The Amazing Fairy Collection - Puzzle 2

  • #1

    Well hello everyone. Here is my second puzzle!!. Good luck and happy solving!!. The movements will follow...

    Grasshopper: b7 - f7 - b5 - c1

    Princess: h8 - a7

    Empress: g1

    Okapi: a3


                               White mates in 2

  • #2

    The grasshopper jumps over a pieces. It can't hop twice over a piece:

    Here white can take the rook on b4!

    The princess moves as a bishop + knight:

    The empress moves as a rook + knight:

    The okapi moves as a knight (2+1) and as a 2,3 hopper (2+3):

    Good luck and happy solving Wink.

  • #3

    Is it really that hard Wink...

  • #4

    ow, haha... Sorry for that.

  • #5

    1.P(rincess)xc8 Nxc8 2.Qg6#

    1... Be6 Qxe6#

  • #6

    O(okapi)d5#

  • #7

    y2721 wrote:

    O(okapi)d5#

    Black is not in check.

  • #8
    andrewjmen wrote:

    1.P(rincess)xc8 Nxc8 2.Qg6#

    1... Be6 Qxe6#

    1... Gxc8

  • #9
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #10

    Exf1 then Eg3#

  • #11
    y2721 wrote:

    Exf1 then Eg3#

    Eg3 Kxf4

  • #12
    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • #13

    Nh3 Ng3++ Exg3#

  • #14

    Well, I haven't seen the correct answer:

    1.Pxc8 is refuted by 1...Gxc8!

    1.Od5 isn't a check.

    1.Exf1 doesn't work, because black has the move 2...Kxf4 after Eg3+.

    1.Nh3 threatens nothing.

    Well, the puzzle still isn't solved Cry.

  • #15
    Adriandmen wrote:

    Well, I haven't seen the correct answer:

    1.Pxc8 is refuted by 1...Gxc8!

    1.Od5 isn't a check.

    1.Exf1 doesn't work, because black has the move 2...Kxf4 after Eg3+.

    1.Nh3 threatens nothing.

    Well, the puzzle still isn't solved .

    It's a bit heavy. I do variant problems myself, but I try to avoid making 'zoos' because they aren't appealing for solving.

  • #16

    The problem is a bit difficult because, firstly it is quite full of pieces which means many moves must be looked at and analysed. But mostly because there are many fairy pieces which means we can rely less on our chess instincts and experience.

     

    In short, it would just take a longer time to solve this puzzle than a normal chess problem. I looked at it for 10 minutes but didn't see the right answer yet, so I moved on. This is not to say anything about the puzzle's quality, just that I preferred someone else to do the calculating Smile

  • #17

    Bxh7+ Ng6 Qxg6/Bxg6# (Gxh7 gets me stuck, what to do?)

     

    Edit: You have to prevent Ng3++

  • #18

    Just looking at the position again, I can't find a defence to 1. Qd6 followed by 2. Qe5#.

     

    1... Gxf4 2. Qxf4#, 1... Nc6 2. Qg6#, 1... Ng3+ (or any other square) 2. Exg3#, 1... Rxh8 2. gxh8=O#. I think that covers everything.

  • #19
    shoopi wrote:

    Just looking at the position again, I can't find a defence to 1. Qd6 followed by 2. Qe5#.

     

    1... Gxf4 2. Qxf4#, 1... Nc6 2. Qg6#, 1... Ng3+ (or any other square) 2. Exg3#, 1... Rxh8 2. gxh8=O#. I think that covers everything.

    If so, that's a lot of fairy pieces not doing anything in the solution Surprised

  • #20

    The grasshopper xf5

Top
or Join

Online Now