Forums

Arturo Reggio vs Jacques Mieses, Monte Carlo 1903.

Sort:
blueemu

KeSetoKaiba

Very nice solution happy.png

anjum_samuel

Superb. thumbup

Duck

Took me quite a few tries to find the move Rg3!!! That was when I realized what black's plan is. Brilliant puzzle! 

Mrfish1000

Solved!

K_Brown

The tricky part is how to deflect the queen without the zwischenzug Bxa6. It actually seems near impossible for black to get anything more than a draw if white plays accurately for a few moves. 

Cool position.

blueemu

Just FYI, this game's tournament... Monte Carlo 1903... was the one in which the infamous Colonel Moreau went zero-for-26 (no wins, no draws, 26 losses). A record that has never been broken.

KeSetoKaiba
blueemu wrote:

Just FYI, this game's tournament... Monte Carlo 1903... was the one in which the infamous Colonel Moreau went zero-for-26 (no wins, no draws, 26 losses). A record that has never been broken.

oof. Now my first ever State Championship Tournament score of 0.5/5 doesn't seem so terrible (3 losses the first day and draw in game 4 followed by another loss). Playing OTB chess is just a learning curve is all; it takes a little getting used to wink.png

x-7922530384

1.Rg3 2.Bh4 3.Qe3 4Qxe2

zone_chess

Amazing deflection. I saw the epaulette but not the key to unlock it.

BishopTakesH7

Very neat.

exceptionalfork

Great puzzle!

FRIEDTURKEY69

I played rook takes g2 and that was the best move tho

Arisktotle
FRIEDTURKEY69 wrote:

I played rook takes g2 and that was the best move tho

That's a good point! Even worse, after the game solution 1..Rg3!? white is left with a drawish position - according to SF. What is weird though is that I made the same analysis with SF 3 days ago and and it gave me a clear win for black. Or is my memory messed up?