x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Can you see more than 100 moves ahead ?

Here is a study I've just composed. The solution lasts more than 100 moves, and no computer could find it, but probably you can. Actually if you can guess the best first 2 moves for each side you can consider it solved. 

White to play and win.

I'm gonna say 1. h6 to fix Black's pawn at he bcuz if black gets h6 in its a draw. Then black has to play 1....Ba2 to save his bishop. Then white plays 2. a3 to allow his king to triangulate in the opposite corner so he can eventually capture the bishop. Black's king will eventually have to move allowing white to queen either the f or h pawn

1....Bh2 not a2

[COMMENT DELETED]

I can't even see 95 moves ahead. sad.png

1.h6 looks correct then a3 to triangulate, then when Black's King is on the back rank, play g6 then f6. If Black ever does ...hxg6 he will eventually run out of moves and his King will be in zugzwang with one of those 2 pawns Queening. If he doesn't play ...hxg6 then White will play gxh7 and that pawn or f7 wins.

This is the rewrite of my original comment. I missed a fine point which makes it even better than I thought it was. Excellent logical study!

1. h6! (a3? h6! or Kxg1? h6! kills it) Bh2 (..a3 .Kxg1 wins through zz in the end) 2. a3 and white starts running triangles. 

AussieRookie got it right but I added a bit of analysis.

Congrats to those who have found the solution.
    1.Kxg1? only draws after 1...h6! 2.gxh6 (2.f6 Kf7!) Kh7! 3.f6 Kxh6! and black king will oscillate between h6 and h7.
    So 1.h6! Bh2 2.a3! Kf7! to prevent g6 for as long as possible. But white king will triangulate and black will have to play Kf8 allowing g6! hxg6 f6! Kg8 and then will be in ZZ.

Pretty cool!

Awesome!

Actually this is an impossible position as White's pawn structure could not occur in a real game. But very entertaining!

Incorrect. White's pawn structure could certainly have occurred in a real game - original White pawns on d3 and e3 only had to capture 4 Black pieces altogether to get to f5 and g5.

Wait no I'm wrong. there's only 7 white pawns not 8

I created a similar pawn duo in a recent 10/0 Blitz game.

Fantastic study, by the way!

Platzerwasel wrote:

Actually this is an impossible position as White's pawn structure could not occur in a real game. But very entertaining!

Four of black's seven pieces were captured by the two pawns.
    The black g-pawn advanced before say the last pawn x piece.

I thought the same of the knight but possible was Nh1 g3.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr WHAT 🍣🍢🍜🍝🍘🍙🍚🍚😱😱😱😱😵😶😽
    brianaiden wrote:
    Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr WHAT 🍣🍢🍜🍝🍘🍙🍚🍚😱😱😱😱😵😶😽

You tried it and didn't win?

no... but my father can count 100 sheep before sleeping deep!

Solved in just 2 minutes ;)

Online Now