2019-20 Garden State Chess League Season Information

WestOrangeChessClub

From new Garden State Chess League President Lev Zilbermintz:

President to Cabinet:

Please find enclosed the revised minutes of the September 10 GSCL meeting. All the revisions have been made.

Regarding Garden State Chess League matches, the calendar is as follows:

October 1
 November 5 
December 3 
February 4 
March 3 
April 7 

January 2020 will be set aside for make-up games.

Bruce, start looking into what options are available for the Stewartsville Presbyterian Church. John Moldovan, please send me ASAP and copy everyone else, which team plays whom.

George, please keep in touch with Bruce as to where Rutgers-New Brunswick will play its match. I want to make sure everyone is accommodated.

Lastly, please understand that the minutes reflect the state of affairs as of the day the meeting was held, September 10. Since that time, new updates have changed what we know.

STATUS OF CLUBS:

In addition to the four clubs we have now (Newark McDonalds, Hamilton, Lehigh Valley, West Orange) Rutgers is playing. NJIT should be responding later today or tomorrow. Woodbury Chess Club refused to play. Princeton has not responded. Essex County College has not responded. Rowan University has not responded. Toms River has not responded. Kenilworth responded, saying they have to wait for their members to decide. This could be tomorrow or even later.  FYI, Kenilworth is considering a merger with Roselle Chess Club.

Again, try to recruit clubs in your area and schools to join the GSCL.

I will keep you posted.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Lev Zilbermintz

President of Garden State Chess League

There are a couple of scholastic clubs. I am going to make last minute phone calls tomorrow. One is in Livingston, the other in Princeton.
WestOrangeChessClub

MINUTES OF THE GARDEN STATE CHESS LEAGUE MEETING, 10 September 2019
Toby Katz Community Center, West Orange, New Jersey

Welcome: President John Hagerty welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Call to Order: Meeting was called to order at 8:00 p.m. by President John Hagerty. Attending the meeting were Bruce Davis, of Lehigh Valley Chess Association; John Hagerty, of West Orange Chess Club, GSCL President; Ari Minkov, Secretary of West Orange Chess Club; Doran Race, Vice President of West Orange Chess Club, standing in for Steve Reade, who is in California on business; Charles Miller of Hamilton Chess Club and Treasurer of Garden State Chess League; Lev Zilbermintz, of Newark McDonalds, and Vice President of West Orange Chess Club; Greg Shaw, of Newark McDonalds; John Moldovan, Vice President of Garden State Chess League.
Absent: Steve Reade
President’s Report: John Hagerty reported on the status of the Garden State Chess League during 2018-2019 season. Previously, we used to have 12 teams. The idea was to have two 6-team divisions, and 5 matches. It is frustrating to get more teams in. President Hagerty said he is disappointed in how last two years were.
For the last three years, there were no Kenilworth Chess Club teams said John Moldovan. Hagerty reported that the Summit Chess Club has been kicked out of their place because they do not have enough people.
President Hagerty stated that this is his last meeting as Garden State Chess League President. He is involved with children’s groups and correspondence chess and will still be part of West Orange Chess Club. JH has been WOCC president since 1979. Once the new GSCL officers are elected, JH will give office unofficially. JH will strive to maintain what we have. Enjoyed working with everyone during his time as GSCL President.
Officers’ Reports:

Vice President: John Moldovan noted that for the past two or three years we may not be going down the right path. Perhaps the format is wrong. New Jersey State Chess Federation has changed.
Discussion of New Jersey State Chess League: It was discussed that NJSCF is putting together an online league. The advantages are that there is no need to worry about travel. All the information about the online league is on the NJSCF website.
The NJSCF Online Chess League was discussed. It was felt by the attendees that this group was too rigid and had a lot of shortcomings. Thus, Moldovan proposed creating a different, better group, for the Garden State Chess League. A better, more flexible format, will be made for the GSCL online group. The goal is to get more people into the league.
Greg mentioned that there is more personal contact when people play face-to-face over the board. The two leagues, GSCL and NJSCF, would not interfere with one another, as they are played on different days and times.
Doran Race reported on tournaments, including G/75.
Treasurer Report: Charles Miller reported on the financial status of Garden State League for 2018-2019. The balance starts out with $168.69. Income from 2017-2018 totals $60.00, which gives $228.69 . To this is added income of $40.00 for 2018 – 2019, making a total of $268.69. Expenses for trophy and plaque, 2017 – 2018, total $27.99. Final balance is $240.70

Status of the Garden State Chess League for 2019 – 2020
Lev Zilbermintz reported that between August – September he had contacted 32 clubs, organizations, middle schools, high schools and colleges. Rutgers-Brunswick, East Orange STEM Academy, Newark McDonalds, West Orange, Hamilton all agreed to participate. Awaiting response from Woodbury, whose meeting was being on the same day as the GSCL meeting.
Whippany Park High School, Hannah Malko’s middle school, NJIT, Bergen Chess Mates, Westfield, Kenilworth and Rahway have refused to play.
The College of New Jersey, Ewing Chess Club, Princeton High School, Princeton University, Newark Chess Club, Roselle Park High School, Princeton High School, Monmouth County Chess Club, Hillborough Chess Academy, Alpha Minds Chess Academy, Rowan University have not responded. Dean of Chess Academy and Toms River have not given a firm answer.
Lev asked, and the Garden State Chess League approved, a two-week extension to allow the organizations to respond. The final deadline to register is September 24. Lev wants to double the number of teams in GSCL to eight.
Proposed Calendar for Garden State Chess League: The calendar for the 2019 – 2020 season was approved. The dates are as follows:

October 1, November 5, December 3, February 4, March 3, April 7. January 2020 will be set aside for make-up games.

