Forums

How much is your beer?

Sort:
Vivinski
cabadenwurt wrote:

Well it seems that all of the Beer drinkers here have switched over to Coffee ( Irish Coffee ) or perhaps even to Wine. I got the chance to sample another interesting import today called Stella Artois. The recipe for this brew dates back to 1366 AD and creates a very good Beer ( from Belgium ).

Stella is just pils, I only drink pils, but I wouldn't buy expensive ones.

cabadenwurt

Nice to see some posts here again. Stella Artois is labelled as a Premium Lager but it does taste a lot like a Pilsner. Page 3 of this thread has a photo of a bottle of my favourite local Pilsner ( a nice picture posted by The Grobe ). Smile   

jojofan85

How much is my beer?...

Too much.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info Steinar. Does Heineken also have a Brewery in Norway ? Are there any local Brewers with a more reasonable price ?

bjazz
Steinar wrote:

I think Norway must be one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to this. I pay 25-30 NOK for 0.5l of "regular" beer, e.g. Heineken.

Say, NOK 26 = $4,50 for 0.5l = 17 oz, giving us a hefty rate of .265 USD/oz, roughly.

Anyone more expensive? Even close? :-(

Not even close. I moved to Alta a couple of months ago, and as a finn, I find the beer prices tormenting. Then again the cigarette prices are even worse, so hey... Double the bum.

cabadenwurt

I recently watched a video about a Ship that belonged to Finland and the Beer that they were serving onboard that vessel was Karjala. Does anyone know anything about that Beer ?

kco

The sharks drank it.

TheGrobe

Well, it was Finnish....

kco

well they definitly need it in oder to survive.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the replies. I don't know if they export any Beer from Finland and so I was just wondering if anyone has had the chance to try it. I'm in a rural area these days and the number of imports is somewhat limited here.

cabadenwurt

A few months ago I mentioned ( in one thread or another in these forums ) that a new Liquor Store was being built in a larger neighbouring town. The new shop is now in operation and I've had a chance to stop by there and buy a few items. Since it is part of a local Co-operative Association I will get some dividens back. Also I noticed that they are selling some Beer under the Co-op label which is interesting. The bottles are labelled as being brewed in Calgary Alberta but must be produced by a outside Brewery for the Co-op stores. One nice brew that I found there was a case of 6 bottles ( 341 ml each ) of Co-op Classic Premium Ale at $7.90.    

TheGrobe

Co-op liquor stores have by far the best beer selection around here. Only one small independent shop (Zyn) here in Calgary comes close. Take some time to explore the single bottles.

ivandh

I'm back in PA where they have some weird laws regarding beer purchase. For the most part you have to get it from a distributor by the case, although there are some places that can sell six-packs. By-the-bottle is even more rare, an unfortunate thing for the adventurous type. Is it an American thing, or do all lawmakers love to think up crazy rules for alcohol?

Interestingly in the DC area there are almost no rules, and they also have the most breweries per capita of any U.S. state or territory.

AlCzervik

The different rules for different states is odd. I remember going to Indiana a few years ago and liquor was not sold in stores on Sundays-state law. It didn't make any sense until someone explained that the bars, stadiums, golf courses, etc. "helped" the law get passed.

bjazz
cabadenwurt wrote:

I recently watched a video about a Ship that belonged to Finland and the Beer that they were serving onboard that vessel was Karjala. Does anyone know anything about that Beer ?

Karjala, along with Koff, Karhu and Olvi are basic finnish lagers. Very mild in taste and don´t offer much to any beer-afficionado. In Finland they cost around 0.9 - 1.2 euros a bottle (0,33l).

cabadenwurt

Pilsner-Urquell is a new item that I have discovered at our Co-op store ( $ 2.55 for a 500 ml can ). This brew comes from the city of Plzen in the Czech Republic but going back to the days of Austrian rule this area was known as Pilsen. Beer drinkers are assured that this is the original Pilsner from Pilsen and I must say it is not bad. 

Metastable

Sorry for the thread necro, but I thought I should give props for this one to the Canucks in the crowd - the Shawinigan Handshake - it's actually not a bad bottle at all! Had to pick it up when I saw it :-)

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04/11/brewery-bottles-jean-chretiens-shawinigan-handshake/

cabadenwurt

Well we are in the New Year now and I've just had the chance to try a very nice  imported Lager called Golden Pheasant ( from Slovakia ).

goldendog

Good name for a brew.

cabadenwurt
goldendog wrote:

Good name for a brew.

--- Yes indeed, a good name for a rather good brew  lol.