Forums

The longest checkmate problem - 290 move

Sort:
gambitattax

crazy problem

misplacedrook

Isn't every game a checkmate problem? (I know, I know -just saying)

Al-Khalifa93
BigDoggProblem wrote:
Ayoubi-W wrote:

... it is easy to convert it to a legal position ...

Now that I'd like to see.

LOOL - it was misprint

InfiniteFlash

one of the most instructive problems for beginners EVER. not so hard to find the moves, but understanding them is the key. Fantastic material. Thank you for sharing. I approve.

Al-Khalifa93
ucanthandlethetruth wrote:

It seems like theres ways to quickly gain material and probably win without it doing all that.

so how ?

Al-Khalifa93
Randomemory wrote:

one of the most instructive problems for beginners EVER. not so hard to find the moves, but understanding them is the key. Fantastic material. Thank you for sharing. I approve.

Happy to hear that, thank you for participation..

BigDoggProblem
Ayoubi-W wrote:
BigDoggProblem wrote:
Ayoubi-W wrote:

... it is easy to convert it to a legal position ...

Now that I'd like to see.

LOOL - it was misprint

How do you know it's a misprint? All of the sites I googled had this same paragraph.

BigDoggProblem

how...Its very old and intended for something else I'm sure. By move 2.c4+ is wrong since blacks bishop is pinned to the king and would simply be lost to c3. the knight standing around on g1 for no apparent reason. when the king moves to d6 he pins himself to the rook and so f6 loses the rook outright...this thing bleeds material like a river trust me I just don't want to fill the entire page mentioning it. but you know a lot of old puzzles are excellent and I do appreciate it.

No, the goal isn't to play a move like 2.c3 and win a Bishop. The goal is to win the King. Tongue Out

Actually, 2.c3?? is a hideous blunder that loses.

doth28

wow!!

BigDoggProblem

your making me work hard but I'll find a way. Is harder than I thought and doesn't work how I said before though.

2...Nb5+ and ...Nc3 and black wins.

Black has you severly outgunned. You can't give him a moment's breathing room or he'll turn the game around.

Irontiger

For those (like me) who wondered why Black cannot triangulate with the bishop on e5/f6/h8, for instance 12...Bf6, Black has to defend e3 when the king is on d3.

Fantastic puzzle.

BigDoggProblem

"you have me wondering if it is possible now my last one didn't work either. It'll be hard because of material disadvantage but I love looking into these because there's no guarantee it made it."

That's the spirit. I also enjoy trying to cook problems. Sometimes you can bust a problem that was considered to be sound for years.

Al-Khalifa93

backreg

There is another Blathy puzzle which is much "simpler" and only takes 262 (or was it 257) moves to mate. Also looks legal, anyone know which one I am talking about?

It is the one where black king is on queenside and has to be triangulated by white queen to gain tempto while white king goes around from queenside to kingside. There are some black knights on 8th rank.

BigDoggProblem
backreg wrote:

There is another Blathy puzzle which is much "simpler" and only takes 262 (or was it 257) moves to mate. Also looks legal, anyone know which one I am talking about?

It is the one where black king is on queenside and has to be triangulated by white queen to gain tempto while white king goes around from queenside to kingside. There are some black knights on 8th rank.

Thanks for the details. I found it. It looks like it is 292 moves, and legal to boot.

Al-Khalifa93
BigDoggProblem wrote:
backreg wrote:

Thanks for the details. I found it. It looks like it is 292 moves, and legal to boot.

thanks for viewing it

Al-Khalifa93

FM backreg thanks a lot..

Capa1618

i beat this thing with 521 moves mate Cool

caveatcanis

@BigDoggProblem Unless I'm miscounting White pawn captures (8) versus missing Black men (4), the 292 move puzzle is also illegal.

BigDoggProblem
caveatcanis wrote:

@BigDoggProblem Unless I'm miscounting White pawn captures (8) versus missing Black men (4), the 292 move puzzle is also illegal.

Balls. I must have operated from a position of hope.