Elections for 2019 – 2020 Garden State Chess League Executive Board
The assembled members elected the following as officers:
President: Lev Zilbermintz
Vice President: Bruce Davis
Treasurer: Charles Miller
Secretary: Steve Reade

In addition, John Moldovan was voted in as GSCL Director of Online Chess. Lev Zilbermintz will handle over-the-board GSCL matches. All results, team changes have to be sent to Lev, with a copy to John Moldovan.

Inauguration of New Cabinet: In his first act as President, Lev gave thanks to John Hagerty, Charles Miller and John Moldovan for their service to the GSCL. President-elect Zilbermintz stated that he would like to increase the number of teams participating in the Garden State Chess League.

Announcements:

Robert Forney invites everyone interested to his Kings and Queens chess academy tournaments in Piscataway and Plainsboro. Flyers were distributed announcing the tournaments.

Next Meeting Date: To be announced.

Meeting was adjourned by John Hagerty at 9:30 p.m.

WestOrangeChessClub

Garden State Chess League website:  gardenstatechessleague.blogspot.com/

WestOrangeChessClub

Update:

President to Cabinet:

It is my pleasure to announce that Essex County College Chess Club has decided to join the Garden State Chess League. I have just finished talking with Shaliel Hunt, the Adviser, and she confirmed it. Thus, we will have 6 teams, not 5.

John Moldovan, please revise the playing schedule. Now that there are 6 teams, there is no need for a bye. After all, 6 is an even number.

Regrettably, NJIT was unable to put forward a chess team. We will have to hope they can play in the 2020-2021 season. Kenilworth Chess Club is too busy with their own things. The information I have is that they will play in the online Garden State Chess League come Spring 2020.

The playing calendar is as follows:

October 1, 2019

November 5

December 3

February  4, 2020

March 3

April 7

January has no matches. Teams can use that month to play games that have been rescheduled.

The first match is October 1 at West Orange Chess Club. 7 Alisa Drive, West Orange, NJ, Toby Katz Community Center in Diegnan Park. This is located just opposite West Orange High School, the tennis courts, softball field and the pond.

Any questions, please contact me at 201 - 572 - 3180 ASAP.

Sincerely yours,

Lev Zilbermintz

WestOrangeChessClub

Update:

President to Garden State Chess League:

We are underway with 7 teams for 2019 - 2020. There is a real possibility of Kenilworth joining as the eighth team sometime later this month. Keep hoping this does happen, because then the GSCL will have doubled.

I am definitely changing the way things are done. It is my intention to launch a monthly Garden State Chess League Newsletter which will feature games played in GSCL matches. I invite all members to submit their games with annotations to me and John Hagerty. We will use the chess engine to check games and make evaluations. Furthermore, I propose that the best game of the half-season (October - December, February - April) get some sort of prize.

From now on, copies of game scores will be collected after every GSCL match. Please forward  these via email to myself and John Hagerty. I plan to have the first issue come out by November 12.  Your assistance is appreciated.

Next, meetings. As I wrote in my previous email, it is my intention to have two more GSCL meetings. I am setting the dates for these meetings as January 7 (alternate date, 14) and May 5 (alternate date, 12) 2020. Please mark your calendars. I am giving you three months' advance notice.  The meetings will be held in the Toby Katz Community Center at 8 p.m.

Any questions please contact me.

Thank you kindly for your cooperation.

Lev Zilbermintz

WestOrangeChessClub
eelizabetha wrote:

Someone please send me a daily match, I want to play with you!

Unfortunately you will likely have no luck with match challenges in this forum but you can follow Garden State Chess League news!

BrilliantONe

President to eelizabetha:

You are welcome to challenge me. I play on chess.com quite often.

WestOrangeChessClub

eelizabetha wrote:

Someone please send me a daily match, I want to play with you!

Unfortunately you will likely have no luck with match challenges in this forum but you can follow Garden State Chess League news!

BrilliantONe wrote:

President to eelizabetha:

You are welcome to challenge me. I play on chess.com quite often.

WestOrangeChessClub stands corrected!

WestOrangeChessClub

Update:

OFFICE OF THE GARDEN STATE CHESS LEAGUE PRESIDENT
GARDEN STATE CHESS LEAGUE
23 OCTOBER 2019

Dear Garden State Chess League members,

It is my pleasure to announced that yesterday an eighth chess team, Center Squares, has joined the Garden State Chess League!! Therefore, the membership of the Garden State Chess League has doubled from four teams to eight since I became President on September 10.  For the 2020-2021 season, I intend to increase the membership to 12 teams.

The members of the Center Squares team are Andrew Kelemen (2200), Simon Thomson (2150), John Moldovan (1900), Geoff McAuliffe (1700), Ken Calitri (1650), and Glen Hart (1600). As Glen has been communicating with me about the team's interest in playing, I think he would be the captain.     

Members of the new team previously played for Bergen Chess Mates, Kenilworth, West Orange and Summit chess clubs. Please welcome the new team, Center Squares, to the League!  

I remind you all that the Garden State Chess League Newsletter is still projected to come out. Please submit your games for publication. These should be given to me or John Hagerty, President of West Orange Chess Club.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Yours,

Lev Zilbermintz

President of the Garden State Chess League
DJM473

@werewolf2