Forums

Do you dream in color?

Sort:
zxb995511

I had never given much thought to the fact that I dream in black and white (no pun to chess intended). I literally dream in black and white as if it were an old-fashioned 70's TV. I had heard something along the lines of that only "geniuses" dream in color. So I did some reaserch on the subject and found that it is actually the other way around (to some extent) and that it is actually somewhat rare for people to dream in b\w - something along the lines of a 10-5 % of the world population and that it had absolutely nothing to do with intelegence level, but with how people percieve the world and reality in general. It's a fascinating subject. I recently asked several family members and friends if they dream in color and tallied the results---So far out out of maybe 20 people I asked only me and my father dream in B\W. So I come now to the chess.com comunity and ask the same question- do you dream in black and white or in color? (It would also be interesting if you posted if there are any "unique" perception diferences in the way you dream) Im looking foward to what you all have to say on the subject!

ivandh

Color

zxb995511

Wow you would think it woulden't be such a hassle for people to post a single word to help someone with some reaserch...

ivandh

But if they dream and black and white it is three whole words... some people just don't have that kind of time.

Or, maybe you should wait more than an hour.

zxb995511
ivandh wrote:

But if they dream and black and white it is three whole words... some people just don't have that kind of time.

Or, maybe you should wait more than an hour.

well they could post either "color" or "B\W". Thats pretty consise if you ask me.

ivandh

It was a joke.

rooperi
ivandh wrote:

It was a joke.

No! I wouldn't have guessed.

I dream in 3d

ivandh

Do you need to wear 3d glasses to bed to see the special effects?

cofail

i think it is colour for me.

HyperLucid

Color when in a regular dream

Crystal clear vivid color when lucid

Grey mist when in the void

Often in darkness with poor visibility as when walking around a darkened room

Skwerly

Yea only color here.

DMX21x1

Colour for me, don't think I've ever dreamt in black and white.  Maybe you were a dog in one of your previous lives.  Tongue out

One weird sleep related thing I get is this.

If I'm in a dark room, trying to sleep but not quite there yet.  A sudden noise in the flat above, or from outside, can sometimes register as a flash inside my head as if someone took my picture.  Not only that but it has direction.  This happens simultaneously as I hear the noise. Hearing it and detecting exactly where it came from is one thing but that flash is always right in the direction of where I figured the noise came from.  It's like some sort of sonar.  Or an aneurysm waiting to happen. 

ivandh
DMX21x1 wrote:

Colour for me, don't think I've ever dreamt in black and white. Maybe you were a dog in one of your previous lives.

One weird sleep related thing I get is this.

If I'm in a dark room, trying to sleep but not quite there yet. A sudden noise in the flat above, or from outside, can sometimes register as a flash inside my head as if someone took my picture. Not only that but it has direction. This happens simultaneously as I hear the noise. Hearing it and detecting exactly where it came from is one thing but that flash is always right in the direction of where I figured the noise came from. It's like some sort of sonar. Or an aneurysm waiting to happen.

Sounds like paranormal activity... you should call the ghostbusters.

HyperLucid

DXM21x1, I get that too. That's a sign sleep paralysis is about to come on.. If ya hang in there by remaining conscious yet perfectly still many more weird things will happen... Surprised

zxb995511
Knatted wrote:

DXM21x1, I get that too. That's a sign sleep paralysis is about to come on.. If ya hang in there by remaining conscious yet perfectly still many more weird things will happen...

That has happened to me before its quite scary. I hate sleep paralisis.

FlowerFlowers

I do dream in color, sometimes it is vivid.  I've had dreams that seemed like my vision was an old camera like the beginning of that show the wonder years, and I think this happens when I dream about a place I'd visit as a child.  Sometimes things are foggy or dark and difficult to see.  since playing so much chess recently (after a certain someone insisted I join the site) I've had chess appear in a few dreams which I have to admit I didn't like.  I wonder what that means... maybe it is frustration that I'm not a better player.

zxb995511
FlowerFlowers wrote:

since playing so much chess recently (after a certain someone insisted I join the site) I've had chess appear in a few dreams which I have to admit I didn't like.  I wonder what that means... maybe it is frustration that I'm not a better player.

I think you are on to something with that idea.

FlowerFlowers

has chess ever appeared in your dream?

zxb995511
FlowerFlowers wrote:

No but when you don't like a dream it usually indicates there is some conflict related to the activity that was being done in the dream.

Dr_Ernie
FlowerFlowers wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I actually invented a new variant of chess in a dream.

And yes, I always dream in color.