what you want with it.

Agree

mikesully52
Who cares about etiquette, I'll rematch if I want to. If I want to but don't have time I'll send them a message and add them as a friend.
Fabio656
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

100%

Ambush1

I don't think etiquette is the right term for it but one thing to keep in mind is chess.com community is absolutely horrid. I only came back myself because of V3 (which took years to develop way to long in my opinion). I still do not care for the community it is selfish, rude and very immature so to expect rematches is a mistake. I never get rematches. If it was a close game and a good game I will accept a rematch request. If I blew them away and it was obvious their rating was inflated I move on because I don't feel like I will learn from the game.  It seems to me when people win especially because of their opponent made one crucial mistake but otherwise played very well the person would rather take their lucky win and move on before risk losing a game. 

Chess.com gets this type of community because free accounts have nothing to lose from bad behavior (not to say not re-matching is bad behavior but I think a lot of it stems from other bad behavior and learned selfishness). Your behavior on chess.com does not matter in the slightest. If your account gets banned you are actually encouraged to just make a new one and come back. Unlike ICC where you have to pay for membership and has an absolutely zero tolerance policy on bad behavior. 

lolurspammed

It's bad etiquette to call your opponent a coward if he refuses a rematch.