Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
trysts

Can your friend sue them?

corrijean

I don't know if he could have or not. He didn't, and it is probably too late now since that was quite a few years ago.

trysts
Bodhiwan wrote:

Yay, a movie thread! :) Here's a couple of my all time favorites, although I could add many more to that list.

Der Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire) Just plain beauty...

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Blade Runner

Le Grand Bleu (The Big Blue) pretty cheesy but I'm an old diver and it really spoke to me

The Shawshank Redemption

The Matrix

O Brother Where Art Thou

The Abyss

Lord of the Rings

Star Wars (the first 3 made)

And... Dr Strangelove, Das Boot, Gladiator, most Monty Python movies, Snatch, The Big Lebowski, Million Dollar Baby, Twelve Monkeys, The Princess Bride, Magnolia, Schindler's List, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Goodfellas, Leon, American Beauty, Terminator 2, Pineapple Express (probably only funny for weedheads), the Alien movies, The Pianist, Shine, Fargo, Donnie Darko, Gandhi, El Laberinto del Fauno, The Illusionist, Fight Club, American History X, Transformers 1 and 3 (I'm a geek, waddaya expect?), The Last Of The Mohicans, Sex, Lies and Videotape, Being There, The Piano.

Recently watched Warrior too, great movie

I like a lot of your choices quite well!

trysts
nameno1had wrote:
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I think the problem in our mind sets differing has everything to do with our respective opinions of "the rich history of ideas". Before this turns into anymore of a disagreement, lets just say I am willing to agree to disagree and move on.

I am not easily amused.

I take it that you don't read literature, history, or philosophy, if you think all the compelling stories have been used up then?

I actually enjoy understanding history. With this knowledge, I have discovered it tends to have some degree of repetition. There is some fiction I find appealing, but much of it I don't. I don't care for much of philosophy. If I don't agree with it, why try to enjoy story lines that are based on something I think is foolishness to begin with?

I tend to think there isn't much new under the sun. I realize new things are being discovered daily, but in reality, they are old things that are just now being discovered.

If you try to put a new paint job on an old car, it might look better than it did before the paint job, but not as good as it did when the car itself was new.

I don't care much for things I can figure out in the first few minutes. It ruins it for me. If it's based on history and a compelling story, I can overlook it as part of the learning experience.

If I sound like a dried up old prune...join the club...

You should watch, "A Separation". In the right hands, everyday life is filled with compelling stories.

Bodhiwan
trysts wrote:
Bodhiwan wrote:

Yay, a movie thread! :) Here's a couple of my all time favorites, although I could add many more to that list.

Der Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire) Just plain beauty...

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Blade Runner

Le Grand Bleu (The Big Blue) pretty cheesy but I'm an old diver and it really spoke to me

The Shawshank Redemption

The Matrix

O Brother Where Art Thou

The Abyss

Lord of the Rings

Star Wars (the first 3 made)

And... Dr Strangelove, Das Boot, Gladiator, most Monty Python movies, Snatch, The Big Lebowski, Million Dollar Baby, Twelve Monkeys, The Princess Bride, Magnolia, Schindler's List, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Goodfellas, Leon, American Beauty, Terminator 2, Pineapple Express (probably only funny for weedheads), the Alien movies, The Pianist, Shine, Fargo, Donnie Darko, Gandhi, El Laberinto del Fauno, The Illusionist, Fight Club, American History X, Transformers 1 and 3 (I'm a geek, waddaya expect?), The Last Of The Mohicans, Sex, Lies and Videotape, Being There, The Piano.

Recently watched Warrior too, great movie

I like a lot of your choices quite well!

Cool, I could add hundreds to that list.... Really a movie buff. Is that the right word, "buff"? Sounds like someone who spend too much time at a gym Laughing (non native English here).

If you haven't seen it, I would strongly recommend Der Himmel über Berlin.

I've been reading quite a bit in this thread and there are some interesting discussions. There seems to be a strong opinion against mainstream Hollywood productions and although I can perfectly understand why, I'm a bit divided on the topic, as the way I see it a movie can be so many different things. I can watch a movie like Transformers 1 and really enjoy it because it's just such a ride. It's full of cliches, but some cliches I'm ok with. They become like stories you don't mind hearing again. Then there are of course many that I would pay twice the ticket price just to never hear again. Or at least not for another 10 years. US army saving the world, the universe, humanity and a kitten on the way being one of them, although I enjoyed Battle Los Angeles despite its plethora of the above. Avatar was another cliche-ridden movie that really got to me. What can I say? I like sci-fi and I like blue Smile

The one movie I ever walked out on, after 15 minutes only, was Star Wars The Phantom Menace. Dear god... Watching Liam Neeson in such a farse was painful and Jar Jar Binks I would prefer to have shot on sight. Mi sa... BAM! No more rendering for you, you dirty polygon actor piece of bad writing/drawing/modeling/spawn of Lucas worst moments.

Howard the Duck was mentioned earlier as a disaster. I actually kinda liked that one, but I was very young, I think, and probably stoned. Point being, even though I would say that I normally have rather high demands for a movie in terms of script, originality and cinematography can still watch what I know is garbage and enjoy it. Go figure. And I don't even like McDonalds. There are of course a great deal of mainstream stuff that I couldn't bare 10 minutes of, like Twilight, that I tried to watch as I like vampire stuff (or used to, it's been done to death now). That was about as painful as I can imagine Chinese water torture to be. How that movie ended up at the top of the lists is completely beyond me.

By the way, I watched the Phoenix Lights documentary, fascinating indeed. I agree on the cheesy production, but felt there were enough interview material to forget about it. Good tip!

nameno1had
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

I think the problem in our mind sets differing has everything to do with our respective opinions of "the rich history of ideas". Before this turns into anymore of a disagreement, lets just say I am willing to agree to disagree and move on.

