Forums

CHESS PUZZLE. MATE IN 2.

Sort:
GINOPFRITZ

arashyazdani

Are You ok?

at first u can Re7 & checkmate in 1

dkham

Its a clever puzzle. The black rook/bishop combinations mean any move he makes is bad news. If he moves one of them one square it blocks the other. If he moves a bishop all the way in or moves the pawn forward that blocks an escape square for his King and he can be checkmated. Finally the king cant move and neither can the knight.

So all white needs to do is make a move which changes nothing (there are a few of these in fact) and then win after blacks move.

Thats if I understand it right. 

mathijs
What about 1.Rax7 threatening 2.Nc7#?
GINOPFRITZ
mathijs wrote: What about 1.Rax7 threatening 2.Nc7#?

BLACK MOVE.........e5.

GINOPFRITZ
GINOPFRITZ wrote: mathijs wrote: What about 1.Rax7 threatening 2.Nc7#?

BLACK MOVE.........e5.

or rather e6.Smile

GINOPFRITZ
GINOPFRITZ wrote: GINOPFRITZ wrote: mathijs wrote: What about 1.Rax7 threatening 2.Nc7#?

BLACK MOVE.........e5.

or rather e6.

or ...........Bc6+

mathijs

1...Bc6+ refutes my move, but 1...e5 is impossible, and 1...f5 (if that's what you meant) fails to 2.Qd6#. And 1...f6 (if that is what you meant by 1...e6) does nothing to prevent the mate, so still 2.Nc7#.

GINOPFRITZ

mathijs wrote:

1...Bc6+ refutes my move, but 1...e5 is impossible, and 1...f5 (if that's what you meant) fails to 2.Qd6#. And 1...f6 (if that is what you meant by 1...e6) does nothing to prevent the mate, so still 2.Nc7#.

If, 1. Rxa7..e6 2. Nc7+..Rh7xc7 no mate in 2.

If, 1. Rxa7..e62. Qd6+..Kf6 no mate in 2.

If, 1. Rxa7..Bc6+ impossible mate in 2.

Hope this answers your question.

The key move there is Bc3. No other possible solution.

mathijs
I think you're slightly misrepresening my argument and your notation is still off, but you're right: no mate after either 1...Bc6+ or 1...f6.
crazychessmonster
but first you can do re7 mate
GINOPFRITZ
crazychessmonster wrote: but first you can do re7 mate

If, Re7...Ra7xe7+ no mate in 2.

venkatesh920
the first puzzle is flawed.....if white plays Bb3, then black has the upper hand by playing Bc6+ then if rook captures bishop, Ra8, black has no chance of escapin the chckmate....
Pavrey
venkatesh920 wrote: the first puzzle is flawed.....if white plays Bb3, then black has the upper hand by playing Bc6+ then if rook captures bishop, Ra8, black has no chance of escapin the chckmate....

if ..Bxc6+, then Rxc6 is checkmate!

If you look at the position carefully, you will find that the only White piece that can make the first move is the bishop. Good puzzle.

CEyers
1st puzzle, what about black 1st move f7 to f5, no checkmate in two as Rc5 (per 2nd puzzle does not work because of Ba8xRc5, Black rooks get paired otherwise BBishop checks and takes Knight on so B5 as white bishop no longer covers, there may even be a mate for black in there somewhere...did I miss something?
CEyers
Oops Qd6#
Pablo_Gregorian
clever puzzle! typical case of not wanting to move for black
CEyers
1...Bf6 covers e7 ?
GINOPFRITZ
CEyers wrote: 1...Bf6 covers e7 ?

Qg4+ mate.

CEyers
Thanks, good puzzle, nicely complexCool