Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
loki67

leon with jean reno.directed by luc besson and featuring natilie portman,gary oldman.

corrijean

Sunshine Cleaners was pretty good.

I liked The Misfits a lot, too. The one with Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable.

winerkleiner
fiac wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

Can anyone recommend a movie about a nuclear disaster (end of the world and starting over) sort of a movie?  Thanks in advance.

I've mentioned it before but Therads(1984) is good and kind of in this vein. Most of it takes place pre- and during the nuclear disaster but there is a bit after. Its a real downer though.

Thanks I will try to On Demand that tonight along with the others!

trysts
LisaV wrote:

I know I mentioned Sin Nombre (2009) before.  Don't want to build it up too much, but the female lead plays a scene with about 30 seconds of acting that nearly all Hollywood actors/actresses can't touch.  Amazing moment.

Ugh, there's a trailer on youtube, but the trailer *sucks*.  Don't watch the trailer!  It's Hollywood-ified.  Just find the movie.  :)

The youtube comments were either "Great movie!" or "Yep, this is exactly what urban life in Central America is like."  Just find the movie.  :) 

Thanks for the recommendation, LisaV!

trysts
winerkleiner wrote:

Can I give a shout out to the "Halloween" franchise?  Been scared for thirty year on those.

I saw the first one. I think I was scared.

trysts
Mithras wrote:
Crazychessplaya wrote:

Just stay away from The Postman, a waste of celluloid.

Not to be confused with Il Postino , which i thought was OK

"Il Postino"(1994) was good, yes.

trysts
Mithras wrote:

For those who dont mind reading their movies:

Nikita

Cyrano de Bergarac , one of the few films to bring tears to my eyes

La Vita e bella (Life is Beautiful) , the last film I cried while watching

I haven't watched those films. Thanks!

trysts
CrecyWar wrote:

There is an old movie you never saw released in 1958, I think. It was titled "Cry Terror".  I was a young kid and a few of the last scenes were filmed on my block. It was where a car drove up a hill and made a left turn-you could see my house in the movie and my friends dads junk truck. Now the house at the end of the block was where a kidnap victim was held in the movie. I knew the people that really lived there, Mr & Mrs Pena. Nice folks. Sometimes when a I walked by after school I would wait looking through their fence, then Mrs Pena would see me like I was some kind of lost puppy then she brought out cookies and milk.

Ah , the good ol' days.

I like James Mason. Thanks!

trysts
loki67 wrote:

leon with jean reno.directed by luc besson and featuring natilie portman,gary oldman.

Did you like it? I never heard of it.

trysts
corrijean wrote:

Sunshine Cleaners was pretty good.

Never heard of it. Thanks!

theoreticalboy
trysts wrote:
Mithras wrote:

For those who dont mind reading their movies:

Nikita

Cyrano de Bergarac , one of the few films to bring tears to my eyes

La Vita e bella (Life is Beautiful) , the last film I cried while watching

I haven't watched those films. Thanks!

Considering your position on Schlinder's List, I'm not sure you'll like La vita e bella (I'm not a fan myself, but that's mostly because I don't think it's funny.  Now, throw Groucho in there, and then you've got a film!)

And of course Mithras means the excellent French original La femme Nikita, rather than Nikita, the shoddy, clumsy American remake Wink

winerkleiner

Thought the theme (song), story line, acting in "Summer of '42" was pretty good, and that island and beach was amazing.  

trysts
theoreticalboy wrote:

Considering your position on Schlinder's List, I'm not sure you'll like La vita e bella (I'm not a fan myself, but that's mostly because I don't think it's funny.  Now, throw Groucho in there, and then you've got a film!)

And of course Mithras means the excellent French original La femme Nikita, rather than Nikita, the shoddy, clumsy American remake

Thanks!Laughing

trysts
winerkleiner wrote:

Thought the theme (song), story line, acting in "Summer of '42" was pretty good, and that island and beach was amazing.  

I read the description of that film, and I'm a little fearful of itLaughing

trysts
LisaV wrote:
trysts wrote:
loki67 wrote:

Did you like it? I never heard of it.

Oh yeah, I remember that one.  I liked it.  You might find it as, Leon: The Professional (1994) or The Professional, or Leon. ???

Anyway, Natalie Portman did a good job keeping up with Jean Reno and Gary Oldman.  Jean Reno is the main focus, and he carries the movie really well.  If I recall correctly, the movie was warm without sentimentality or sappiness.

Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness were able to pull off shitty dialogue in the Star Wars films, but Natalie Portman, a decent actress, looked like an oak tree.  I guess it's Star Wars now in place of Hamlet that's the arbiter of how good an actor/actress you are.  lol

I remember "The Professional"! I just remember fragments of that film. Thanks for the clarificationWink

trysts

"All my Sons"(1948)

I was very surprised by this film, which I expected to not like. I only watched it for Edward G. Robinson and Burt Lancaster. But, it grabbed me. Quite a good mystery throughout, and excellent performances!Smile

KeViN246

any movie starring or directed by clint eastwood except for the bridge movie and the old astonauts. those sucked

million dollar baby, excellent film 

winerkleiner
trysts wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

I read the description of that film, and I'm a little fearful of it

I thought everyone has seen that movie, you are the second person I've "met" online that hasn't.  Don't fear the island, it's a "coming of age" movie and will do no harm.  Smile

trysts
KeViN246 wrote:

any movie starring or directed by clint eastwood except for the bridge movie and the old astonauts. those sucked

million dollar baby, excellent film 

I liked "The Bridges of Madison County"(1995)Smile

trysts
winerkleiner wrote:

I thought everyone has seen that movie, you are the second person I've "met" online that hasn't.  Don't fear the island, it's a "coming of age" movie and will do no harm. 

OkayLaughing

This forum topic has been locked