Mate In 3

RewanDemontay

Here's a mate in three I made. It's a new record for economy  of its kind

Arisktotle

A new record with a bit more economy?

RewanDemontay

I was going only for mutual promotion of the same piece, but combinations are also fine. That is pretty light. Here's a reverse.

Just to repost my two from the other forum;

With White promoting first, your problem and all of mine amount to 5 of out 16 possible combinations-Rr, Bb, Nn, Rb, and Br. I'd like to do underpromotion combos first.

Arisktotle

I was actually looking for the AUW since I have already 3 with the Queen promotion in a thematic variation. But the knight is hard to include!

Arisktotle

OK, here is the AUW. Not as efficient as I wanted it, but correct. And it is mate in 4.

sameez1

The 1st one I thought I had right away.forgot black could under promote too. great puzzle

RewanDemontay
  • Thanks! Here are a few more combos-Rn, Bn, and Qn. That's 8/16 now. The Qn is a bit week though.

Arisktotle

Your problems are inspiring, RewanDemontay! I often get ideas from watching problems of other composers.

RewanDemontay

Thanks! Also, you're AUW idea is not without precedent. See No. 97 in A.C. White's 1912 book "The Theory Of Pawn Promotion": http://problem64.beda.cz/silo/white_pawns_promotion.pdf

sameez1
Arisktotle wrote:

OK, here is the AUW. Not as efficient as I wanted it, but correct. And it is mate in 4.

liked getting the king in there.

Arisktotle
RewanDemontay wrote:

Thanks! Also, you're AUW idea is not without precedent. See No. 97 in A.C. White's 1912 book "The Theory Of Pawn Promotion": http://problem64.beda.cz/silo/white_pawns_promotion.pdf

Hmmm ... see no AUW in any of the 97th combo. But of course, these problems are all better than mine which is quickly composed. But I will come up with something better!

Arisktotle

This AUW is OK. Plus some extra stuff. And precisely 3 moves. 

Arisktotle

This is the most efficient AUW with this sort of setting:

RewanDemontay

Nicely done!

Arisktotle

Thx! Something went wrong with the last diagram. Repaired it!

Arisktotle

Oh, and the last one is a Meredith!

RewanDemontay

Clappity calp, now I'm stealing that smart scalp, for my own use in chess! wink.png

Arisktotle

I always thought you were of indian descend wink.png

I promise the next one is the last for the time being! It is technically the best because there are 4 different solutions for the 4 defenses and the solutions in some are the tries in others! I'm pretty sure you will not find them all easily!