Forums

Would you rather be LIKED or RESPECTED?

Sort:
add-Inactive
whats the piont of being respected if your not liked.So i would say i would like to be liked.
RN9
I would rather be respected. Respect = power and power = succes.
redwallover2
You must be respected to be liked. I cannot like someone that I do not respect.
ferlop

goes around comes around

respect + love = love + respect

i like my selfe

kaspariano

you can respect and like somebody, but you can also like somebody and respect does not nessesarly has to be part of the picture, I would say that when you correctely develop respect for somebody the feeling of you linking that somone becomes part of the picture

ex: I like boxers because of their fighting spirits, that does not mean that I respect all of them, respecting is something that goes way beyond just liking

ex: I like beautiful and sensual females because I just do, that does not mean that I like and respect all of them

respect is a very complicated issue to handle correctely, I have a question to ilustrate how complex this issue might be

let's say Eddy Murphy was not married

do you think that Eddy Murphy would preffer to be respected by his girlfriend because of his great artistic career or do you think he would rather be with somone who didn't care about his proffesional life at all?

... actually, Eddy kind of ilustrates the issue of respecting vs liking in his movie coming to America

the following is a another movie that illustrates how complex the issue is, for example in this following movie the character played by De Niro likes the character played by Chazz Palminteri, but he does not nessesarly respect all aspects of his life

steveda

Like nd respect are not necessarily connected... I respect Madonna for her talent and her acumen as a businesswoman.  I don't necessarilty like her on a personal basis.  I like Jimmy Carter because of his work on Habitagt for Humanity, but I don't respect him because he makes a lousy leader.

On a personal basis, I don't worry about either.  I try to live life in a positive manner, given the frailty of the human condition.  I do my best on everything I attempt, try to have a positive impact on every life I touch, and let the chips fall where they will from there.  I do not live my life to please others, although I will never intentionally harm another to obtain a goal ... unless its on the chess board, then the hell with ya all... LOL

dark_j3sus

Depends on how you mean it, like as a figure head or just a person.

But to me they go hand in hand.  I always respect someone I like, because I want them to like me back.  I can't say I always like someone I respect though, I have had a few bad teachers, and its so hard to bite my tongue at times.... 

artfizz

As a parent, would you rather your kids LIKED you or RESPECTED you? Liking without respect would possibly lead to delinquent kids; respect without liking would possibly lead to growing apart in later life.

aassdd22

I would rather be liked than respected, you dont have to be liked to be respected but you often respect those that you like

Tiger-13
i dunno, is it possible to have both?
GT_RAC3R

I would rather be respected. There is a boy named Darius Morris that played me twice in the tournaments(not both in ONE tournament). In the first game he was friendly. Then I beat him and he thought that was fine! BUT then I played him AGAIN and he told his dad(with me sitting there) "I don't want to play him! Please ask somebody to move me!" He was REALLY PO'd when I beat him agian!

~~My rating is 816! ( I have only started attending tournaments in January, 2010!

Vhazhiphor

Asking "liked vs. respected" is a bit blurry. Personally, I prefer Machiavelli's "loved vs. feared" idea. It is similar, in a way, and different in others. You may respect someone's authority, for example, but not respect them as a person. So you don't like/love them, but you fear them. In that case, as Machiavelli himself said:

"It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with...

Nevertheless a prince ought to inspire fear in such a way that, if he does not win love, he avoids hatred; because he can endure very well being feared whilst he is not hated. "

FlowerFlowers

respected

FlowerFlowers
Patzer24 wrote:

I would rather be liked first. Being respected just means you have lots of money or power but being liked by people means you are a good person and you have good personality traits such as honesty, kind, caring, and more.

Which means I would like to be a good person rather than have a lot of worldly possessions.

I respect the penniless, if they are respectable

RN9 wrote:
I would rather be respected. Respect = power and power = succes.

wrong.  first you get then money, then you get the power, then you get the women lol

jk .. but really I don't think respect = power or success.

FlowerFlowers

I could like those i respect

I could respect those i like

I could not like those i repect

I might not respect those I like.

I can respect those that don't like me, I can not like those that disrepect me.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I came up with this thought because I wondered why it was so easy for me to prefer respect to being liked. 

as far as being loved or feared hands down I'd pick being loved bien sur

"to thine own self be true"

ivandh

I would rather eat waffles

planeden

In my personal relationships I prefer to be liked.  Although, I think a personal relationship where you are liked and not respected is most likely shallow.  You may go have a beer with someone you like but don't respect, but I bet your best friends are both liked and respected. 

In business relationships I want to be respected first.  If my boss has no respect for my work, he should fire me no matter how much he likes having me around. 

As for wanting to be liked or respected being egocentric, that is a lie.  Everyone wants to be liked and/or respected.  However, if you fake who you are in order to be liked, then odds are doing it wrong.  Be the person you want to be and don't screw people over.  Then you will find people to like and respect you.  This is quite simplified, but really, it is an internet forum, how serious do we want to take it.