mate in two(334)

sameez1

White in two   by  V. Bartolovic   1970

Arisktotle

Great combination of albino and starflight! And an extremely light position as well.

I have a book by Jan C. Roosendaal, JanC as we used to call him, with pickaninnies/albino's and star/cross flights. Not many combinations of those themes in 1 problem though. This problem is not in the book because Jan didn't include orthodox problems - only helpmates, selfmates and such stuff. But I think he wrote an orthodox book as well which I can't find in my collection.

sameez1

Did you ever have any contact with him in Amsterdam?..........I thought I seen it right away make black move the king, take away one of his flight squares.Wrong! what a great puzzle this was.

Mr_Alex_Pims
Is the answer Rxc3?
Arisktotle

JanC was an occasional visitor of an Amsterdam chess cafe, where I met him first. Also saw him on meetings of the dutch problem society. He was a nice guy and a traditional problem composer - unlike me!

sameez1
Mr_Alex_Pims wrote:
Is the answer Rxc3?

No,.....Ka6   Key is in white 1.Pd4

BoboTheFlyingSheep67

The answer is d4 ! Forcing the King to move. Every king move leads to mate 

Arisktotle

By the way, sameez1, never take away a flight square unless you give one back as well. Almost 0% chance that will solve your problem! Except on very old or inferior problems.

sameez1

yeah I jumped on Pd3 too soon,

Rocky64

This is a great problem that I analysed in a post on my chess problem site a while back...

sameez1
Rocky64 wrote:

This is a great problem that I analysed in a post on my chess problem site a while back...

Thanks for the link to a great site,,,,,,Most of the puzzles I have been posting are from the fantastic book by Sir  Jeremy Morse that you mention in your analysis. Just thought I should share some on here.

ChessTerminatorOn

D4!!

Rocky64
sameez1 wrote:

Thanks for the link to a great site,,,,,,Most of the puzzles I have been posting are from the fantastic book by Sir  Jeremy Morse that you mention in your analysis. Just thought I should share some on here.

No worries! So you've been quoting works from his Tasks and Records book. Finally I understand what are those numbers given in your topic headings! grin.png