Forums

Gimme Shelter

Sort:
TheGrobe

A nice little combo from a game I recently finished:

White looks to be in trouble.  A horribly passive rook, poor piece coordination and Black's threatening the devastating Re1+.

[Edit: Modified the puzzle to promote the variation that wasn't played during the game for aesthetic reasons]

PrawnEatsPrawn

Neat finish, I only saw half of it straight away, had to "cheat" for Rb8+. Embarassed

TheGrobe

Yeah, that's the key move.  Took me quite a while to see it, I'm glad I took the time to really sit on this position.  Not often I get to crack out an interference tactic like that, let alone in conjunction with a discovered check.

TheGrobe

Incidentally, it played out the way the main line of the puzzle shows, but I find the variation much more asthetically pleasing.

[Edit: I'm changing up the puzzle -- I like it better the other way]

oinquarki

I missed it.Frown

Well played.

bigpoison

Dude, if you ever pull something like that off against me and make a puzzle post describing it, please use my chess.com handle in the game title rather than NN.

It's not like anything is private on the internet, anyway!Tongue out

Awesome game, by the way.  Those black pawns were maniacs...bloody berserkers.  I'm afraid I'd have lost my cool...and the game.

I think 19. Ng1 was my favourite move of the game because, at first I thought, "what a wasted move."  In the end though, your puzzle likely never would have occured without it.

TheGrobe
oinquarki wrote:

I missed it.

Well played.

But for this tactical shot, I was outplayed.

TheGrobe
bigpoison wrote:

I think 19. Ng1 was my favourite move of the game because, at first I thought, "what a wasted move."  In the end though, your puzzle likely never would have occured without it.

That knight had nowhere to go, was holding my other peices back and  g1 was a better choice than e1.  I didn't like to have to undevelop a piece like that, but the alternative was worse.