Forums

Endgame Draw

Sort:
lastwarrior2010

From a 5min blitz game I played in school, very easy puzzle. It is amazing that this is a draw with so much material from black.

lastwarrior2010

he realized he couldn't make progress and offered a draw.

ADK

Did you accept? It says a draw was the result, but you could clearly win that one.

ADK

ADK
tonydal wrote:

He shouldn't have.  It's a win (check it out on the Nalimov tablebase).

Yeah, I know it's not a draw because White still has a moveable Bishop and there is absolutely NO way he could win so why would he accept the draw?

ADK

xie1995

@komoliddin07,

6. Kh1 draws, why not?

Krish30

it is stikl.l a draw

Krish30
Krish30

still game over for white

ilmago

The initial position is a win for black.

I would recommend to:

* leave the second pawn back on h6. One can advance this pawn to h5, but DO NOT advance this pawn to h4 anytime soon. There are positions which are a draw with rook vs bishop and a pawn on h4.

* play ...Kg4, ...h2 (Bxh2) and ...Kh3

* drive the king out of the corner with a maneuver such as

...Rh2+,

Kg1          R_attacks_bishop,

Bmoves     R_gives_check_on_first_rank.

this will black allow to make decisive progress and win this endgame.

------

Note that interestingly, there are positions with R+pawn vs bishop which are a draw if the pawn is an a, c, f or h-pawn, if this pawn is too far advanced and if the bishop has "the wrong colour".

Krish30
ilmago wrote:

The initial position is a win for black.

I would recommend to:

* leave the second pawn back on h6. One can advance this pawn to h5, but DO NOT advance this pawn to h4 anytime soon. There are positions which are a draw with rook vs bishop and a pawn on h4.

* play ...Kg4, ...h2 (Bxh2) and ...Kh3

* drive the king out of the corner with a maneuver such as

...Rh2+,

Kg1          R_attacks_bishop,

Bmoves     R_gives_check_on_first_rank.

this will black allow to make decisive progress and win this endgame.

------

Note that interestingly, there are positions with R+pawn vs bishop which are a draw if the pawn is an a, c, f or h-pawn, if this pawn is too far advanced and if the bishop has "the wrong colour".

i will have to aggre with you

ilmago

Sorry, my first recommendation on how to make progress here gave a continuation that is a somewhat longer way to win than necessary here.

There is even a winning method with the king still in the corner, which is faster than what I had first been thinking of:

(It requires quite a bit of subtle maneuvering along the way)

pvmike

here's the winning line

lastwarrior2010

in the real game, black flagged so it was a draw.

xie1995
philtheforce

yeah as bishop has to take pawn K + R vs K is a won endgame for black