Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
trysts
jesterville wrote:

...you have an interesting taste in movies "trysts"...I too am a movie lover...and a collector as well...I started reading these posts, but too busy currently to finish...when I have more time I will continue, and contribute as well.

All the Best.

I hope so! I'll hold you to itSmile

trysts
Shahmata64 wrote:

..seems "Close Encounters of the third kind"...full movie...full length seems even to be posted on YOUTUBE, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMAob02Ro6I&feature=related

...so, for those who never saw it yet

Thanks for the link, Shahmata!

MIDYMAT

Just watched Dr.Strangelove for the millionth time....PeterSellers is a genius.....

trysts
MIDYMAT wrote:

Just watched Dr.Strangelove for the millionth time....PeterSellers is a genius.....

So is George C Scott, Sterling Hayden, and Slim Pickens! What a great film!

jac

All About Eve...ratatat dialogue and the Best Bette Davis..just watched North By Northwest..Hitchcock and Cary Grant...hmmm dusting crops where there are no crops

trysts
jac wrote:

All About Eve...ratatat dialogue and the Best Bette Davis..just watched North By Northwest..Hitchcock and Cary Grant...hmmm dusting crops where there are no crops

Two wonderful choices!

HessianWarrior

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Tuco(Eli Wallach) is worth every second he is on the screen.

corrijean
HessianWarrior wrote:

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Tuco(Eli Wallach) is worth every second he is on the screen.

I second that. Great movie.

trysts
LisaV wrote:
trysts wrote:
LisaV wrote:

Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - William Holden again and Sir Alec Guinness.

Just...superb.

It's probably just me, but I never understood that film. Why was Alec Guinness so against sabatoge? It seemed like it was more important to him to remain "British", than to fight against oppression?

The way I interpreted it is that Sir Alec's character was at the end of his career and wanted to leave something of impeccable quality for years after the war.  And he was proud that it was the British who constructed the bridge.  There's a scene near the end of the movie on the finished bridge with him lamenting the destructiveness of his career in war to the Japanese general that clues you into his mindset.

He'd invested so much in the bridge that he lost sight he was still in a war and the bridge had to fail.

So, it was right of me to be frustrated with the character, because he was wrong? He was delusional?

theoreticalboy
trysts wrote:

Taste of Cherry(1997)

This film is sooo good! You don't want to read about it. Just get the film and don't stop it in the middle or something. It really is worth the 90 minutes to watch it all the way through, without knowing a thing about it. Abbas Kiarostami is a genius

You won't say that when you watch Certified Copy.

trysts

Thanks a lot for sharing your views on that film, LisaV! It's not like one gets to talk about the characters in older films as often as I would like. Smile

In post #103, I really liked "The Thin Red Line". It had this mood about it that seemed almost hypnotizing. I never saw "This boy's life". Thanks!

trysts
theoreticalboy wrote:
trysts wrote:

Taste of Cherry(1997)

This film is sooo good! You don't want to read about it. Just get the film and don't stop it in the middle or something. It really is worth the 90 minutes to watch it all the way through, without knowing a thing about it. Abbas Kiarostami is a genius

You won't say that when you watch Certified Copy.

I loved "Taste of Cherry", but thanks for the warning, theoreticalboy!

theoreticalboy

I remember loving one Kiarostami film, thinking his first was kind of cute, but hating Ten.  And then, there's the aforementioned, which is the latest word in bourgeois, self-involved drivel.  Funnily, the last film I saw which I would have said the same also featured the otherwise great Juliette Binoche; Summer Hours.  The characterisations in that were nothing short of laughable.

Certified Copy also distinguishes itself for fronting one of the least original, entirely non-comittal theories of art in existence.

Last film I saw was Les rendevous d'Anna, I think.  Chantal Akerman; now there's a real filmmaker, and the fleeting, ultimately doomed attempts at interpersonal connection in that film were so much more edifying than the long-form self-absorption of the Kiarostami effort.

trysts

Never saw "...d'Anna". Thanks! And, just like everyone who reads this thread, feel free to write a little something here whenever you wish! I enjoy film so much, that I really appreciate people informing me about the good ones, and the ones to avoidSmile

pdela

Mystic River

So good.

Well directed.

Brilliant cast performance.

Good peace, good tone, screenplay without tricks...

Nice finished (though rasping)

Eastwood at his best

Crazychessplaya
pdela wrote:

Mystic River

So good.

Well directed.

Brilliant cast performance.

Good peace, good tone, screenplay without tricks...

Nice finished (though rasping)

Eastwood at his best

Eastwood didn't play in Mystic River, Sean Penn did. Possible mixup with Gran Torino or Bridges of Madison County?

pdela

He directed the film

Crazychessplaya

Ah, yes. Now where is my facepalm picture...

fiac
trysts wrote:

Big trouble in little China(1986). I was forced to watch this. I thought it was cute. Nothing more.

Kurt Russell is king! A square headed king!

Ahem. Some of my favourites:

Koyaanisqatsi(1982). Words cannot discribe how beautiful this movie is, also it's a pyschadelic drug.

Disney's Robin hood(1973). One of my childhood favourites that still stands up as a brilliant movie. Great music, great animation, great voice acting, just great all round.

The Road(2009). If you ever feel like spiraling down into a pit of abismal depression watch this movie. I loved it but I only watched it once.

Evil dead 2(1987). Awsome!!!! 'nuf said.

Monty python and the holy grail(1974). Non-stop hilarity from start to finish.

Event horizon(1997). One of the few horror movies I've seen and enjoyed. Quite disturbing.

Threads(1984). England if it was nuked. Very good but also depressing.

Rambo IV(2008). Probably wouldn't appeal to those lacking in testosterone but I loved it. The only time when I've been in the cinema and people have started clapping after the film.

Aqua teen hunger force colon movie film for theaters(2007). Drug use is advised to accompany this movie. Very funny but makes little sense.

P.s Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, as you can probably tell I haven't watched many classics.

Crazychessplaya
fiac wrote:Event horizon(1997). One of the few horror movies I've seen and enjoyed. Quite disturbing.

+1

This forum topic has been locked