Forums

How to provoke a draw

Sort:
Carequinha

I know the basics on how to draw a game, but I can't "guide" the game in a way that leads to a draw.

You can imagine a pawns ending or pawns+rook or even bishop vs knight + pawns (in all cases the material result is equal between the 2 players).

Any advice on how to make a draw a "sure" thing (it's never sure, I just want to be more successfull at this component of my playing style -> I want to be able to draw)

Scottrf

Study endgames.

E.g. for rooks, you need to know the Philidor drawing method. For rook or bishop pawn on the 7th rank vs queen you should be able to draw, knowing to occupy the corner against a rook pawn, knowing the rules of opposition.

richardep

hey carequinha, just get in a winning position, then offer a draw!

Here_Is_Plenty

"How to provoke a draw" - Insult a cowboy; pay a sketch artist; support Scotland vs the Faroe Islands at football.

idoogy

Take ideas from Boris Gelfand's games against Ananed, he played for a draw.

ponz111

If you try too hard to make a draw two things may happen:

1. you may miss a win

2. you will not make the best move in each position

It is better just to try and make the very best move each time and the draws will then take care of themselves AND you will win some games you thought were susposed to be draws. 

1RedKnight99
paulgottlieb wrote:

Yes, and it's trivially easy to play as well as Boris Gelfand, so the draw should bea snap!

Gelfand was playing for a draw because he knew Anand was better.