I am not easily amused.

I take it that you don't read literature, history, or philosophy, if you think all the compelling stories have been used up then?

I actually enjoy understanding history. With this knowledge, I have discovered it tends to have some degree of repetition. There is some fiction I find appealing, but much of it I don't. I don't care for much of philosophy. If I don't agree with it, why try to enjoy story lines that are based on something I think is foolishness to begin with?

I tend to think there isn't much new under the sun. I realize new things are being discovered daily, but in reality, they are old things that are just now being discovered.

If you try to put a new paint job on an old car, it might look better than it did before the paint job, but not as good as it did when the car itself was new.

I don't care much for things I can figure out in the first few minutes. It ruins it for me. If it's based on history and a compelling story, I can overlook it as part of the learning experience.

If I sound like a dried up old prune...join the club...

You should watch, "A Separation". In the right hands, everyday life is filled with compelling stories.

I am willing to give it a glimpse or two. Where can I find it? What is it?

trysts
nameno1had wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832382/

trysts
Bodhiwan wrote:

Cool, I could add hundreds to that list.... Really a movie buff. Is that the right word, "buff"? Sounds like someone who spend too much time at a gym (non native English here).

If you haven't seen it, I would strongly recommend Der Himmel über Berlin.

I've been reading quite a bit in this thread and there are some interesting discussions. There seems to be a strong opinion against mainstream Hollywood productions and although I can perfectly understand why, I'm a bit divided on the topic, as the way I see it a movie can be so many different things. I can watch a movie like Transformers 1 and really enjoy it because it's just such a ride. It's full of cliches, but some cliches I'm ok with. They become like stories you don't mind hearing again. Then there are of course many that I would pay twice the ticket price just to never hear again. Or at least not for another 10 years. US army saving the world, the universe, humanity and a kitten on the way being one of them, although I enjoyed Battle Los Angeles despite its plethora of the above. Avatar was another cliche-ridden movie that really got to me. What can I say? I like sci-fi and I like blue

The one movie I ever walked out on, after 15 minutes only, was Star Wars The Phantom Menace. Dear god... Watching Liam Neeson in such a farse was painful and Jar Jar Binks I would prefer to have shot on sight. Mi sa... BAM! No more rendering for you, you dirty polygon actor piece of bad writing/drawing/modeling/spawn of Lucas worst moments.

Howard the Duck was mentioned earlier as a disaster. I actually kinda liked that one, but I was very young, I think, and probably stoned. Point being, even though I would say that I normally have rather high demands for a movie in terms of script, originality and cinematography can still watch what I know is garbage and enjoy it. Go figure. And I don't even like McDonalds. There are of course a great deal of mainstream stuff that I couldn't bare 10 minutes of, like Twilight, that I tried to watch as I like vampire stuff (or used to, it's been done to death now). That was about as painful as I can imagine Chinese water torture to be. How that movie ended up at the top of the lists is completely beyond me.

By the way, I watched the Phoenix Lights documentary, fascinating indeed. I agree on the cheesy production, but felt there were enough interview material to forget about it. Good tip!

Thank you for the movie recommendation of "Der Himmel uber Berlin"!Smile

nameno1had
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Thanks....

trysts
nameno1had wrote:
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Thanks....

It's truly a great film. EnjoyWink

nameno1had
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:
trysts wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Thanks....

It's truly a great film. Enjoy

I checked out the ad for the movie. I hope it isn't subtitled, if so I'll have to watch alone. I watched another really good foreign film about a muslim woman who's husband wanted another wife  and could only afford one. He tried everything "within the law" to get her to leave, she wouldn't go. He got a local magistrate and some witnesses to lie and say she commited adultry. She was stoned to death by her community.Her own father tried throwing stones at her. The stoning prompted an international outrage for the equal treatment of women in muslim countries. I don't know the name of it.I'll try to find it.

corrijean

A Separation is sub titled. It's well worth the trouble to watch, though.

nameno1had
corrijean wrote:

A Separation is sub titled. It's well worth the trouble to watch, though.

Thanks for the tip, i will probably still watch it....

trysts

Bloody Sunday (2002)

On January 30th, 1972, a protest turned to a massacre in Northern Ireland. This film is very effective at giving one a sense of what many protests around the world today have become. It's done in a documentary-style. The event is famous, yet I've read very little about that time. It's a very good film! 

electricpawn

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

David Bowie is an alien who comes to Earth from a planet suffering a catastrophic drought. He uses his knoweledge of alien technology to found a company and becomes fabulously wealthy. His desire is to find a way to transport water back to his planet, but just as he is about to leave he is detained by the government. He has a girlfriend who introduces him to human sexual acts and alcohol. By the end of the movie he is a broken man.

Bowie's performance in this movie is very good. He's credible as an alien, yet he is innocent and human and later corupt throuh experience and even more human. I saw this movie when I was 15, and never having seen the technique before, I was struck by the rapid editing.

mrguy888

You don't notice subtitles after a while. They are really not bad at all.

corrijean

Actually, I turn subtitles on for most movies I watch, regardless of whether or not it's in English. Not sure how I got in that habit, but now I'm accustomed to it.

kco
corrijean wrote:

Actually, I turn subtitles on for most movies I watch, regardless of whether or not it's in English. Not sure how I got in that habit, but now I'm accustomed to it.

loved the subtitles even my kids use it.

trysts

We have 87,300 views for this thread! 

nameno1had
corrijean wrote:

Its good if you miss little things, as I do sometimes. I get frustrated when I have to rewind three times and I am still not sure what they said, unless I blast it.

This forum topic has been locked