Forums

Lessons i have learned

Sort:
littleman

Hi everyone here is 20 lessons i have learned along my path in chess...

1.) I learned to look before i leap! before i decide to make any real moves and again just before making it becuase somestimes i found i got so obsorbed in the variations i forgot to check again and have lost pieces and pawns....

2.)To not play the first move that comes to mind all the time because often there are better moves if we take the time to look....

3.) To not just play whatever move thinking it doesnt make any difference because it really does i have lost games because i played the right moves in the wrong order and that can be a painful lesson believe me.... 

4.)That development was more important then attacking straight away unless u have got a real chance of winning then attack like crazy till they fall apart normaly i only got that chance when they played a very bad opening idea ....

5.)That i shouldnt just play the opening because it looks good because sometimes u lose because u dont take the time to play the game not just play moves i have won and lost because of this....

6.)That the endgame really is important as impotant as the opening or even more so its worth the study again learned the hard way...

7.)Castle when needed not always because it looks good sometimes holding off is better....

8.)A bad plan is alot better then no plan at all.with out a plan ur lost before u started.....

10.)A knight on the rim is indeed dim 90% of the time they are much better on the 5th and 6th rank in the middle where they control 8 squares instead of 4 and are like thorns in opponents sides and they are great close quarter defenders and attackers but not so good from distance much better in closed positions then open ones...

11.)Rooks work best on the open files or at least semi open and when doubled especialy on the 7th ranks and bishops work best when positions are open at a distance especialy when put together 2 bishops on and open game are far better then 2 knights.... 

12.)learned that when in trouble keep active always and make things complex when your down sometimes the fact that u didnt fall apart gets to them and they make a mistake and your back in the game, simplify when your up but not at the expense of your postion....

13.)Always study the whole board not just apart of it or your side of it believe me u can forget ....

14.)Dont play Queen out to early and try silly attacks with her because she is worth so much and can be attacked in a big way against someone who knows what to do, think of the risk of losing her if u fail to break through....

15.)well courdanated pieces are very effective so dont play opening moves that inhibbit that to much....

16.) Dont be intimidated by much higher rated players every one can lose even masters so play your best chess always no matter who it is.But do respect players get to cocky and u will lose even against players much lower then you...

17.)Study your games well as they are good teachers especialy the losses and its worth the time to do so......

18.)Quality over Quantity is much better i found if i played more then 20 games at a time i had trouble keeping track of them and lost to much....

19.)i learned not to panic if someone plays and opening novelty or strange move idea but just stay calm and try to work out what they could be doing and just play standard chess dont try and be to fancy with it and lose the foccuss on what really matters...

20.)winning isnt every thing sometimes this is a hard one to remember because i like winning i always play to win except if im teaching sometimes and that u learn from it get better not bitter and not to be a sore loser or sore winner either gloating is such and ugly thing and players will mock u back when u lose be graceful in victory as u r in defeat....Cool

SunWorshipper

Thanks Littleman,

Thats very sane advice. Trick is to ponder and not be a fast finger freddie which players like me are.

1963super
sound advice Lm.yes sir if i did half that i would probably be ranked alot higher LOL
Queenie
Advice such as this is invaluable to players like me. At time's I play the opposite to everything listed above, and of course I lose a lot, but I will print this advice out, print it out and pin it up above where I sit and play. Thank you. 
TalFan
Someone wise once said  " In Chess winning isn't everything it's the only thing " , you should try to fight for every game and treat them all very importantly . I know when playing informally and online it's hard to do , but playing every game carefully and being fully dedicated can improve your game
Qxe8
Those are great guidelines to follow, and I can relate to every one of them. I would like to add that you MUST pay attention to your opponent's plans. When he/she makes a move you must ask yourself "Why did he play this move? Should I be worried? Do I have to react to it?" If you do this, your game will improve. If the move is a passive or a bad move, this will take a mere 15 seconds. If it is crucial, it will take you much longer but prevent any blunders. Also be aware of your opponent's pieces and what they are doing as well as your own. Be aware of all tactics, I can not count how many times I've lost an OTB game because I failed to see a simple pin. That's my two cents.
Derek-C-Goodwin
SunWorshipper wrote:

Thanks Littleman,

Thats very sane advice. Trick is to ponder and not be a fast finger freddie which players like me are.

I have a lady friend who is looking for a date......

ShadowCellen

Please grammar….