Forums

Attention: Adriandmen, BiggDoggProblem and Rooperi

Sort:
stephen_33

Good point about 2.Bxh1# - I thought any check by Black would do to disrupt mate in 2 but overlooked the defensive move is also mate !

As for 1...Rd4, you tricked me there because what was a white pawn on g3 became a black one, otherwise 2.Rxf2# works o/k.

Back to the drawing board    Wink

Asorski
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

why do your problems have to have so many god damn pieces?.

Hurts my head

As I've said, I have to use promoted pieces to present my idea clearly.

My main idea is castling, Black checks and White mates. Let's see:

I'm waiting for the confirmation of either Adrian or BDP. I hope the key is nice and sound!Cool

Asorski
stephen_33 wrote:

Good point about 2.Bxh1# - I thought any check by Black would do to disrupt mate in 2 but overlooked the defensive move is also mate !

As for 1...Rd4, you tricked me there because what was a white pawn on g3 became a black one, otherwise 2.Rxf2# works o/k.

Back to the drawing board    

Stephen_33, Even though the g3-pawn is a White piece then 1. Rf1 Rd4 2. Rxf2+ Ke5! You missed again the defensive idea. He he.Laughing

Asorski

Balachandar, we are looking for a mate in 2. Not mate in 3.

Adriandmen

The diagram at post 22 has only one solution: 1.O-O as you said Laughing. So there's only one key. However, this puzzle has 6 duals after 1...Ra3:

2.Ba2# -- 2.Bb3# -- 2.Bc4# -- 2.Qf4# -- 2.Qexe4# -- 2.Qbxe4#

But that doesn't count here Laughing. Just saying Cool.

Great puzzle Asorski. But the key is very obvious for composers.

Asorski
Balachandar wrote:

I tried using the fiagram in the first post, and in that, there is no rook at f6. So, mate in 3 is the shorest mate possible. 

later, I have seen that a rook has been added at f6 in the consequent posts.

OK. Sorry but that was already been corrected.  The diagram at post 22 is the final and correct position. Thanks for solving.

Asorski
Adriandmen wrote:

The diagram at post 22 has only one solution: 1.O-O as you said . So there's only one key. However, this puzzle has 6 duals after 1...Ra3:

But that doesn't count here . Just saying .

Good to know that this has only one solution.Laughing Well I'm happy now. I have created a very complicated position with an easy key but beautiful variations!

This will be posted as my 52nd puzzle. Thanks a lot Adriandmen for the confirmation!.Laughing

BigDoggProblem
Asorski wrote:
Adriandmen wrote:

The diagram at post 22 has only one solution: 1.O-O as you said . So there's only one key. However, this puzzle has 6 duals after 1...Ra3:

Good to know that this has only one solution. Well I'm happy now. I have created a very complicated position with an easy key but beautiful variations!

This will be posted as my 52nd puzzle. Thanks a lot Adriandmen for the confirmation!.

I can't help but think that the problem can be economized, and some of the duals eliminated. Here's what I've got so far.

White mates in 2

Adriandmen
BigDoggProblem wrote:
Asorski wrote:
Adriandmen wrote:

Good to know that this has only one solution. Well I'm happy now. I have created a very complicated position with an easy key but beautiful variations!

This will be posted as my 52nd puzzle. Thanks a lot Adriandmen for the confirmation!.

I can't help but think that the problem can be economized, and some of the duals eliminated. Here's what I've got so far.

White mates in 2

I think Asorski added pieces to confuse the solver. Like the mindcracker.

Asorski

BigDoggProblem, My earliest version of my puzzle was very identical to you. Here is my earliest version but I rejected this because I want to open the h-file for the Rook-check  on h5. 

Asorski

Adriandmen wrote: "I think Asorski added pieces to confuse the solver. Like the mindcracker."

You are correct Adriandmen. "Sometimes in a battle of problem ideas I have to give up something to get something!" In my final version (post 22), obtrusive pieces ruins the puzzle a bit but the key (1.O-O) added more weight. The  Rook on h1 withdraws from it's active post, a common theme   very common to almost all problem composers.

In my earliest version, I remove the pawn on g5 to give the Black King "some fresh air". Also the solver would think that the white Rook on h1 will stay there because of the set mate: ...Nh5 1. Rxh5#!

I believe, my final version is much harder than my earliest version.

stephen_33

Good to see that all came together in the end Asorski. Your puzzles are usually satisfyingly complicated - I got reasonably confused !

Just one small complaint - I tried to make sense of your corrected puzzle (see post #16) in the Analysis Board but it wouldn't allow castling because you had disabled it !  Didn't we have this problem once before ?

I do note that you corrected this in post #22 !

Asorski
stephen_33 wrote:

Good to see that all came together in the end Asorski. Your puzzles are usually satisfyingly complicated - I got reasonably confused !

Just one small complaint - I tried to make sense of your corrected puzzle (see post #16) in the Analysis Board but it wouldn't allow castling because you had disabled it !  Didn't we have this problem once before ?

I do note that you corrected this in post #22 !

Thank you for a nice compliment stephen_33.Laughing

You know, I always try to make my puzzles difficult and beautiful. More often, I put more effort on the difficulty of the key move. Beautiful problems are sometimes easy to solve.

Back to puzzle 52: I did not intentionally disabled the castling option. Maybe I just did not click the "allowed castling" box. As you can see from the top, castling is the main purpose of this problem. 

BigDoggProblem
Asorski wrote:

BigDoggProblem, My earliest version of my puzzle was very identical to you. Here is my earliest version but I rejected this because I want to open the h-file for the Rook-check  on h5. 

OK, but I don't think Rh5+ ever looks like a viable option to the solver, because Ng7 is guarding h5 and he has a backup on e8.

It would be awesome if Rh5+ failed due to some more subtle reason.

Asorski

BigDoggProblem,  You're right the Rook on h1 is just a bystander. Expert solver will notice immediately the Rook there doing nothing. They will easily see the castling maneuver as a key to the puzzle.

Maybe I could effectively make this (with no promoted pieces) in a mate in 3 or mate in 4.

datdingocampo

it's mate in three moves..1. Ne6xNg7+  N x N 2. Bc4+  Qe5 3. QxQ+ mate