Forums

Help with ITunes...

Sort:
sjpdna

Hey everybody,

Recently, I went to an all night Youth Lock-In and won a $15 ITunes gift card!  Since I have never used ITunes before, I have a question about putting the songs on a device for my use.

I have heard that the songs on ITunes can only be used on certain devices (such as IPods...).  Is this going to be a problem for me?  I have a Sansa Clip MP3 Player, and am not sure whether the songs I get will be compatible with it. If I cannot use the songs, then I will just trade the card with someone for $15.

I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know... The card would be really useful if I could use it!  Thanks!

NimzoRoy

What format are the songs in? MP3 is a universal format, as is WAV. AAC and other formats are proprietary to Apple devices, but there is software that will convert all sorts of audio formats to other audio formats. BTW what formats will your Sansa Clip handle? Most likely the only problem here is your lack of details and or info...

sjpdna

According to the website, my MP3 will play MP3, WMA, secure WMA and Audible audio file formats.  I do not know what format the ITunes songs are in.

TheScottyTurner

To be honest, I don't think it matter what kind of format it is; iTunes is for iDevices and iDevices only, I think lol. I think the way it works is; if it's not an Apple music player (i.e. an iPod) it won't tranfer the music. Plus, you would need an itunes account if you wanted to redeem the gift card, and signing up does require some sort of credit card number (or a debit card or maybe even the gift card), I just know you need one to sign up even if you don't plan on buying songs. But then again lol, I may be totally wrong. I have an iPod and I use iTunes, but I've never actually registered or bought music from them, so idk. Hope I helped, rather than confused!!Tongue out

ballcontroller2

just use the card on itunes to buy your music then just simply click and drag your music from itunes to your device that you plug in to your computer 

B_Cuzican
ballcontroller2 wrote:

just use the card on itunes to buy your music then just simply click and drag your music from itunes to your device that you plug in to your computer 

Yeah that should work.

sjpdna
B_Cuzican wrote:
ballcontroller2 wrote:

Yeah that should work.

Are you sure it would be "compatible"?  My device is not an Apple device.  In the past, I have gotten some free podcasts (for school) without an account from ITunes, and those play on my device.  When I loaded the podcasts, they transfered to my computer's Windows Media Player, then I put them on the MP3.  Do you think the songs would do the same?  Or would they be different because they are not free?  Like, one is made for everyone, and the other is made just for Apple device owners...

B_Cuzican

If you download iTunes, and set up an account with your gift card. Then your downloaded songs can be transfered on your computer. You just won't be able to sync or manage your player with iTunes. I just recently had basically the same question, because I never had an ipod.

sjpdna

Well, I decided to give it a try.  Turns out that the songs will not go onto my MP3... they are in a wrong format.  I guess I'll have to find someone who knows how to convert them.  Thanks everyone for your input!

jmbrady
sjpdna wrote:

Hey everybody,

Recently, I went to an all night Youth Lock-In and won a $15 ITunes gift card!  Since I have never used ITunes before, I have a question about putting the songs on a device for my use.

I have heard that the songs on ITunes can only be used on certain devices (such as IPods...).  Is this going to be a problem for me?  I have a Sansa Clip MP3 Player, and am not sure whether the songs I get will be compatible with it. If I cannot use the songs, then I will just trade the card with someone for $15.

I would really appreciate it if someone would let me know... The card would be really useful if I could use it!  Thanks!

After you buy a song, If you want to put it on a non-iTunes compatible device, just burn it on to a CD and reload.  It is best if you get an iPod since it is most commonly used, I personally recommend getting the iPod Touch since there are thousands more things you can do on it than other mp3 players.  If you want to know about it, here is a link.  http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/   Many games on it are free and online compatible.  It is pretty much an entire computer in your hand.  Later.

MINECRAFT RULES!!

CREEPERS DROOL!!

B_Cuzican
jmbrady wrote:
sjpdna wrote:

Hey everybody,

After you buy a song, If you want to put it on a non-iTunes compatible device, just burn it on to a CD and reload.  It is best if you get an iPod since it is most commonly used, I personally recommend getting the iPod Touch since there are thousands more things you can do on it than other mp3 players.  If you want to know about it, here is a link.  http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/   Many games on it are free and online compatible.  It is pretty much an entire computer in your hand.  Later.

MINECRAFT RULES!!

CREEPERS DROOL!!

Hmmm.....sounds plausible. Sorry my advice was bad, I was just passing on what I was told :(.

sjpdna

@jmbrady:  thanks, I have already recieved the same advice from elsewhere, but have not had the chance to try it yet.

@B_Cuzican:  It's alright.  I probably would have tried it regardless.  From what I have been hearing, it's not too hard to make the transfer.

jmbrady
sjpdna wrote:

According to the website, my MP3 will play MP3, WMA, secure WMA and Audible audio file formats.  I do not know what format the ITunes songs are in.

All songs bought in iTunes are .aac encoded witch requires an Apple Liscensed software to read.

MINECRAFT RULES!!