Forums

The most difficult 2-mover problem I've ever seen!

Sort:
Asorski
TDMan wrote:

solution with rook back to e1 fails.

black's response could easily be PxR ..

correct unstoppable solution is Qxf3, then Re5..  (d1 to f3, then e4 to e5)

Hey, 1. Qxf3 fails to ...d1=Q!! How do you proceed?

Fear_ItseIf

edit: disregard lol

Scottrf
TDMan wrote:

solution with rook back to e1 fails.

black's response could easily be PxR ..

correct unstoppable solution is Qxf3, then Re5..  (d1 to f3, then e4 to e5)

That failure was documented in my solution, in the form of a mate in 1.

Adriandmen
Asorski wrote:
renalboy wrote:

What is the point of problems in impossible positions? White has 16 pieces + king + 3 pawns, therefore position could never arise; what possible practical lesson could one learn from this nonsense?

The practical lesson here is: How to solve impossible position without the help of an engine!

Because of the availability of many solving machines (engines), many people now tries to ask the help of computers to solve a particular chess problem.

The maker of this problem intentionally put more pieces than the usual we've seen on the chessboard. This is to discouraged cheaters and engine users. Only the real solvers are welcome here.

As I've said this problem is very very difficult!  Solving this will bring a smile to a solver's face. This is not a Problem composing competition. We're just having fun here!

Now please try to solve it if you want.

Again, stop solving if you cannot find mate in 2 within 2 hours or you will go mad!

You are totally right. I also hate it if my puzzles are getting solved with help of an engine. The people who solved your puzzles except this one, are maybe people with an engine.

Also there is no fun with using an engine, and when you use an engine, don't post the answer. It also spoils the fun for others.

And this is an awesome puzzle. And I checked it with Apwin and there is only one solution!! Great work Asorski.

~~ Adriandmen ~~

TDMan

Scottrf -- there is no 1-move.  The move you propose is counterable.  Just move the king up 1 square to d6.

TDMan

what's an engine?  where do I find one to see how others cheat?

C-nack
TDMan wrote:

Scottrf -- there is no 1-move.  The move you propose is counterable.  Just move the king up 1 square to d6.

There is a knight on c8.

mauriciolopezsr

This "problem" amounts to Chess masturbation!

It is NOT even chess as the rules of chess are right out the window multiple pieces, impossible locations, etc!

Come on, create a position that is actually feasible over the board!

Scottrf
TDMan wrote:

Nxd6 and the king dies.

DalaiLuke
mauriciolopezsr wrote:

This "problem" amounts to Chess masturbation!

It is NOT even chess as the rules of chess are right out the window multiple pieces, impossible locations, etc!

Come on, create a position that is actually feasible over the board!

Dude, it's a mere puzzle... enjoy :)

TheMurphey

1. Rcd4+...Kc6

2. Qc2+...Bc6

3. Qc6++

Three moves. :[

DalaiLuke

What about 1. Qxf3 ???  This sets up mate on the following move regardless of black's reply.

Scottrf

1. Qxf3 Bc5 defends I think?

WSAEME

First I move the Queen from d1 to f3, then the Rook from e4 to d4. 

Scottrf
WSAEME wrote:

First I move the Queen from d1 to f3, then the Rook from e4 to d4. 

WSAEME

The knight at D3 to E5, then the Queen from D1 to D2. 

DalaiLuke

but the reply that cannot be solved with Qf3 (in 2 ... many in 3, as we know :) is simply pxc4

Scottrf
Qxf3 doesn't work, I tried it enough, but can't remember why.
EDIT: Bd6 looks good enough - actually, no, Nb6#, I've had enough of this problem.

heinzie

It looks like this problem by D.T. Brock (1903) with a bunch of senseless pieces added (making the solution work less neatly, too)

DalaiLuke
WSAEME wrote:

The knight at D3 to E5, then the Queen from D1 to D2. 

one of MANY solutions in THREE ... as after 1. Nxe4+  Nxe4 2. Qd2+ ... Nd3 delays the mate