Forums

Old TV Shows

Sort:
AndyClifton

SquareDealer

I remember an episode of One Step Beyond that gives me chills to this day.

Some folks were buying or looking at a house. The lady showing the house shared with them that in fact the house was haunted. Then she faded away. 

AndyClifton

The one I remember from way back when was the plane crashing into the house.  Then I saw it again many years later and was pretty disappointed.  I'd thought it was like a 707 (lol)...it turned out to just be some little Cessna, with about $25 worth of plaster falling everywhere.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the updates. In my case we didn't have a working TV set until 1964. I have seen some older TV shows on Videos ( such as Groucho's " You Bet Your Life " ) but I missed a most of the earlier stuff. Mind you prior to 1960 I was still living in the Black Forest, totally different program schedule there  lol.  

Javan64

The Black Forest is a darned sight better than the Hurtgen Forest, late 1944.

AndyClifton

Or the Berlin Forest...

AndyClifton

Hey, here's a pretty fun show (and there are quite a few episodes of it posted on YT):

(Also featuring one of the alltime great titles sequences...with music by "Johnny" Williams!  There are absolutely amazing casts in virtually every episode.  The one I'm gonna watch next has Aldo Ray, Clu Gulager, Tina Louise, Ellen Burstyn and Whit Bissell...and was co-written by John D MacDonald! lol)

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. With the topic of forests coming up I was reminded of a good after School show from the mid-60s with Robin Hood of Scherwood Forest, the Star of the series might have been Richard Todd ?

Javan64

IIRC, the themesong went something like,

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the glen

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men

Feared by the bad, loved by the good,

Robin Hood, Robin Hood...

Yup, great show.  You may remember that Richard Todd also played in "The Longest Day."  Interestingly, he was actually a D-Day veteran.

1pawndown

The show we raced home from school to watch was "Dark Shadows." ( pre- Johnny Depp of course) 

SquareDealer

Clutch Cargo and Candid Camera (with Allan Funt)

Javan64

Loved Clutch Cargo; hated Candid Camera!

AndyClifton

Hey, now you're speaking my language...I can even name all these people (characters and actors)...

cabadenwurt

Thanks for all of the recent posts, some good info there.

For the Game show fans out there, we have lost one of the old-timers from that area. Richard Dawson the long time host of Family Feud has passed away at age 79. Of course for those of us who love the Comedy programs we first saw him on Hogan's Heroes.    

Javan64

"Hogan!  The cooler!"  And now there's just one left from Hogan's Heros IIRC:  Robert Clary (aka "cockroach").  One of our favorite shows of all time...both Werner Klemperer (Col Klink) and John Banner (Sgt. Schulz) were Jews -- what wonderful irony!

AndyClifton

And both Banner and Clary were actually involved in that whole WWII business.

cabadenwurt

Also Otto Klemperer ( Werner's Dad ) was a very well known Orchestra Conductor.

cabadenwurt

I recently picked up a DVD on a Comedy show that has been mentioned before in this thread. It has been off the air for a couple of years but is still considered one of the best Comedies of all-time. By saying that the lead character of the show was called Jerry we know of course that it was " Seinfeld ". The DVD that I have covers the 5 episodes of the 1st season and one can see that they were on the right track from the beginning.

cabadenwurt

One thing that most of us do not like to hear is sad news about stars that were on our favourite TV shows. A series that I enjoyed very much was Happy Days. Erin Moran grew up in front of our eyes on that show playing the part of Richie Cunningham's little sister. She also did a bit more work on TV for a couple of years after Happy Days went off the air but then left center-stage. It seems however that recent years have created financial difficulties for Erin Moran and she is now reported to be living in a Trailer park with few prospects.

1pawndown

Sorry to hear about Richard Dawson and Erin Moran, but I loved the cast photo from "Dark Shadows." Made me remember "Quentin's Theme." I haven't heard that in decades!