Forums

a puzzle from josh waitzkin's game vs bobby fisher

Sort:
DRcheckmate

win in 9 moves
Shivsky

You might want to be a bit more accurate about the source => Waitzkin did not play Bobby Fischer, as far as uncle google + the chessbase megabase can account for.

Though given the puzzle, it appears that you are referring to the final movie game contrived by Josh and Bruce Pandolfini for the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". This was a game between Josh and a fictional character called Jonathan Poe.  In reality, Josh played Jeff Sarwer in the final round and drew him to share the championship.

pompom
Shivsky wrote:

You might want to be a bit more accurate about the source => Waitzkin did not play Bobby Fischer, as far as uncle google + the chessbase megabase can account for.

Though given the puzzle, it appears that you are referring to the final movie game contrived by Josh and Bruce Pandolfini for the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer". This was a game between Josh and a fictional character called Jonathan Poe.  In reality, Josh played Jeff Sarwer in the final round and drew him to share the championship.

Yes, you're right.  He didn't play Bobby Fischer, but it was from the movie "Searching from Bobby Fisher".  And yes, Josh drew Jeff Sarwer in the last round.

By the way, I thought the king was at d5, not c3.  If it was on c3, it would be a draw.

DRcheckmate

oh sorry my mistake

gambit156

hummmmmmmmmmm!!

tapan11235
pompom wrote:
Shivsky wrote:

Yes, you're right.  He didn't play Bobby Fischer, but it was from the movie "Searching from Bobby Fisher".  And yes, Josh drew Jeff Sarwer in the last round.

By the way, I thought the king was at d5, not c3.  If it was on c3, it would be a draw.

It would not be draw. After the position you have given just White Queen has to give check on each step and has to approach near the Black King

pompom
tapan11235 wrote:
pompom wrote:
Shivsky wrote:

It would not be draw. After the position you have given just White Queen has to give check on each step and has to approach near the Black King

Black has a pawn on the rook file, so it is a draw.  There is no way the white king can approach.

LegoPirate
DRcheckmate wrote:

oh sorry my mistake

Then why don't you correct the one like that on your profile?

pogah
in the movie there's no queen before waitzkin ask for a draw and share the championship with poe, Poe captured the black's queen in the middle of the game and then waitzkin captured white's queen by knight in doble check...

i think this is more accurate position of the game before waitzkin ask for a draw, but i dunno the exact position of the black rook correct me if im wrong....
pompom

Yes, that is the correct position.  White could have still drawn.

dachessmaster4eva

black's 7th move would've been kb2

karangtarunasemarang

Smile

shukthemaster

i,ve seen the movie and i remeber that the black king was on d5

Cameronjmayer

where can i find the whole game??

Pokervane
Cameronjmayer wrote:

http://bit.ly/zttaMd

Cameronjmayer
mark100net wrote:
Cameronjmayer wrote:

that gives u the real game, i want the "Movie Game"

saxenas81

nice explination by others

Pokervane
Cameronjmayer wrote:
mark100net wrote:
Cameronjmayer wrote:

that gives u the real game, i want the "Movie Game"

On what planet do you expect to find that?  If you didn't see the movie, do you really think they showed every single move in a whole (non-miniature) chess game in a mainstream movie?  Which is what they would have to have done for there to be a complete score since the game otherwise never happened.

(and if you did see the movie, then you know they didn't show every move, which should lead you to the same conclusion)

Pokervane

A link was already posted to the real game.  Did you really need to revive a  two year old thread for an off topic rant?

FrankoJudo

When I set this up and use Chessmaster 10k vs Chessmaster 10k, this game ended up in a draw. CM did not take the knight but advance his pawn. It goes, 7) h5 a5 8)h6 Nf7 9)h7 a4 10)Kg6 Nh8+ 11)Kg7 a3 12)Kxh8 a2 13)Kg8 a1=Q 14)h8=Q. Draw