x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

A Thread About Nothing

there are times to make sure one is grounded. for example, "connecting" oneself to a fiber optic system to work on it. 

then there are those times to make sure you are not. while construction work is menial to some, a simple misstep can be deadly. in regards to electric work for some industrial jobs, near the end there is a person dressed in what looks like an astronaut suit checking breakers. a co-worker is about ten feet away with a large hook to yank the poor astronaut from death in case of an explosion. yes, it looks like a cartoon but it is serious stuff.

my brother in law (an electrician) was severely burned when a panel blew up in front of him. numerous operations. since, due to all the grafts and the effect of the blast, he has quite a difficult time with heat, because much of his body is not porous anymore, and he only sweats in areas where he was not burned. 

for years i saw the general public look down on construction workers as lowly educated individuals. even with all the diy shows and yt clips, are you capable of changing a bad breaker, water heater, condenser, light bulb?!?

years ago, a prominent radio personality described how he had a plumbing problem. he told how it cost him $300 to have a plumber fix it on a sunday. The radio announcer said, "why did he charge me $300? because he can".

you know it or you don't.

sorry for the rant. 

[COMMENT DELETED]

AlCzervik wrote:

there are times to make sure one is grounded. for example, "connecting" oneself to a fiber optic system to work on it. 

then there are those times to make sure you are not. while construction work is menial to some, a simple misstep can be deadly. in regards to electric work for some industrial jobs, near the end there is a person dressed in what looks like an astronaut suit checking breakers. a co-worker is about ten feet away with a large hook to yank the poor astronaut from death in case of an explosion. yes, it looks like a cartoon but it is serious stuff.

my brother in law (an electrician) was severely burned when a panel blew up in front of him. numerous operations. since, due to all the grafts and the effect of the blast, he has quite a difficult time with heat, because much of his body is not porous anymore, and he only sweats in areas where he was not burned. 

for years i saw the general public look down on construction workers as lowly educated individuals. even with all the diy shows and yt clips, are you capable of changing a bad breaker, water heater, condenser, light bulb?!?

years ago, a prominent radio personality described how he had a plumbing problem. he told how it cost him $300 to have a plumber fix it on a sunday. The radio announcer said, "why did he charge me $300? because he can".

you know it or you don't.

sorry for the rant. 

When construction jobs were unionized, those guys (and some gals) made a decent living and could support a family on their wages.  This no longer holds, in most cases.  Unfortunately.

House were (perhaps) built a somewhat better, with better inspection too.

Now the housing market is a wild west show.  You are lucky if you can get builder who isn't in BIG HURRY to complete the project, and the people (on hire) typically independent contractors, whose time on the clock is maniacally monitored.  Big Hurry, Lots of Mistakes, and lots more work (later) to set things right.  Neat trick, don't you think?  Welcome to the new world in which we live.

Unions and Public Inspectors (often times) did a better job.  In my humble opinion.  Electricians, Plumbers, and brick layers used to make much BETTER BUILT houses, and typically they didn't cost a fortune, unlike today.

I hope all is okay with Mexi, he hasn't logged in for six days.

Ya ..was thinking the same thing...maybe just laying in the sun somewhere..

maybe he's shaving. 

sorry man.  i ended up listening more to the birds chirping in the background in your video.  amazing.  don't hear enough of that here.

@AlCzervik Yes, also in the UK construction workers/ engineers and soldiers are not appreciated/ remunerated  for the dangerous jobs they do (from my experience), and of course nurses & carers are also undervalued, white collar on the other hand (don't get me started on bankers & some CEO's wink.png).

Other news: The moderator @Taurusmale67 has resigned (#4360): https://www.chess.com/forum/view/off-topic/the-ultimate-chat-room-part-3-the-real-one?page=218

Well maybe now Macer75 will get his big chance, at long last   lol.

Online Now