Forums

Right age to introduce chess to your children?

Sort:
mgx9600

I've been around a lot of pre-K, K, and 1st grade kids (used to volunteer at son's school a lot).  About 1/2 of the kids learn how to read at around 4; mostly picture books.  By 5, they are all pretty good at reading (except for a very few) and can read chapter books.  However, they don't really know how to write until 6 when they begin to know how to spell many words; although their fine motor writing control is still not very good so their writing is hard to read.

mgx9600

As for chess, we are friends with parents of a 4yr old who's currently around USCF 400, who started a few months ago when he was 3 yrs old at USCF 200.  So, reading/writing may not be necessary for chess.

ChessAuthor

Just something fun...

https://www.chess.com/blog/ChessAuthor/knightmare-onboard

RubenHogenhout
KnightWhoSaysNih schreef:

I learned it when I was five. My parents bought a game case that had several different games and chess was included. I asked mom to show me how it is played and she tried to make it sound as boring as possible, but I still wanted to play. I regret nothing. 

I taught my nephew to play and he's 8.

My son is 8 now too. Maybe it is a bit late but it is still I think a good time to learn chess. I also leared it about this ages I gues maybe it could also be 7.  Checkers he can allready play. And also simple combinations like Bd3 xf5 a knight and after that Nh6+ win a piece with a double attack against a bishop on f5 and an king on g8, that he understands. Also they started to play chess on his school.  the only problem I have is that his mother does not to want to stimulate him in everything I could like. It does not matter if it is chess or playing the piano or soccer. Then she makes it against him. thats a bit of a pitty. So maybe I should forget about it. But still he likes it so now and then to play chess on the mobile phone. 

When I was abou 10 years I played schoolchess in a team and I remeber I won 9 out of 10 games then. I was happy about this. When I was about 9 years I started with pianolessons. When I was abou 11  I could play some simple sonatines of Beethoven or Hayden Or Mozart. To me I would be so nice I he learned a music intrument. Does not matter so much with instrument.  At least he can allready ice skating now! 

Senior-Lazarus_Long

56 same age they should be allowed to date.

hitthepin
Show them when they’re 4. If they take a liking to it, great, if they don’t, wait a little.
Ziryab

Vudu72

I coach in several elementary school districts. As in anything, individual differences matter. I see some strong first, and certainly second graders. This leads me to believe that many four or five-year olds are ready to learn, if interested and motivated. I have also seen bright fifth and sixth graders pick it up and progress rapidly, with little experience. Lastly, never discount the ability of young girls to become successful competitive chess players. 

Statute

It's already too late stop asking and do it

josephyossi
lonsharim wrote:

Hello all,

I was wondering what is the right age to introduce chess to your children. This question does not have an immediate relevance to me as my 2 kids are still very young. The oldest is 4 and 1/2 years old. Although she is smart (I suppose parents are predisposed to think that way about their kids) 5 or even 6 may be too early to start. What should be the ideal age to introduce a logic stimulating exercise like chess?

I learnt chess moves at the age of 9 myself. One of my uncles gifted a couple of books to me and my sister during family visits. She got a book on introduction to chess and I got a book on Karate. I liked the chess book more :) and read it and got hooked. Ironically my uncle did not play chess and neither did my parents. Since then I have had an on off relationship with the chess and have played it occasionally ever since.

Cheers
lonsharim

never

josephyossi

i just said that..

DiogenesDue

You introduce chess to your child when they walk up to you and say "What's that?" wink.png.

NathanMa17

Around 9-12

I got introduced just earlier this year

josephyossi

i wsa introduced at 4 or 5