Forums

Whose King is In Danger #1

Sort:
SharmaPawan

Whose King is In Danger . Puzzle#1

Ankiseth

Not even attempting it because I don't know if black is on the bottom or top, and that pawn on f8/c1 is impossible.

stilzkin

2 black square bishops for black... why would you get a bishop instead of a queen with your promoted pawn?

MarvinTheRobot
[COMMENT DELETED]
SharmaPawan
Mazrim_Taim wrote:

Not even attempting it because I don't know if black is on the bottom or top, and that pawn on f8/c1 is impossible.

Now Your Problem Is Solved . Co-ordinates are Availible

SharmaPawan
stilzkin wrote:

2 black square bishops for black... why would you get a bishop instead of a queen with your promoted pawn?

Which Promoted Pawn??

stilzkin

the only way black could have 2 bishops on the same color is to promote a pawn.

stilzkin
[COMMENT DELETED]
Patrinus

I like 2. Ra7# better.

MarvinTheRobot

The puzzle is incorrect because of these reasons:

1. The position is illogical. There is no way you would ever see such a position in a real game. Look at the block of pawns and pieces (king included) in the upper right of the diagram. I don't know any player with a healthy mind that would purposely trap the king and his rook behind his own pawns, that would rather be useful for promotion. Moreover, there are two black bishops. I don't know ANY case where it is better to promote a pawn to a bishop, rather than a queen. There are cases where it is better to promote to a rook (to avoid stalemate) or a knight (usually for a fork or a smother mate), but I can't seem to comprehend a situation where it is better to have a bishop, rather than a queen. The position is outright stupid and too artificial. Therefore the puzzle has no real value, since it cannot be applied to a similar position (because such a position will most likely NOT occur in your games).

2. The puzzle has more than one solution. While 1. Bf1+ b5 2. cxb6# is a correct mate, there is another possibility: 1. Bf1+ b5 2. Ra7#

These two flaws in the puzzle makes it a bad puzzle.

StrategicPlay

Ra7# also works. 

SharmaPawan

hmmm...

K_Sreeram

why cn't it be rook to a7#

uhavai

pawan

Pawan Sharma's puzzle : Obviously black is mated in two ways. White king is safe.

azziralc

Interesting puzzle!

Bobcat

The anser to your question is.......
nothing to do with solving the puzzle.
both kings must have had too much to drink.

The black King.Cool

Bobcat

What is question #2 ?

Wink