Forums

Unrated adult looking for first tournament

Sort:
chriswhite216

I am an unrated player in Cincinnati, Ohio looking to dip my toe into the world of rated chess. The only things I could find were high entry fees with u900 being the lowest class. Are there any unrated sections in tournaments for adults? Preferably around me.

chriswhite216

I don't even have a rating. I would need to register with uscf, then play at least 1 rated game before I receive a rating.

JimRichmond

You should also check your state chess association for a list of local tournaments that might have lower entry fees. 

Typically unrated players are better off starting in these small local events before diving into the bigger prize tournaments.

jbot43

I played in scholastic tournaments when I was under 1000 and it was really fun, people forget that tournaments aren't just about improving your rating and winning prize money, it's about the thrill of competition and getting to know other players in your local chess community. I wouldn't jump straight into Grand Prix type events where entry fees are upwards of $100 but there are lots of local quads or action tournaments depending on your location. Maybe try your state website? Here's the Ohio Chess Association: https://ohchess.org/tournaments/list-view-all-events.html

Here's another option, the Cincinnati Chess Club: www.cincinnatichessclub.com

Good luck! Hope you have fun! Money is temporary, experiences are forever.

boboneill
Chris, I started to get rated via USCF. You need to become a member first but after you join USCF you can participate in rated tournaments. Just beware...your tournament day is going to be mostly high school age kids as well as 8 year old with a bunch of parents who all think they are raising the next Magnus...I was playing a 7 year old who was losing so he started to get upset and I took a draw in a winning position...I felt bad that a child was put into this tournament world and started to get sad at losing...speaking of losing, be prepared to lose to kids...they can be very skilled!
RDW_24

Chris, just like everyone else said check out USCF and search Ohio tournament.

I am in Cincy as well check out the Cincinnati chess club.

They meet on Thursdays for sure in Deer Park and Wednesdays.  believe Wednesday is at the Starbucks in the Harper's point Kroger

Laskersnephew

Ditto on the Cincinnati chess club! You will find friendly people who can point you in the right direction

https://cincinnatichessclub.com/

jetoba
chriswhite216 wrote:

I don't even have a rating. I would need to register with uscf, then play at least 1 rated game before I receive a rating.

You need at least four games to officially have a rating and at least 26 games (sometimes more if you've won all of them or lost all of them) to have an established rating.

CptObvious

Definitely look for a U1200 or U1400 section. If you're a good sport about losing then it can still be a rewarding experience, although IMO you'd get more out of it once you're at the skill level of a 1200.

When you do go to a tournament, my best advice is to forget about rating and just focus on learning. 

Tip: If you can afford an Oculus Quest 2, there's a chess app that provides a fairly realistic OTB experience. I highly recommend it.