Forums

Beautiful Mate

Sort:
Mandy711

White to mate in 4 (or 6)

bean_Fischer

+1

NimzoRoy

Nice, did you make it up or find it someplace?

BTW the correct heading is "Mate in 5" not "4 or 6" and the solution should be shown as follows:

1. Qg5+ Bxg5 2. hxg5+ Kh53. Rh8 Qc8+ (3...Qh8 4.g4#; 3...Qg3+ 4.Kg3 any Rh7#) 4.Rc8 f5 5.g4#  

Since Black can postpone mate for five moves that is the "main line" technically 3...Qh8 and 3...Qg3+ are both incorrect because they permit mate in 4 instead of 5, so they are variations of the solution - which consists of the loser dragging things out as many moves as possible.

Mandy711

Thanks for the correction. I found this beauty in my tactics database.

shoopi
MelvinDoucet wrote:

Nice; I played fxg5+, I wonder if it makes any difference.

There is no difference.

Playing 3. Rg7 though is clearly losing, as white now cannot capture the black queen after 3... Qc8+.

shoopi
NimzoRoy wrote:

Nice, did you make it up or find it someplace?

BTW the correct heading is "Mate in 5" not "4 or 6" and the solution should be shown as follows:

1. Qg5+ Bxg5 2. hxg5+ Kh53. Rh8 Qc8+ (3...Qh8 4.g4#; 3...Qg3+ 4.Kg3 any Rh7#) 4.Rc8 f5 5.g4#  

Since Black can postpone mate for five moves that is the "main line" technically 3...Qh8 and 3...Qg3+ are both incorrect because they permit mate in 4 instead of 5, so they are variations of the solution - which consists of the loser dragging things out as many moves as possible.

Only that 5. g4+ isn't mate. 5. Rh8 is the correct response. This is mate in 6.

NimzoRoy

Only that 5. g4+ isn't mate. 5. Rh8 is the correct response. This is mate in 6shoopi

I guess I picked the wrong day to start correcting puzzles...

shoopi

Sealed

Tongue Out