Forums

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones or who ? ( or even the Who ? )

Sort:
Javan64

Of course we all know what the boys in the band Lynyrd Skynyrd think of Neil Young (from Sweet Home Alabama)...

Well, I heard Mr. Young sing about her
Well, I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

electricpawn

Actually, Neil's song Sedan Delivery was written for Lynyrd Skynyrd. They had plans to record it when they had their accident. The animosity between them was all hype.

AndyClifton
electricpawn wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

You mean Miami Steve Van Zandt?

Yes! Have you seen them live? Incredible!

Yep, way back in '85.

HessianWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbk_dQ8Mhg

A great song and huge guitars by a band that isn't on the radar. The Outlaws. 

froghollow
HessianWarrior wrote:

John Lennon said "Before Elvis there was nothing."

You certainly know a lot about  " John Lennon "  SPOT ON !Cool

HessianWarrior

Another ass kicking song by the Outlaws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFjqlx8eSfQ

HessianWarrior
IMDeviate wrote:
cabadenwurt wrote:

Thanks again for all of the recent posts. Earlier today I heard the good news that the surviving members of The Beach Boys are getting together for a reunion tour ( to celebtate 50 years since they started their group ). A new album is to be released as well. So " Let's Go On A Surfing Safari " --- ( We can take our Old Woodie Wagon  lol ).    

Beach Boys are not ROCK.

No they were Surf and Cars. But It sounded good and they sold a hell of a lot of records. By the way most of the Beatles songs weren't Rock, it sounded good and they sold a hell of a lot of records.

AndyClifton
HessianWarrior wrote:

A great song and huge guitars by a band that isn't on the radar. The Outlaws. 

They're sure as hell on my radar.  There was a guy in my college dorm way back when who used to blast that song all the time.  His name (believe it or not) was Max Lange. Smile

cabadenwurt

Nice to see more posts here again, Thanks Everyone. Well I'm definitely a fan of the Beach Boys and they certainly had their own style, due in large part to the Songwriting of Brian Wilson. And when they do a lively song like " Surfin Safari " they have a very nice sound ( not that different from some of the 1950's Rock & Roll ). Another favourite of mine that may be a bit hard to classify is Fats Domino. He seems to play as sort of mixture of New Orleans Jazz and also Blues that is very nice to listen to ( eg: I'm Walking To New Orleans ). I've seen him on TV with his group and he had at least 3 Saxophone players and each Sax was a different size, made for a very nice sound.   

HessianWarrior

Here is a little known Rock Cover of a great song by the Animals, "House of the Rising Sun" by Frijid Pink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40INnb6DnY

AndyClifton

lol...I actually had an album by Frijid Pink.  Or really I should say I had the record with the sleeve (the cover had apparently been shed long before).

AndyClifton
cabadenwurt wrote:

I'm definitely a fan of the Beach Boys and they certainly had their own style, due in large part to the Songwriting of Brian Wilson. And when they do a lively song like " Surfin Safari " they have a very nice sound ( not that different from some of the 1950's Rock & Roll ). 

It was close enough for them to get sued by Chuck Berry. Wink

HessianWarrior
AndyClifton wrote:

lol...I actually had an album by Frijid Pink.  Or really I should say I had the record with the sleeve (the cover had apparently been shed long before).

I remember hearing that cover on the radio a couple of times in the early 70's and then it disappeared. Way to go youtube.

corwin69

Beatles = Kasparov

Stones = Gelfand

AndyClifton

Syd Barrett = Ivanchuk

Cystem_Phailure

The Frijid Pink cover has always been a favorite of mine, and I've posted that link a couple times myself somewhere or other in these forums.  I've also heard the Frijid Pink version in a couple movies or television backgrounds-- most recently when I watched the Brit series White Teeth (produced in 2002) just a couple weeks ago, and their cover is being played at a party in one of the episodes.

I haven't yet followed either link that was given for the Outlaws a few posts back, but I'm just assuming one of them must be for Green Grass and High Tides. Cool

HessianWarrior
Cystem_Phailure wrote:

The Frijid Pink cover has always been a favorite of mine, and I've posted that link a couple times myself somewhere or other in these forums.  I've also heard the Frijid Pink version in a couple movies or television backgrounds-- most recently when I watched the Brit series White Teeth (produced in 2002) just a couple weeks ago, and their cover is being played at a party in one of the episodes.

I haven't yet followed either link that was given for the Outlaws a few posts back, but I'm just assuming one of them must be for Green Grass and High Tides. 

Yeah Green Grass and High Tides and Ghost Riders in the Sky. Glad to hear Frijid Pink isn't dead.

HessianWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3btVhwr48

Great sounds, lyrics, and guitar by Dire Straits-Telegraph Road.

Javan64

Does anyone remember Mungo Jerry?

HessianWarrior
Javan64 wrote:

Does anyone remember Mungo Jerry?

Never knew about him in the first place.