Forums

Chat tab no longer default for online games?

Sort:
AlanL

When I view an online game, the panel on the right with the four tabs (Moves, Chat, Details, and Notes) used to have Chat as the default view.  Today, my games started displaying Moves as the default.  This is a little annoying, because now I have to click on Chat to see if my opponent has posted anything.

Is this new behavior deliberate? Is there a way for me to set what my default view is? 

Thanks.

HessianWarrior

It has happened to me too and is very annoying because sometimes opponents message you but then most times they don't. I don't want to check every chat box to see if anything has been said. If I don't check the chat and they have sent something, then I will appear to be a rude player.

dillydream

It has happened to me too, and I also find it very annoying.  I hope the Staff can find a way to change it back.

MichaelJohnB

I think if your opponent sends a message, you will see a red asterisk on the chat tab. Personally I prefer 'moves' as default - I was always switching over to it.

TadDude
AlanL wrote:

When I view an online game, the panel on the right with the four tabs (Moves, Chat, Details, and Notes) used to have Chat as the default view.  Today, my games started displaying Moves as the default.  This is a little annoying, because now I have to click on Chat to see if my opponent has posted anything.

Is this new behavior deliberate? Is there a way for me to set what my default view is? 

Thanks.

Should not have to click on the tab.

"The Chat tab will always have focus as players make their first moves in each game. And the Chat tab will also have focus any time you have new messages to read."

http://blog.chess.com/webmaster/site-enhancements---20110616

AlanL
...the Chat tab will also have focus any time you have new messages to read.

This is the part I wanted to see. Thanks!

vinpaysdoc

Boo hiss. Please change it back.

Larsera

yes, please return us....

TheGiraffe

Or perhaps allow us to choose the default tab in settings?

jytou

> Or perhaps allow us to choose the default tab in settings?

+1

Artsew
WellRead wrote:

In my qualified opinion it was an excellent change.  Personally, there should be no chatting during a chess match anyway.  Well done Chess.com.

Your finest move thus far,

Haywood

If I remember correctly you recently also stated that the Forum's should be removed. Yet you keep posting in them? Undecided

kohai

TheMouse, thats for kids and their parents/coaches only.

Larsera

For me, chess is a human activitiy - the chat window provides a reminder that we are sharing an activity with another human.  If I wanted to exercize with a computer I would save my chess.com dues and buy a chess engine....

For more comments, see:  http://blog.chess.com/webmaster/site-enhancements---20110616

kohai

If any new chat is posted to you by your opponent in the game, the chat tab appears first.

vinpaysdoc

We understand that. The trouble is that we are finding this a functionality problem NOW that wasn't an issue before. If it wasn't a problem for us this thread would not exist.

whirlwind2011

I also don't understand why people will not at least give this new configuration some time, be willing to get used to it a bit, and maybe even eventually warm up to it. People may find that, with time, this set-up works perfectly well and fits their needs.

@vinpaysdoc: You cannot say that a functionality problem exists unless 1) the Chat tab doesn't work at all when you click on it, or 2) when new messages are left for you, the Chat tab doesn't appear first, as promised by kohai. Are you encountering either of these two problems?

@Larsera: Chess engines are irrelevant to this discussion. You have been and always will be playing human beings. With the new change, your chess experience may seem to be less human, I concede. However, the reminder that you claim to be losing remains only a click away.

Larsera

Whirlwind2011 - and everyone else.  Just to be clear:  Yes, it is a click away.  Yes, if my opponent has sent a message, I will see it without even needing that click.  I understand this.  And I understand that for some people the new configuration will suit their needs better - and I do not believe or mean to suggest that my desire should supercede the desires of others.  Here is my point:  In playing here for almost three years now, I have gotten used to always seeing the chat window - and knowing what has most recently transpired in the conversation I am having with my opponent.  I don't chat with everyone - maybe only 10% of my games.  But it is a human connection - and the human connection is the biggest reason that I play chess on this site.  For myself - I click on move when I want to use the features that links to - particularly the analysis board.  Frankly, if I want to review my position, which I frequently do - I use the controls at the bottom of the board to replay the last few moves - the notation is only important if I want to communicate something specific to my opponent --- emphasis for clarity - the only time I use the notation that is now the default is when I want it for communication to a human via the chat window.

I do not understand what goes into running a site like this, and I do very much appreciate the effort of Erik and the staff to maintain this as a great experience.  My request may be to complex to set up, but would it not be possible to allow players to set their own default as to which window they want open?

jimstaplja1

Allow players to set their preference. I rarely find the need to look at the moves history; details is a quick way to see in a glance how I am doing in a game. I like the idea of chat coming up first if you have a new message. If I could configure it so that details is the default and then chat if new message that is what I would do.

kohai

http://blog.chess.com/webmaster/site-enhancements---20110630

AlanL
staplja1 wrote:

Allow players to set their preference.

I think it should be sticky (persistent).  Once you click a tab for a particular game, it stays on that tab for that game until changed.