Forums

Why is this not a draw?????

Sort:
KSBK

Hi,

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=450806557

This is the Game I mentioned; Opponent had only King but I had a Rook and 5 Pawns. Really Funny!

Regards

KSBK

MSC157

I never count. When I see the position repeate twice, I start clicking Draw-button as mad, especially when low on time! :D

KSBK

Hi,

Did you look at the game I mentioned - the link I gave in my previous post?

What do you say about that game - I mean the result it shows? Don't you agree there is something very funny?

Why Chess.com is not doing anything about this sort of silly thing - including  "Abort" a game if the "connection" get disrupted while a game is being played by doing so they can prevent unnecessary "Loss on Time" for players !! 

Like to have others comment on this idea. Please oment!

Regards

KSBK

karna_katz
KSBK wrote:

Hi,

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=450806557

This is the Game I mentioned; Opponent had only King but I had a Rook and 5 Pawns. Really Funny!

Regards

KSBK

Perhaps you ran out of time. He can't be awarded the win because he has insufficient material

Geoff218

Thread is a bit old now, I would like to edit/update it and set the draw rules/tips out simply. The point of the thread is to make players aware of 'how to draw'. Please add any useful tips or comments.

One such comment about the 3 fold repetition is that you must claim it immediately when the situation happens. You cannot fall back on the draw a few moves later.

Geoff218

see my comment #12 which points out that if you run out of time BUT you opponent has 'insufficient material' the game is drawn as 'insufficent material'

traxex91

Is there an indication that a draw may be claimed after 3 fold repetition? Like does the draw button change into "claim draw" or something. I've drawn games by repetition before but all I did was count the number of moves before pressing draw. I never really noticed if there were indicators.

karna_katz

I've noticed the button change to, "claim draw" only once, but that doesn't mean it's not happened more often without my noticing.

Geoff218

good question about the draw button changing colour, i don't think it does for 3 fold repetition? Maybe it does for the 50 move rule?

CabassoG
Geoff218 wrote:

good question about the draw button changing colour, i don't think it does for 3 fold repetition? Maybe it does for the 50 move rule?

This might be the case. I think I remember it doing the same thing for me a while ago. It is probably to remind you that you can take a draw.

traxex91

Well I just drew a game recently by repetition and this time I observed for any changes to the draw button and there were none. Still not sure about the 50 move rule though.

Geoff218

nobody is ever going to see the 50 move rule happen because its 50 moves each (100moves) so probably just forget it... ...its never going to happen in blitz...

Geoff218

maybe the draw button changes colour when your opponent offers a draw, it definitely does not change for 3 fold repitition.

karna_katz

Sorry Geoff, but I had one yesterday on a 3 fold repitition. The button doesn't change colour. However, the name changes from, "offer draw" to "claim draw". So I guess my point is, if you have the 3 repititions from both players, check the button.