Forums

QUESTION TO ALL D4 PLAYERS.

Sort:
Adriandmen

Hello everybody. I have a question, but only for all d4 players:

What is the opening you don't like to play against if you played d4.

I was just wondering Laughing...

Thank you all

MoonlessNight

I play e4 now, but I didn't like to face ...e5, I never prepared against it.

Martin0

For me it's Grunfeld and most of Queens Gambit decline variations. I like playing against Indian openings and against sacrifices like d4 e5 which I think is what most players believe d4-players don't like to meet.

Mr_Spocky

Grunfeld and Queens gambit

Adriandmen

So, most d4 players don't like Grunfeld???

flashboy2222

nimzo, i love playing against Grunfeld

Adriandmen

It is or Grunfeld:

or Nimzo-Indian:

or Queens Gambit:

bronsteinitz
[COMMENT DELETED]
jclheriteau

When I used to play d4 (i now play e4) I didn't like the Nimzo-Indian.

When you play d4, I doubt you are not ready for the Queen Gambit or Grunfeld....

Martin0
jclheriteau wrote:

When I used to play d4 (i now play e4) I didn't like the Nimzo-Indian.

When you play d4, I doubt you are not ready for the Queen Gambit or Grunfeld....

I don't know about the average d4-player, but I think the norm is that d4-players like theory and are ready to play the Queens Gambit or Grunfeld. I am a d4-player and I'm the opposite of all those 3 statements. It sounds kind of strange to play d4 and get disappointed when your opponent replies with d5. I know I'm not alone though.

hakim2005

nimzo indian is a very solid defence against d4

kamalov

D4 can be solid for non fast attackers, and same time can play open fast games for early attack in Blits.

For me, I m ready for anything after D4. 

lisle12345

I used to play d4 but I was tired of gambiting a pawn in the opening.  I just find e4 is much faster for developing your pieces.

bastiaan

Actually, with the queen's gambit accapted you eventually win the pawn back. When I play d4 I'm mostly hoping for a QG accepted, the longer the opponent holds on to the pawn, the more room for tactics and attacks on the queenside

Martin0

One interesting line in the queens gambit (that I don't like to play Tongue Out)

mapearson1990

I dislike most Dutch defences but especially Stonewall positions. Paradoxically, I play Dutch as Black because I find it difficult to deal with when I play White.

Martin0
pfren wrote:

I had the impression that d4 players mostly dislike answering stupid questions. Apparently not the case.

What makes it a stupid question? It's just reversed to asking what black players like to play against d4, but asking what d4 players dislike instead. While it's probably worse than asking black players it's still interesting to see (for me at least). If it would be a question from the next guy I would play in a tournament or such I probably wouldn't answer.

9thEagle

I dislike the Caro, but only beause I face it rarely enough that I never bothered to learn it. And yes, I do know that the Caro-kann is typically an e4 defense.

Grobzilla
pfren wrote:

I had the impression that d4 players mostly dislike answering stupid questions. Apparently not the case.

Man. Every time I click a thread and somebody is taking abuse from a higher rated player, there you are. Shouldn't an IM show both a little more class and some understanding towards lower ranked players? You could simply ignore any question you deem not worth answering, seeing as it wasn't directed right at you. Instead, you belittle both the queryer and every responder. You might play great chess, but you're a little bit despicable.

bastiaan

I think the most annoying to play against with 1.d4 is the budapest gambit.