Forums

Starting A Chess Club

Sort:
wcaulkins

I recently started a chess club for Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I am really struggling to get the club under its feet.  We can't afford chess clocks or a chess mentor so I've been teaching the club myself, but this is insufficient because I myself have only been playing for a little less than 6 months.  I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help with running and organizing our chess club?  I've been using money out of pocket to support the club, and we currently only have about 8 members.  Any ideas for recruitment?

wcaulkins

Scratch that... My friend Jesse and I started it and are running it.  I'm the Pres. and he's the VP.  We're both Currently Freshmen.

azziralc

Advertse your club here on chess.com local section, and many chess player will see that and can join your club.

azziralc

Chess Club was like a chess school and so your teaching lessons. Nowadays, having a computer on chess club will help you a lot, you can use it as a database of your members. 

Tournaments was also needed on chess club but since it's new, having advertisements will keep many chess players seen your club.

konhidras

Get an adviser preferably one of your professors who also play chess or teachers who are into PR relations subjects. They might have contacts or may lead you to people who could sponsor your club say: medical companies like pfizer etc. or food products like Nestle,Mcdonalds. Even local govt officials are supportive of recreational clubs like chess clubs. Organize sponsored torneys in their names Mcdo Chess blah blah or "the 1st Councilor Nuttcracker tourney etc." sponsored by Nestle  and pfizer" as an example. You got to have the connections first.gud luck

Hugh_T_Patterson

I applaud you for starting a chess club. Use the internet's many chess resources. There are a number of sites that specialize in free lessons and handouts you can give to your group's members (google "free chess handouts" and "free chess lessons"). A faculty advisor is an excellent idea. Find one who plays chess. Contact the school administration, tell them you formed a chess club and ask about possible funding. You might get enough money to get a few clocks, etc. Also, you can work as a group to play through a published game or two. You can look up games online (I suggest sticking to some easier to digest games such as those by Paul Morphy), write down the moves and play through the game as a group. Discuss the pros and cons of each move. It's a great and cheap way to improve one's game. Let me know if you need any other suggestions by sending me a message (I don't always have the time to check the postings here).

CraftBukkit

I've heard that national chess federations are helping out clubs, so maybe contact them?

And since your a Diamond member you should advertice and start a group for your club on Chess.com, it's a great way to start tournaments and matches for your club!

fredm73

I wrote some free software that I have been using for kids' chess clubs.  You might find it useful -- read the documentation to see. https://sites.google.com/site/fredm/

wcaulkins

thanks fredm73!

kavitenyo
wcaulkins wrote:

I recently started a chess club for Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I am really struggling to get the club under its feet.  We can't afford chess clocks or a chess mentor so I've been teaching the club myself, but this is insufficient because I myself have only been playing for a little less than 6 months.  I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas that might help with running and organizing our chess club?  I've been using money out of pocket to support the club, and we currently only have about 8 members.  Any ideas for recruitment?

i have personalized book to offer. i mean i should know your skills then,, i will make book for u. exclusively. from oppening to endgame. it is lessons that is good of 15 sessions